Print Page | Close Window

ballast resister,PCM breakerless Prestolite Dist.

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39849
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 4:15am

Topic: ballast resister,PCM breakerless Prestolite Dist.
Posted By: TallTex
Subject: ballast resister,PCM breakerless Prestolite Dist.
Date Posted: September-04-2016 at 4:44pm
Looking for resistance specs for pre-coil ballast resistor;
same for the coil

Thank you if you know these or can point me to a chart/table in on of the online manuals

Replies:
Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: September-07-2016 at 5:30pm
What year boat/motor/ignition system are you asking about? Also, is it stock or modified?

Posted By: TallTex
Date Posted: September-07-2016 at 6:37pm
Hi, thank you. OEM. I think I learned it does not have one. Likes full 12 volts and a low resistance coil. PCM Prestolite breakerless induction distributor is on a 99 SNOB, 5.8
Found a great test manual/procedure by Indmar for same distributor. I am following those steps for now. Thanks again.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: September-07-2016 at 7:00pm
damnit. I measured the 87 PCM 351 in my garage and the ballast resistor came in at 1.8 ohm (loose terminal) and the coil was 1.7 kind of as expected. A stock 88 coil I measured over the summer was 1.6. I was feeling like KenO for a moment.

I was far too lazy to uncover my 88 and check it, and was supposed to ski tonight behind a few more late 80s CCs but the rain isn't going to allow it.

I can't think of anyone here with a late 90s carb boat at the moment.

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: September-07-2016 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

damnit. I measured the 87 PCM 351 in my garage and the ballast resistor came in at 1.8 ohm (loose terminal) and the coil was 1.7 kind of as expected. A stock 88 coil I measured over the summer was 1.6. I was feeling like KenO for a moment.

Attaboy Hollywood

You're much better looking though

If you really want to feel like me, you have to cut a coil apart to see what's inside

I have pictures of the inside of one, I think I put them here on CCF. I'll have to look for them.

For Tall Tex you should put a link to your find for the rest of the world to see and learn from

It might look like the one below
https://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/Indmar302-351FordIgnition.pdf" rel="nofollow - Bake's online 302/351 ignition

Posted By: dip
Date Posted: September-07-2016 at 8:39pm
Call Vince at Discount Inboard Marine. I'm sure he knows. He told me to look for 1.8 on my 93, if I recall correctly. They are the best customer service I've ever had anywhere.

Print Page | Close Window