Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41487
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 10:24pm

Topic: 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 Electrical Problems
Posted By: ben.hlaban
Subject: 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 Electrical Problems
Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 7:36pm
Disclosure: CCF newbie - I plan to get my diary started as soon as I can get some good pics rounded up!

Background: I've owned my 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 since '05 - It's my baby. I've gone through some structural/cosmetic work (i.e. stringer replacement, new seat skins, carpet, etc.) and a some mechanical work (i.e. new coil, new distributor, etc.) I recently replaced the alternator and have had "electrical" issues ever since (i.e. low voltage gauge reading, temperamental kill switch, and now complete loss of electrical function). The other day, I was pulling my daughter on a wakeboard and the engine died like I'd pulled the kill switch - Dash switches all still worked (i.e. ignition, blower, pumps, engine cranks but wouldn't start). I was easily/luckily towed back to the dock where I poked around a bit in bewilderment (checked connections, etc.) with no success. This morning, I decided to temporarily by-passed the kill switch and it fired back up - I thought I had it licked (need a new kill switch). I took it for a solo cruise across a calm lake at 3K RPM watching the sunrise. After about 5 minutes, everything just went dead - This time nothing worked (no ignition, no blower, no pumps, no cranking - nothing). The wiring in the boat looks really old and seems like a rat nest (probably mostly original, but I can't say for sure). I'd like to overall the wiring completely, but I fear 1) that may not be necessary 2) it's a lot of time/money and 3) I don't know what I'm doing.

Request: I'm looking for someone who can take a look at my boat, troubleshoot/fix the electrical issues, and recommend a plan of action (replacements, upgrades, etc.)

Anyone within a few hours of Appleton, WI would be ideal!

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 8:16pm
Ben,
Can you provide some more details on the ignition and alternator R&R you did? Why and what did you replace it with.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 9:30pm
Replaced old points distributor with optical (?) distributor, which if i recall required coil replacement, but that was back in '05 and has been awesome since. The alternator I don't remember where I ordered it from, but the old one broke (physically, when tightening during summarization), which was last year - That's when the issues started popping up.

Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 9:39pm
Ben,
Have you done anything to confirm the alternator is charging? With the engine not running, you should get the nominal 12 volts at the battery. Then, with the engine running you will get 14 plus volts. Was the replacement identical to the old or did you install a "one wire" alternator?

Is the distributor a complete unit or did you install one of the EI conversions in the old?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by ben.hlaban ben.hlaban wrote:

Replaced old points distributor with optical (?) distributor, which if i recall required coil replacement, but that was back in '05

Pete

Sure sounds like a whole distributor when you read the above.

And it sounds like a Mallory Unilite.

Is a one wire alternator something new to add to the list of things Pete doesn't like

Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 11:53pm
Ken,
I did read stated the distributor and I took it as such but just wanted to be sure.

What do you mean I don't like one wire alternators? I never said I didn't!! The closest I would have come to saying something about them would have been not in a classic where originality is needed!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ben,
Have you done anything to confirm the alternator is charging? With the engine not running, you should get the nominal 12 volts at the battery. Then, with the engine running you will get 14 plus volts. Was the replacement identical to the old or did you install a "one wire" alternator?

Is the distributor a complete unit or did you install one of the EI conversions in the old?

I used dashboard gauge to verify alternator (no multi-meter). At first had it hooked up wrong (had battery and ground mixed up). After I fixed that, gauge read ~10 volts at idle, but ~13+ volts with some RPM's. The replacement was not identical and it had a few more connection posts than the old (not sure what a "one wire" alternator is).

The distributor was a complete unit and a new coil (both Mallary, not sure what model). Can't remember if new coil was "required" with new distributor or if it was "recommended"

Date Posted: July-11-2017 at 11:56pm
Here's a wiring diagram for a 351 of about your vintage

Judging by your description of what happened I'd probably check the 20 amp ignition breaker on the dash and the 40 amp engine breaker on the back of the engine to see if either is tripped as a start.

