Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39887
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 4:23am

Topic: Voltage drop/leak to + side of coil
Posted By: TallTex
Subject: Voltage drop/leak to + side of coil
Date Posted: September-09-2016 at 12:43am
99 SN. Fixed the no volts to system issue by replacing 50amp circuit breaker. However, still chasing a poltergeist...

Prestolite Electronic Breakerless Distributor.
Primary system voltage drop test shows mine is dropping or leaking 2.5-3.0 volts from battery to + side of coil. (suppose to be 1-volt or less drop) mine is 9-10 volts at +coil terminal. So I have been R & R battery cables, wires, connections, flexing, moving wiring, etc trying to observe any fluctuation or upside in voltmeter. Batt cables, ignition switch, starter relay, Stumped the chump.

Does anyone know normal specs of resistance for:
batt cable
ignition switch
starter relay
dash volt meter

Thank you.

Replies:
Posted By: TallTex
Date Posted: September-09-2016 at 11:27am
FYI: I may have discovered my mistake after watching youtube video by "Schrodingers Box", to correctly ID voltage drop, the system must be under the load, not static or "capped" off as Schrodingers video shows or you miss finding real problem and just replacing parts that do not need replacement. (relay, starter, etc.). Now back to the drawing board but with a better understanding of where,what, why to test.

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: September-09-2016 at 11:58am
You can check for voltage drop without a full load. It just won't be as great. Voltage loss is directly proportional to current flow. Sounds like you have a high resistance connection somewhere.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: September-09-2016 at 3:39pm
Maybe rig a constant (reasonable) load for test. Then use an IR thermometer & look for what is getting hot. Just another path . . .

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Print Page | Close Window