Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39558
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 6:31am

Topic: 2001 SAN 210 GT40- Dies Under Load
Posted By: brock.higdon
Subject: 2001 SAN 210 GT40- Dies Under Load
Date Posted: August-01-2016 at 4:57pm
Planet Nautique said you guys are the experts on tech help, so here go!

When I first bought the boat it would randomly die and trip a breaker while cruising. You would have to wait about 15 min then reset breaker and it was good to go rest of day. Finally figured out it was the low pressure fuel pump). Replaced beginning of last summer and no more issues.

Yesterday, it did almost the same thing. The difference was, it does it under load (coming onto plane) and it spits and sputters before it dies. Took 20 minutes before it would restart. Was easing back to the dock, started to throttle up and it did it again. Got a tow back to the dock at this point. TIed up, checked everything, and decided to crank it again. Idled fine. Reved in neutral fine. Decided to take for another test drive, pulled off from dock, hammered it, and as it planed, spit sputter die and won't restart for 15 minutes or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have some friends supposed to be coming from out of town this coming up weekend to hit the lake.

Replies:
Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: August-01-2016 at 11:12pm
What RPM is it sputtering at sounds like it's going into safe mode witch would be temp or oil pressure. If both those are good then it may be a faulty sensor of one of the two.

Date Posted: August-01-2016 at 11:14pm
Temp and oil pressure are good. I don't remember what RPM, but from idle to full throttle, it would go about 4-5 seconds so I'm sure the RPM's are on up there.

Date Posted: August-01-2016 at 11:20pm
You need to check the rpm that is a tell tale sign other than that without more diagnostic info all would be a guess.

Date Posted: August-01-2016 at 11:22pm
Im going to head to the lake tomorrow after work and I will check again, but I don't think it was very RPM specific. The time it died on a full throttle run, I'm sure was running higher RPM's than when it died when I was causing at idle and slowly started throttling up.

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 9:56am
Now, is it still tripping the breaker?

Or is this a different issue altogether?

Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 10:02am
I don't think it is tripping the breaker now. But before, it was always very hard to tell if the breaker was actually tripped or not so it could be. I was pretty frustrated Sunday.

I hate throwing parts at a problem, but I really want to be able to use the boat this weekend. The guys over at PN are voting fuel filter/high pressure pump on the FCC. I have them and both relays ordered 2nd day air.

Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 11:00am
Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge? That's the easiest way to see if it's a pump or fuel pressure related.

Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 11:01am
I have not. I should be able to check that this afternoon.

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 11:31am
Don't overlook the possibility of traditional tune-up parts, like spark plug wires and cap and rotor.

Another thing I'd be looking at is the infamous tube inside the Fuel Control Cell.

Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 11:41am
I'm not saying it ISN'T a tune up problem, but I wouldn't really think that's it being that I burned 26 gallons of fuel Saturday with zero issues.

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 12:04am
Got to the boat armed with 2 bottles of Seafoam and 2 bottles of this stuff
http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/fuel-additive-and-cleaner/heet-12-oz-iso-gas-dryer-and-antifreeze/136368_0_0/?checkfit=true

Poured it all in, then got in the boat and drained the FCC.  Put the drain plug back in the FCC.  Fired boat up and let it idle for a bit.  Ran through the RPM's a few times in neutral once it was warm, then got ballsy.  Boat ran just like it never had any problems.  Go figure.  Guess Ill throw the fuel pump, relays, and filter that will be here tomorrow on the shelf and change them this winter.

Print Page | Close Window