The diagram doesn't have a kill switch because I don't think all years had them.

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:05am
Engine breaker was not tripped and I don't see any breaker in the dash other than the toggle buttons and the one labeled "Ignition" appears to function fine (clicks in/out like all the others). Is there another ignition breaker under the dash? If so, I don't see easily see one - Do I need to take the dashboard off to get at it?

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:08am
From the volt readings you are getting I'd suggest having the alternator checked. With the reverse connection of the battery, there's a good chance one or more diodes are blown in it's rectification bridge. Also, how are you cleaning the battery posts and the cable terminals?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:09am
You got the right breaker, the ignition breaker.

Somewhere in that diagram you'll find your problem though.

Don't forget to check the obvious like battery terminal connections

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:11am
Just put in a brand new battery and cleaned connections at the battery.

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:13am
I sense you'll be telling me to get a multi-meter out soon - I sort know how to use one, but don't know how to apply it to this situation (i.e. locations to test, what to test first, or even where to put the probes for each location)

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:18am

From the volt readings you are getting I'd suggest having the alternator checked. With the reverse connection of the battery, there's a good chance one or more diodes are blown in it's rectification bridge. Also, how are you cleaning the battery posts and the cable terminals?

I'll have the alternator tested and let you know. I clean the terminals with a wire brush.

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:22am
I'd look at the diagram and see if you have 12 volts at the batt terminal on the keyswitch (that's where the red wire hooks to the keyswitch)using a multimeter

If you don't, then go backwards toward the battery checking the ignition breaker to see if there is 12 volts in and out and the engine breaker to see if there is 12 volts in and out even if the breakers seem to be not tripped. Next going backwards would be the connection at the solenoid.

You can check that all those connections are clean and tight too.

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:27am

I sense you'll be telling me to get a multi-meter out soon - I sort know how to use one, but don't know how to apply it to this situation (i.e. locations to test, what to test first, or even where to put the probes for each location)

Set it on the 20 volt DC scale and black wire goes to a ground on engine.or battery and touch probe on the red wire to each of the connections I mentioned above.

Make sure you get the DC scale and not AC.

For practice just test your battery voltage the same way. Black to negative and red to positive and you should see roughly 12 volts

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I'd look at the diagram and see if you have 12 volts at the batt terminal on the keyswitch using a multimeter

If you don't, then go backwards toward the battery checking the ignition breaker to see if there is 12 volts in and out and the engine breaker to see if there is 12 volts in and out even if the breakers seem to be not tripped. Next going backwards would be the connection at the solenoid.

Should I do all this testing without the engine running? Is so, I assume the key should be in the "on" (or "running") position? Also, can you confirm where to touch each probe (i.e. red to test point and black to ground)?

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:30am
This forum is awesome - You seem to answer even before I ask!

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:32am

The closest I would have come to saying something about them would have been not in a classic where originality is needed!

Hey Ken this is from a guy who has a land line probably rotary service too

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:34am
Engine off and key off is good for this testing.

It doesn't run right now anyways does it?

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:40am
Correct, it does not run.

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The closest I would have come to saying something about them would have been not in a classic where originality is needed!

Maybe it's one of these

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:45am

Correct, it does not run.

I got the feeling you'll find that you don't have 12 volts at the key in that path from the battery that we talked about a handful of posts back.

Even if your alternator has no output the boat would have run on just the battery for a while and your dash power wouldn't have gone away completely. unless one of those breakers tripped or you have a broken connection

Check those places we mentioned in the morning or when you have a chance

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:55am
I'll do some testing Thursday as I'll be on the road all day tomorrow traveling home from vacation in AL.

And THANKS for all the help so far!

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 8:16am
Here's a link to a recent similar issue that turned out to be the main breaker and tells where he got a new one in case that turns out to be your issue.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41293&title=electrical-problem" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Maybe it's one of these

Ken and Gary,
You're close but I've gone modern with my equipment on the POT's line. Here's the latest from wonderful Frontier!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-14-2017 at 1:28am

I'd look at the diagram and see if you have 12 volts at the batt terminal on the keyswitch (that's where the red wire hooks to the keyswitch)using a multimeter

I was able to successfully use a multi-meter tonight to trace problem to the engine breaker.

