Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40711
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 2:27am

Topic: Rear main issues
Posted By: kelpfish
Subject: Rear main issues
Date Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:46pm
Good morning, Well after a great day of waterskiing here in sunny calif on saturday came home washed the boat and found a quart of oil under the engine. Rear main has decided to go out after 42 years.       I have few questions ?

1   has anyone ever used a crank sleeve on a reverse rotation rear main to make surface new again for fresh seal    silver seal makes these i believe.

2 if i did use a sleeve would i still have to use a reverse rotation seal ? Will get one no matter what just wondering ?

3 Who has best rear main seals for my 351w ?

4 Since i pulling motor out was gonna send in my BW 1:1 drive 70c to get serviced has 1200hr on it runs perfect but time to freshen her up. Who is the go to people to send it to
i live in calif but will ship it to have peace of mind ?

Thanks everyone

-------------
Live Your Dreams

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: March-20-2017 at 3:59pm
since you have a 73 vintage engine, you have a 2 piece rear main seal assuming the engine is original.

The seal is nothing special, you can use any 2 piece automotive one for a 351w.

Your 70's crank has wick lines or some call them a helix machined into it, in front of the rear main seal. For a reverse rotation engine those lines are opposite of the normal rotation engine. They serve to deflect oil away from the seal and the seal itself is interchangeable between a normal and reverse rotation engine.(None of this applies to one piece rear main seal 351w's)

Some outfits will want to sell you a 2 piece reverse rotation rear main seal for lotsa money......you don't need it.

A speedi sleeve will work if the seal contact area is no longer smooth.

As far as the best seal, lots of opinions but probably most people's opinion would be FelPro or to put it differently, you can't go wrong with FelPro.

Do a search here on CCF for rear main seal or speedi sleeve. You'll have plenty of reading, a lot of it confusing

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: March-21-2017 at 1:40pm
Here's a picture with a part number for a Fel Pro 2 pc 351w rear main seal

Part number BS40042 and it's "hecho en Mexico"

Here's a not so good picture of one half of the seal and my well manicured thumbnail

Hard to see, but nothing on the seal to make it directional.

Print Page | Close Window