Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39527
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 6:25am

Topic: Best ignition coil
Posted By: robbied
Subject: Best ignition coil
Date Posted: July-30-2016 at 3:07pm
What is the best ignition coil for a Nautique 2001, looking for reliability.

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-30-2016 at 3:44pm
One that works and doesn't overheat.

Did you ever figure out your issues in your "coil overheating" thread?

You have a Mallory E spark so why not follow their recommendations?

KenO

Posted By: robbied
Date Posted: July-30-2016 at 6:10pm
Yeah kind of getting there, but when hot gets a little lumpy now so thinking although the issue may be sorted the coil has been degraded. At the moment the solutions were reducing the voltage. In a pot on regulator and changing the E-spark module. I was out today, didn't cut out but was still a little lumpy after 45minuts or so

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-31-2016 at 2:11am
Everybody has their favorite - mine is the MSD high vibration epoxy filled coil.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Tilleryboy
Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 10:00pm
Pertronix flame thrower epoxy filled

Posted By: DayTony
Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 2:38am
I'm with the MSD crowd, A good set of wires are also important too.
From my experience I personally would stay away from anything accell.

-------------
1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 6:34am
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

I'm with the MSD crowd, A good set of wires are also important too.
From my experience I personally would stay away from anything accell.

Gonna be kinda hard to stay away from Accell, Mallory, or MSD now that they are one of the same. Below are some posts that I found.

(dated over a year ago)   Yesterday MSD Performance announced that they have officially acquired the ACCEL Performance Group who owns not only ACCEL Ignition, but also Mr. Gasket, Mallory Ignition, Lakewood, Quicktime, and Hays.
Holley has announced that it will acquire the El Paso, Texas–based MSD Group, which includes brands such as Mr. Gasket, Accel, Superchips, Edge, Racepak, Mallory, Hays, QuickTime, and Lakewood. This will bolster Holley’s roster of speed-part brands that already includes Weiand, NOS, Hooker, Flowtech, and Earls

The following site will fill you in.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/holley-buys-msd-group-racepak-malory-edge-accel-superchips-and-more-join-holleys-tree-of-speed-parts/

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 6:39am
FYI As a side note to the topic of coils, most Electronic Ignitions state that you do NOT use solid core wires. I had a "marine" set of wires that were marked S/S. Changed them out to what MSD recommended. Some of your older wires were also copper, another no no.

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 8:44am
Interesting, thats a good thing i hope. I actually have never seen an accell coil fail. My tiff is with the wires even though this thread was about coils. But my experience with Accell is not current so it may not apply because we sold our engine dyno about 5 years ago. But there was a point when during our busy season we would run 2-3 engines a week. People always seemed to bring us accell wires (i think they were the only ones making pretty colored wires) But to pull a brand new set of wires out of the box, install them, and stand there and watch them leak, one set after another.It got to a point where we stopped putting them on.
We had a "loaner" set of super condutor MSD wires that we would run because we knew they were good. and actually those are the same exact wires on my boat right now. Its probably safe to say, that set of msd wires has close to if not more hours on them than the 1988 engine itself and they're still going strong.

we have a coil test machine here that barely gets used anymore because if anything is suspect we just replace nowadays. But It would be interesting to test a pile of new coils of different brands and see how strong a spark you get from each.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 11:07am
Tony, I've got a few coils I could send you. That sounds very interesting.

Date Posted: August-04-2016 at 1:36am
we can definitely do that. I have vacation this following week and the CT mini the next week end but after that i would have time to put together some kind of video or document some tests.
I have MSD coils and stuff laying around like it's going out of style but other than some napa ones I don't have any of the popular off the shelf stuff most people are running unless i remove them from running vehicles.
edit* i could always purchase a pile of them then return them haha.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-04-2016 at 11:28am
this sounds like a winter project.

Posted By: john_33612
Date Posted: August-05-2016 at 4:30pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mallory-Promaster-Classic-Series-Coils-29440-NEW-/322212510087?hash=item4b055cb987:g:5oUAAOSw-YVXnrLA&vxp=mtr

Print Page | Close Window