Now, the question is what size?

There's a 50 AMP in there now, but the manual says 40 AMP and the link to the skidim part referenced earlier in thread is for a 40 AMP as well...

Date Posted: July-14-2017 at 1:30am

None of the auto parts stores could test my alternator, so I'm going to take it to an electrical shop tomorrow to get it checked out - I'll let you know how that goes as well.

Date Posted: July-14-2017 at 9:19am

I was able to successfully use a multi-meter tonight to trace problem to the engine breaker.

Now, the question is what size?

There's a 50 AMP in there now, but the manual says 40 AMP and the link to the skidim part referenced earlier in thread is for a 40 AMP as well...

Good job,Pete will be proud that you found it with a multimeter

The 40 amp will be fine, probably a better choice than a 50.

If you manage to trip a 40 amp breaker you have a problem with the electrical system anyways.

Date Posted: July-14-2017 at 4:09pm
I took my alternator into Fondy Auto Electric (http://www.fondyautoelectric.com/) to have it tested - They said everything looks good! My alternator is putting out max 51 AMPS, which brings into question the engine breaker size again. There's a 50 AMP breaker in there now, but it was tripped and potentially faulty so I'm going to replace it. According to my manual I need a 40 AMP breaker, but according to Fondy technician (Mark), I really should have a 60 AMP breaker if my alternator is capable of putting out 51 AMPS and I have a situation where my battery is low or has a bad cell, which would cause the alternator to output max 51 AMPs. Does anyone see a problem with putting in a 60 AMP breaker?

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: July-14-2017 at 4:57pm
It isn't really about what the charging system can put out. It is about what the wiring on the protected side of the breaker can handle. If the system becomes overloaded on the protected side and it is only able to handle a 40 amp draw but it is pulling 50 amps it will not trip the 60 amp breaker causing a potential hazard of wires overheating melting insulation and causing a fire or sparks that may ignite fuel vapor in the bilge/engine compartment of the boat.

Everyone here runs stock systems just fine with a 40 amp breaker and have done so for a very very long time. Stick with a 40.

Wiring issues on the protected side cause the breaker to trip not supply.

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: July-14-2017 at 5:03pm
I would stick with a 40 or 50.   If your electrical system starts drawing 51 amps you have a problem.

Date Posted: July-14-2017 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I would stick with a 40 or 50.   If your electrical system starts drawing 51 amps you have a problem.

+1 Stay with the original 40

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-15-2017 at 10:36am
Thanks everyone - I've got a new 50 AMP breaker on order and will be putting everything back together on Monday when it comes in. I will let you know how everything works!

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: July-15-2017 at 10:43am
Is your stock wiring sized to handle 50A or 40A? That is what the breaker is protecting.

Date Posted: July-15-2017 at 12:25pm
I upgraded the distributor back in 05 or 06 to a Mallory YLU554CV and the ignition coil to a Mallory 29216 at the same time. I'm pretty sure the alternator has been upgraded since factory, but I'm not sure about the wiring. The boat has had the same alternator and 50 AMP breaker in it since I bought it in '05, so that's what I'm going to replace it with.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: July-17-2017 at 10:00am
Good luck. 50 amps is too large to properly protect stock wiring.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: July-17-2017 at 10:36am
After reading this thread the other day I checked to see what size mine was on the 88', it was a 50 amp and pretty sure its OEM.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 7:34pm
With the new breaker installed, I have power to dash and the engine cranks but still will not fire - I'm guessing it's the kill switch. My kill switch has 4 connections - 2 labeled NC and 2 labeled NO. Using a multi-meter to test connectivity on OHM setting (tone), I did the following tests:

1) Lanyard attached, red to NO and black to other NO = No tone (open circuit)
2) Lanyard detached, red to NO and black to other NO = Tone (closed circuit)
3) Lanyard attached, red to NC and black to other NC = Tone (closed circuit)
4) Lanyard detached, red to NC and black to other NC = No tone (open circuit)

What is the correct way to connect the kill switch?

