Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41075
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 12:25am

Topic: 1989 nautique running hot
Posted By: popparuch
Subject: 1989 nautique running hot
Date Posted: May-15-2017 at 11:17pm
Im new to this site simply because I've had no major issues with my boat till now.Its a 1989 2001 ski nautique with 850 hrs. put boat in earlier this year and while idling at boat ramp there was lots of steam coming from exhaust and temps went up fast. tried priming lines which didnt help . I let cool down then took across lake to force water into inlet it ran at160 while going about 20 25mph   as soon as i slowed temps increased...   brought home replaced impeller it did not look bad but replaced anyway. took out this weekend and it did same thing minus the steam   course did not let sit and idle.    what would be next to check?   thanks in advance

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-16-2017 at 12:07am
Check for an air leak before the raw water pump. Use a nutdriver to tighten connections not a screwdriver, Check gasket on strainer. Much like drinking thru a straw with a cut or hole in it's side air pulls thru easier than the water,air breaks the suction of the pump.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: May-16-2017 at 3:35am
1989... your hoses could be nearly 30 years old now. Old rubber hoses dru out and crack just like tires.

Not only do the clamps have to be tight but the hoses and barbs need to be fully seated up the barbs of your fittings.

Date Posted: May-16-2017 at 9:07am
thanks for the ideas i will check those out today

Posted By: scootdogydog
Date Posted: May-16-2017 at 9:51am
Pete must have missed this thread. In addition to the other suggestions, make sure your impeller is OEM brand, not a sierra.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7183" rel="nofollow - 1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Date Posted: May-29-2017 at 9:59pm
thanks for the quick responses   sorry for not giving update sooner   I found one of the clamps was loose. I ran the boat off a bucket of water and it stayed just under 160 while at idle and 145 or so when running about 2k rpms     My son took out and it did great for first part of day but second half it wanted to heat up to like 190 when going slow. found today that there was no thermostat in it has been that way since i owned it(about 8 years). put in a 160 degree at idle it would heat up to 200+ about 190 at 2krpm. long story short ended up putting at second temp gauge in water port on intake that gauge is running 20 degrres cooler at idle and 2krpm.   than gauge on console. don't want to just throw parts at it   not sure if sending unit is bad or temp gauge any ideas? thanks

Posted By: bb12
Date Posted: May-29-2017 at 10:57pm
I think you said you put a 160 Tstat in it, you need a 143. That's the first place to start. Secondly, have you confirmed your temps with an IR thermometer?

-------------
1989 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: May-29-2017 at 11:02pm
yes i did confirm the temps with infrared thats whet made me put second gauge on to confirm what i found with IR. Ill order a new thermostat tonight thanks

Print Page | Close Window