Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41480
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 10:13pm

Topic: Water in CYL #8
Posted By: Lakeview
Subject: Water in CYL #8
Date Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:26pm
85 Ski Nautique resurrection,351 W,engine has 900 hrs but when changing out old thermostat, there were signs of an overheat, and I think the original thermostat was still in the engine,Hooked up hose pressurized engine, cranked over and started, ran for two minutes and shut down, attempted restart and had hydrolock.#8 cyl pumping out water.
Pulled the head today, off to the machine shop tomorrow.I did do a leak down test on the cyl and could hear air escaping thru intake carb bores.

*** need a lesson on how to load photo's

-------------
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier

Replies:
Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 1:48pm
water in the cylinders often comes from the exhaust manifolds being bad.   Certainly having an intake leak could contribute if the issue comes from a blown head gasket or cracked head.   I would check the manifolds though, they are not cheap, but are an important part of the cooling system.

Pictures can be uploaded by using the "post reply" editor, and clicking on the tree icon.   then name the photo, click next, navigate to the photo and click the link.   The site will prompt you to be patient, click OK and then the text string/code will appear in the reply editor.   Some people get it right away, others struggle, so you may have to try it a couple of times.

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 1:52pm
I agree that it is most likely the exhaust manifold, either way you should be able to see a source now that you have the head off, its either a crack in the dome of the head, crack along the cylinder walls, evidence of a blown out head gasket, or signs of water and rust coming from the exhaust manifold.   Give everything a good looking over before you start investing in that head.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 1:53pm
Study the old head gasket very close. If it failed you will see damage and signs of leakage.
If it was formerly overheated you can mic the gasket at many points and see exactly wear the overheat happened.
When overheat happens the head will swell in the hot areas and crush the gasket slightly.
When it cools off the head shrinks back to size but the gasket remains crushed in the overheat area. It may measure .004 small in the crushed area. Those areas will fail when you run the engine again.
The head may also have warped or
Cracked if it got hot enough.
Separately if a marine exhaust manifold goes bad it can allow water to reach a cylinder.
Mark

-------------

Print Page | Close Window