Furthermore, I thought I could just connect the 2 wires directly to each other (by-passing the kill switch all together) and the engine should fire, but it still does not. Also, I notice that my voltage gauge drops to 10 Volts when I have the 2 wires connected directly.

What's the next thing to check?

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 8:10pm
I'm not familiar with kill switches but I expect there are different ways to wire them.   I would try starting it with both wires disconnected. It may be wired to ground your ignition wire rather than opening the feed.

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 8:15pm
NO = normally open
NC = normally closed

It sounds like your switch is working. I haven't seen a kill switch in these boats wired to prevent ignition anyways... always prevents cranking so i don't think that's your issue.

Check for proper voltage to the ignition system, starting at the key switch.

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I haven't seen a kill switch in these boats wired to prevent ignition anyways... always prevents cranking so i don't think that's your issue..

Don't kill switches stop the engine by interrupting the power to the ignition. If you are tossed out of the boat, you want to stop the engine and not start it.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 8:23pm

NO = normally open
NC = normally closed

It sounds like your switch is working. I haven't seen a kill switch in these boats wired to prevent ignition anyways... always prevents cranking so i don't think that's your issue.

Check for proper voltage to the ignition system, starting at the key switch.

So, I guess my question is should it be connected to the NC or NO connections? Either way (1) wires completely disconnected or 2) wires connected directly together), it doesn't fire - I have 12 volts at the key and at the 20 AMP dash breaker. The engine cranks, but won't fire. What's the best way to confirm spark?

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 8:25pm
Is it possible my coil or distributor were damaged by mis-wiring (when I hooked up the alternator incorrectly at first)?

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 8:28pm

I haven't seen a kill switch in these boats wired to prevent ignition anyways... always prevents cranking so i don't think that's your issue..

Don't kill switches stop the engine by interrupting the power to the ignition. If you are tossed out of the boat, you want to stop the engine and not start it.

I will try to be more clear...

The factory kill switches I have seen wired interrupt power to the dash (between batt 12v and the key) so it will prevent cranking AND cut power to the ignition. (As opposed to being connected in line with the ignition ONLY.)

Voltage needs to be verified at the key switch at the I terminal in both the start and run positions, obviously there is battery voltage at the switch (B terminal) if it cranks.

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 8:43pm
Well it's back to the TRB wiring diagram

You could pull a plug and check for spark.

If you have spark you could skip the rest of what I've written

If you don't have spark, then continue on

Turn your key to the RUN position and see if you have roughly 9 to 12 volts at the coil positive terminal and post the results

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 8:59pm

So, I guess my question is should it be connected to the NC or NO connections? Either way (1) wires completely disconnected or 2) wires connected directly together), it doesn't fire - I have 12 volts at the key and at the 20 AMP dash breaker. The engine cranks, but won't fire. What's the best way to confirm spark?

If it is supposed to open the circuit when the lanyard is removed then use the NC connections that you measured in #3.   With the lanyard attached the circuit should be closed. I assume that with the wires disconnected it didn't crank or fire. Not sure you said that above.

Date Posted: July-18-2017 at 10:10pm
Me and Tim don't usually disagree but I think the safety lanyard only kills power to the ignition system and the engine will still crank over but have no spark.

That's what I've seen on other brand boats that begin with letters like an M. and none of my boats have a lanyard.

That way you're not killing power to things like the lights and the bilge pump that might come in handy to have in certain situations.

