Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41518
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 10:20pm

Topic: Temperature Gauge Issues
Posted By: Wakerider90
Subject: Temperature Gauge Issues
Date Posted: July-14-2017 at 11:59pm
1998 Ski Nautique with the 5.7 PCM
We recently changed the temperature sendor along with the impeller. The temp gauge has been acting up and giving signals that it is overheating at 30mph. The engine does not feel like its overheating.

Secondly, when you turn off the engine shouldn't the needle in the temp gauge go down? Mine often stays stuck.

Would you suggest a new gauge?

Thanks in advance

Replies:
Posted By: Lakeview
Date Posted: July-15-2017 at 10:01am
I would change out the thermostat and give the block a good flush before replacing the gauge, don't forget the thermostat gasket while your at it.

-------------
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-15-2017 at 10:17am
I would NOT change out the thermostat until you do more testing to find out the problem. First, IR temp guns are inexpensive that can be used to get the actual temp next to the sender. A pegged gauge typically is due to a grounded sender wire. Disconnect it at the gauge and see if the gauge needle drops. If it does, then Ohm the sender wire to ground. If the reading is near zero, trace it to find where it's grounded.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-15-2017 at 10:28pm
Thanks, which sender should I be aiming it at. The gauge is not sticking anymore but it still says it's running hot. I will measure with an infrared tomorrow.

If the temp is ok, is their any danger in disconnecting it? Lake is like glass and I've been without a boat for 3 weeks

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-16-2017 at 8:24am
Measure right next to the sending unit that you replaced like Pete mentioned a couple of posts back.

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-16-2017 at 8:43am
Did you replace it with a sending unit of the same range.

For example, if your meter is 120 to 240 degrees you need a sending unit that's calibrated for 120 to 240 degrees to match the meter otherwise you'll have some bad readings.

There are lots of different ranges of meters/senders making it easy to screw up unless you got the exact same replacement part number.

Date Posted: July-16-2017 at 3:16pm
Ok...
So I measured the engine at a couple of spots.
Sender to the computer never went over 177 and at consistent speed of 33mph never over 165
Sender to the temp gauge varied all over the place from 150-210 and the gauge would sometimes read accurate and sometimes not.
At the thermostat it never went over 155.

I changed the sender to the gauge last season and am quite certain it's the right one.

My mechanic drilled a hole in the existing thermostat saying it would help the flow and may fix the issue. Not sure if this works but it hasn't changed anything.

I disconnected the wire to the sender for the temp gauge. Boat is running great but now we do not have any visual readings at the gauge. Is this ok knowing the temp readings above?

Would you recommend I change the sender again along with the thermostat?

My temp gauge is from 120-240. Is there an online site you can steer me towards. I live in Canada but can have things shipped to an address in the US

Thanks in advance

Date Posted: July-16-2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Wakerider90 Wakerider90 wrote:

Sender to the temp gauge varied all over the place from 150-210 and the gauge would sometimes read accurate and sometimes not.
At the thermostat it never went over 155.

I changed the sender to the gauge last season and am quite certain it's the right one.

I disconnected the wire to the sender for the temp gauge. Boat is running great but now we do not have any visual readings at the gauge. