Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41430
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 10:18pm

Topic: Ready to run engine replacement 94 sport
Posted By: BoardsOnTheWater
Subject: Ready to run engine replacement 94 sport
Date Posted: July-06-2017 at 2:11am
I have a 94 sport nautique with the PCM Ford with ProTec ignition and TBI. I had been looking to convert the engine over to carbureted but I got a leak and rust problem on one side that is too bad to repair. The marine mechanic I had working on it believes the cost to try and rebuild would be more than getting a rebuilt. I can find plenty of rebuilt base engines, but it doesn't make any sense to put on the old computer and TBI system. So I am trying to find a good source for a ready to run rebuilt engine at an affordable price. Affordable to me means as low as possible.

Or am I better of just getting a base engine and buying and putting on the other pieces such as carb and electronic distributor, wiring harness, waterpump, etc?

Any suggestions or referrals to vendors or rebuilders would be appreciated. I am in the central Florida area.

Thanks,
Mike

Replies:
Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: July-06-2017 at 4:32am
If your boat runs the 1.23:1 transmission your engine is a standard rotation and that makes it the same as an automotive engine rotation. Will save you money.
A leak and a rust problem on an engine should always be repairable. More information is needed.
I believe Dreaming on this forum did the exact Engine upgrade last summer and might have some tips for you.

-------------

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: July-06-2017 at 2:39pm
Boards - welcome to the site.   I feel your pain...

So my suggestion is to loose the TBI, and the protec.   getting your engine fixed and then having to go through the trouble of fixing a known failure part would be really frustrating in my opinion.    

- Quick fuel carbs are not cheap, but are a good solution.
- there is a mastercraft team talk forum that has a member named mrmastercraft or something of the sort (peter)   he offers rebuilt holley's for about $400 with no core, so that might be an option for you since you don't have a core.   I have no personal experience with him, but the other reports I have seen have been favorable.
- lots of choices for engine builders and installers in your neighborhood... Jody seal from FL inboards does engine swaps, and may have a takeout engine that would be usable in your situation.

Summit racing has long block engines that were marine build's.   seems like a good fit if you go with a standard distributor in your change out. (they run a hi volume oil pump, not approved for the DUI distributor)

- I went with a local engine builder and got a roller cam, the extra couple of bucks should help my worries about finding hi zinc oil in the future, although I am running brad penn oil now which is a hi zinc compound.

If you have some reading time, here is http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31100&title=where-to-start-with-this-engine-rebuild" rel="nofollow - My engine story

Date Posted: July-06-2017 at 8:30pm

The leak was bad enough that the head bolts are breaking off. But I might get another mechanic to take a look at it.

Date Posted: July-06-2017 at 8:32pm
Dreamer thanks for the reply I will look at FL Inboaards. regarding the old gear, I was already planning to ditch the TBI and computer, I was just hoping I might find an engine with all the gear already on it.

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: July-07-2017 at 2:03pm
Jody is a member here (FLINBOARDS)   you could probably PM him, or I bet his number is in some of his old threads from the for sale section.

Print Page | Close Window