I suppose you could tap it in after the hot feed to the dash and before the key and still power the pump and lights etc. but the ones I've seen will let you crank the engine with the lanyard disconnected

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 12:31am
Darn site hung up but your recent edit is consistent with what I was wondering. I wish I had some of those lanyard-equipped mid 90's CC's still around to confirm, but I recall them being unable to crank when the switch was tripped. Could very well have been in line between breaker and key.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 1:12am
Just to clear things up - The boat cranks, but won't fire either way - With the kill switch wires completely disconnected AND with the kill switch wires directly connected together (no kill switch whatsoever) - I'm just wanting to take the kill switch out of the equation, which is why I'm wanting to know if the circuit should be open or closed under normal operation. I'm 90% sure the circuit should be closed, but I just wanted to double-check.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 1:28am

Well it's back to the TRB wiring diagram

You could pull a plug and check for spark.

If you have spark you could skip the rest of what I've written

If you don't have spark, then continue on

Turn your key to the RUN position and see if you have roughly 9 to 12 volts at the coil positive terminal and post the results

With ignition ON and key ON, my coil is getting ~4 volts on the positive terminal - I assume this is because of the ballast resister, which is getting ~9 volts on the one side and ~4 volts on the other side.

With ignition ON and key OFF, I get 12 volts on the one side of the key and none the other. With ignition ON and key ON, I get ~10 volts on both sides of the key.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 1:39am
I also confirmed that the Mallory 29216 coil requires the ballast resistor - The following was taken directly from the coil's install instructions:

Quote Remove all wires connected to the (+) positive terminal of the original coil and connect here, to the positive (+) terminal of the Mallory coil. Do not remove or bypass the original equipment resistor for any reason (Terminal may be marked BAT).

NOTE: Most late model cars are equipped with a ballast or loom resistor. Do not bypass this resistor when installing this coil. If there is no original equipment resistor in the circuit, use Mallory Resistor Part No. 700.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:08am
Like Keno said check for spark. And 9 volts at the input to the resistor sounds low. In your first post you said that after the first time it died you bypassed the kill switch and it fired back up.   I think you have a bad connection or device in the ignition voltage path. Key switch, kill switch or maybe a bad crimp in the dash. When you bypassed the kill switch it gave you a little more voltage and it started so you are near the threshold of working/not working.   You should have 12 volts (or close to battery voltage whatever that is) at both sides of the key switch when it is in the run position. I think you are a couple of volts low.   It may be that your electronic ignition module isn't getting enough voltage. The spark test will tell you if it's working. Also, how do have the ignition module wired. The mallory in my '89 requires that the ei module is connected before the resistor not after. Only the coil gets it's voltage through the resistor. Since your key voltage is low you can check the voltage with the key in the run position at the dash ignition breaker and then the engine breaker. You are losing voltage somewhere in the path.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:42am

Just to clear things up - The boat cranks, but won't fire either way - With the kill switch wires completely disconnected AND with the kill switch wires directly connected together (no kill switch whatsoever) - I'm just wanting to take the kill switch out of the equation, which is why I'm wanting to know if the circuit should be open or closed under normal operation. I'm 90% sure the circuit should be closed, but I just wanted to double-check.

Lets go with 100% sure the circuit should be closed for the ignition system to work. Wires directly connected.

Your 9 volt and 4 volt readings are probably OK, telling me that the coil right now is grounded through the distributor.(if it had points, it would be like the points were closed) Also, if you unplug your electric choke the readings will go up since it's drawing power with the key on (it draws about 1 amp and causes about a 1 volt drop)

If you bumped the engine over slightly your readings should change as the coil becomes ungrounded. They would go up. As you crank the engine they would constantly fluctuate as the coil is grounded then ungrounded as the distributor turns

Kinda a lot to digest here but it'll tell you if the module got fried back when the boat quit

Here'a a test procedure for your Unilite distributor module. It basically grounds and ungrounds your coil to see if the module is working correctly when you put the piece of plastic in or take it out Do this with the choke unplugged.

The test simulates the shutter wheel grounding and ungrounding the coil

As it says, change in voltage is a good thing during the test. You may not get 12 volts in the first step since you have a ballast resistor but do these checks and post what you have for results.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/337302/mallory-ignition-mallory-unilite-test-procedure-mallory-unilite-test-procedure-605.html" rel="nofollow - test procedure

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 9:14am
You could still be dealing with supply voltage issues but doing the module test will tell you if the module is good or bad.

