Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40491
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 2:25am

Topic: high temp teflon tape for tranny connections
Posted By: slmskrs
Subject: high temp teflon tape for tranny connections
Date Posted: February-04-2017 at 2:29pm
What should be used on the elbows on the 1.23/1 PCM tranny to the tranny cooler? Any teflon thread tape? Some sort of high temp tape, a thread sealer (in a tube), or nothing?

I got a new replacement tranny and elbow hose connector that screws into the tranny on the bottom actually bottoms out (the top one doesn't). I used thread sealant, but when I just now pulled one of the elbows from the old one, it looked like it might have had teflon tape. I can pull the problem one off and try one of the elbows from the old tranny to see if it might be the new elbow. If it's not the elbow, I'm sure I could get enough tape on it to make it snug andy maybe not bottom out. But is that the best way? I'm also a little concerned about getting anything inside the tranny (tape or sealant) since the orifices are fairly small. A guy at the auto parts store said to use thread sealant, but I don't think it will work since it bottoms out.

I don't want to hook up everything and have that spot leak since once I replace the exhaust headers/hoses, access becomes limited. I wanted to get this done today and water test it. But not too sure now.

Suggestions? Ideas? Warninging?

Thanks,

Gordon

-------------
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40

Replies:
Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: February-04-2017 at 6:53pm
Not a T tape guy personally. Some here will differ I am sure and that is fine. Tape will probably work. (however) For fuel and oil plumbed fittings I typically gravitate to the Permitex #1, full hardening paste. I like to do stuff once.

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: February-04-2017 at 6:54pm
Best stuff I have used.

https://www.zoro.com/loctite-pipe-thread-sealant-6ml-tube-low-white-2087068/i/G5770926/" rel="nofollow - Thread sealant

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: February-04-2017 at 7:52pm
Gordon,
If it's the NPT side yes, some type of sealant ether tape or the Loctite Duane mentions is good. If it's the flare, absolutely nothing.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: February-04-2017 at 8:20pm
Judging by your first post, you probably did something already since you wanted to test it today, but if it was me, I'd be looking for a new fitting or using one of the old ones like you mentioned in order to have one that doesn't bottom out.

Pipe thread fittings aren't meant to bottom out.

As you can see, everybody has a different opinion on sealant, but everybody recommends a sealant of one kind or another

Date Posted: February-05-2017 at 1:51am
Thanks everyone. It is the NPT side. It ends up that the female threading on the fitting on the transmission is "oversized'. I tried other elbows; same problem. I had originally used thread sealant, but it still bottomed out and while tight, It was still possible to turn it by hand. Granted, it is the return port from the cooler so shouldn't have high pressure. I had teflon tape, so I went ahead and used it so I can test the new tranny and all the fluid and water connections. Long term I suspect I'm going to have to get a replacement fitting from CC/SKIDIM. Luckily it is fairly easy to pull the fitting so I won't have to pull the tranny. But I'll waste two quarts of fluid.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it.

Gordon

-------------

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: February-05-2017 at 9:28am
Slmskrs

Kinda curious, what was the outcome of your thread linked below or in other words, what happened to your reverse?

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39925&KW=&title=123-1-transmission-problem-lost-reverse" rel="nofollow - your old thread

I'd be concerned with why my new transmission has in your words "oversized threads" since the next new fitting may not cure anything if that's the case.

Date Posted: February-06-2017 at 12:55am
I've taken pictures of the fitting and will send it off and see what they say. I have to assume it is just a bad one. I used teflon tape and water tested it this afternoon. Not leaking (but of course high heat, etc.).

I did reply on my other thread as well.

Thanks everyone.

Gordon

-------------

Print Page | Close Window