Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40697
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 2:33am

Topic: getting hot when shut off
Posted By: The Dude
Subject: getting hot when shut off
Date Posted: March-16-2017 at 11:57pm
Greetings:

I replaced the manifolds and risers last fall and didn't notice this problem right away but the last few times I've been out I've noticed the temp really rises when I shut the engine off . For instance, after pulling a skier on Tuesday, I shut the engine off to get the skier in the boat. When I turned the key back on the temp is up at about 210. It's running about 160 the rest of the time (whether under load or idling). Is this something I should be worried about?   Any ideas?

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 12:49am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Greetings:

Is this something I should be worried about?   

No.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 1:44am
I think the better question would be did it do this before you replaced the manifolds? Are they pcm's or aftermarket?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 4:52am
I have had two 351W powered Nautiques and they always will climb in temp a little after a hard run, 40 MPH barefoot runs really do this if you shut down quickly but I have never seen 210.   Maybe 180-190 but never 200+.
I had a Malibu between the Nautiques and it ran the 350 Chevy, it did the same thing after hard runs, 160-180 but never 200+.
I'm curious what others have had for experience.

-------------

Posted By: 2001SAN
Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 5:08am
My GT40 never climbs above 160. We normally cruise around 30 or at wakeboard speeds (20-25).

D.

-------------
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Greetings:

I replaced the manifolds and risers last fall and didn't notice this problem right away but the last few times I've been out I've noticed the temp really rises when I shut the engine off . For instance, after pulling a skier on Tuesday, I shut the engine off to get the skier in the boat. When I turned the key back on the temp is up at about 210. It's running about 160 the rest of the time (whether under load or idling). Is this something I should be worried about?   Any ideas?

Your engine is a big chunk of metal that's constantly producing lots of heat while it's running

The cooling system only pumps water through the engine while it's running since the raw water pump depends on engine rotation to turn it.

So......you're cruising along at 160 or so degrees and you turn the engine off. Your forced cooling water flow through the engine is gone.

The non running engine is a big chunk of metal still giving up plenty of heat to the water that's in the block so the stagnant water heats up and your water temp gauge sees this. When you turn the key back on.to start the engine it's gonna be reading the temperature of that pretty much stagnant water..

As soon as the engine is running, you have your forced cooling flow again and your temp goes back down to normal

That's a short, somewhat simplified explanation

Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 1:59pm
Thanks everyone.

PCM manifolds and risers.

It was doing this before I replaced them, but not to the same level. More like what you guys described--a climb of 20 degrees. This is more like a 40 degree climb.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 2:22pm
How far the temp climbs is going to be a function of water temp, air temp, how hard you ran it prior to shutting down, and how long you've been shut down for. 20-40deg certainly seems within the normal category of what I've seen. The cooling system is wholly ineffective when the engine is off.

I wouldn't give it any more thought.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 8:08pm
Restart it as soon as the skier boards. That will minimize the heat soak time.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-17-2017 at 8:38pm
y'all are awesome.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93

Print Page | Close Window