I'm not sure it was ever determined what caused your breaker to trip so there may have been voltage issues that affected the module and this check is easy and worthwhile.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:38pm

Also, if you unplug your electric choke the readings will go up since it's drawing power with the key on (it draws about 1 amp and causes about a 1 volt drop)

How do I "unplug" the electric choke? I'll try to included a picture...

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:42pm

Here'a a test procedure for your Unilite distributor module. It basically grounds and ungrounds your coil to see if the module is working correctly when you put the piece of plastic in or take it out Do this with the choke unplugged.

I'm having a hard time understanding the test procedures you linked - Nothing works like they say in the document.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:58pm
It may be easier just to pull a plug and check for a spark.   If you get a spark then the module is working.   To disconnect the choke just pull on one of those wires. They are spade connectors with insulation goop over them.

edit: pull the black wire so you don't accidentally short the positive to something.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:59pm
I pulled a plug and have no spark.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:00pm
I also took the coil in to have it tested at Fondy Auto Electric - They said the coil is fine.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:01pm
Ben,
Try in detail what results you get when you go through steps 1,2 and 3 of the test.

Regarding the choke, looks like someone put liquid electric tape on the quick connects. You'll need to scrape it off to disconnect ether wire.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:05pm
http://documents.holley.com/mallory_instructions_unilite_distributor_37_38_45_47.pdf" rel="nofollow - Link to Mallory instructions

According to these instructions the red wire going to your distributor should be 12V.   If it is low your module may not work.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:15pm

Ben,
Try in detail what results you get when you go through steps 1,2 and 3 of the test.

Regarding the choke, looks like someone put liquid electric tape on the quick connects. You'll need to scrape it off to disconnect ether wire.

I scrapped off the liquid electrical tape and disconnected the red wire from the choke. The results from steps 1, 2, and 3 are as follows:

Quote Step 1) Remove the cap and rotor. Turn the ignition ON and test voltage at the NEGATIVE side of the coil (black lead of meter to ground and red lead of meter to coil NEGATIVE post). Voltage should read 12 volts.

Result = 1.44 volts at the negative side of the coil.

Quote Step 2) If battery voltage is present, place a credit card, driver’s license, business card or similar and block the photo optics of the module. The voltage should drop to 2 volts or less (1 to 2 volts). If this test is positive, then the module is working

Result = Battery voltage not present, but did the test anyway with no change in voltage.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:29pm
My Mallory YLU554CV distributor has 3 wires coming out of it:

Red = Goes to high voltage side of ballast resistor, which has ~9.8 volts with key ON
Green = Goes to negative side of coil, which has ~1.3 volts with key ON
Brown = Goes to engine block ground (under serial number plate)

My Mallory 29216 Coil has 3 wires coming out of it:

Purple = Connected to positive terminal and goes to low voltage side of ballast resistor, which has ~4 volts with key ON
Green = Connected to negative terminal and goes to distributor
Grey = Connected to negative terminal and goes to wiring harness at back of engine, which I assume goes to the tachometer on dash

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:38pm
Sounds like it's time for a new module.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:40pm

Sounds like it's time for a new module.

I'm not sure what that means. Is the module "inside" the distributor? If so, can I replace just the "module" or do I need a whole new distributor?

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:45pm
Just the module.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-605" rel="nofollow - Module

Read the P/N number on the module and then do a search.   It may be this one.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:55pm
Sorry. Yes it is in the distributor.   Did a search on your distributor P/N and it looks like it uses the 605 module

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:58pm
My 88 351 also has a 50 amp breaker. I haven't owned the boat since new but it's been in there for at least 16 years now.

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:08pm
I'm not sure everyone in this thread is talking about the same breaker.   Where is it located?

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:14pm

Sorry. Yes it is in the distributor.   Did a search on your distributor P/N and it looks like it uses the 605 module

Yes, the 605 module looks correct - I'll get one ordered ASAP.

I was reading some posts on the Summit Racing Equipment website where I plan to order the module and I found this:

Quote A defective starter motor on the engine can fry this ignition module and pretty much any other electronic assembly whether or not you use the recommended electric filter module. A Starter Motor is the one that spins the engine at the flywheel to start it. If the solenoid is sticking (due to worn contacts) it can remain engaged. If the over-running clutch is worn or sticky, the starter motor becomes a generator when the engine starts, creating some destructive voltages on the battery signal, frying just about any electric module. If you've had to replace the ignition module more than once, I recommend replacing the engine starter assembly.

My starter had been acting up (grinding sound when starting), so I had it tested the other day and they said it was destroyed (couldn't be rebuilt) and they asked me if it had gotten stuck (engaged) and continued to spin with the motor running. I didn't even realize this could be the cause of my issues, but I may have learned something after reading that post. Anyways, I have a brand new starter installed and I'll be replacing my ignition module, so I'm hoping that will finally get me back on the water.

I'm still not understanding how the ignition module is causing my voltage drop - Do I still need to worry about? Or should replacing the module fix that too?

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:29pm
The 605 is even stated in the troubleshooting link Ken provided.

"If you must replace the module, replace it with Mallory
Part No. 605."

Ben,
Regarding the voltage drop, I'd say the modules opto coupler is fried and grounded.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:38pm
I ordered the replacement 605 module and will let you know how it goes - Thanks for the help everyone!!

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:48pm
I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short or at least a few minutes short or something like that but I'll mention it anyways.

The 605 module is about 110 dollars (commonly called the Unilite module)

A 6100M module is about 55 dollars (commonly called the E Spark module)

They both come from Mallory/MSD and are completely interchangeable with each other.

The difference is that the 605 is/was built by humans and the 6100M is assembled by automated machines.

No real difference in reliability between the two

Date Posted: July-19-2017 at 9:39pm

My starter had been acting up (grinding sound when starting), so I had it tested the other day and they said it was destroyed (couldn't be rebuilt) and they asked me if it had gotten stuck (engaged) and continued to spin with the motor running. I didn't even realize this could be the cause of my issues, but I may have learned something after reading that post. Anyways, I have a brand new starter installed and I'll be replacing my ignition module, so I'm hoping that will finally get me back on the water.

Ben,
I went back through the thread to see if talked about the starter problem and couldn't find anything. Thinking now, I wonder if this was the start/cause of your current problem? A starter that stays engaged is typically from the start relay (solenoid) contacts being welded together sending power to the starter even after the key switch is returned to the run position. The welded contacts are basically caused by a low voltage condition which in turn causes a high amperage (Ohms law) draw from the starter. The contacts can't handle it and then weld together. Not wanting you to go through this again, there are a couple things you need to know/check that can cause the welded contacts.

Bad battery that can't handle the starter amp draw.

Using a deep cycle battery They are designed for low amp draws for extended periods of time like a trolling motor or a large sound system. You always want to use a starting battery.

Bad corroded battery cables causing a high resistance which in turn causes the low voltage.

Bad cable terminals and or corroded/dirty terminals and battery posts. Again, a high resistance issue.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-20-2017 at 1:57pm

Not wanting you to go through this again, there are a couple things you need to know/check that can cause the welded contacts.

Bad battery that can't handle the starter amp draw.

Using a deep cycle battery They are designed for low amp draws for extended periods of time like a trolling motor or a large sound system. You always want to use a starting battery.

Bad corroded battery cables causing a high resistance which in turn causes the low voltage.

Bad cable terminals and or corroded/dirty terminals and battery posts. Again, a high resistance issue.

I feel pretty good about the battery connections and cables since those were checked/cleaned as part of my initial troubleshooting of this issue. However, I do have a "marine" (deep cycle) battery in the boat now, which I will replace with a starting battery.

Do you have any recommendations for starting batteries (brand, size, etc.)?

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:30pm
Group 65, std automotive battery, no need for high CCA rating.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Print Page | Close Window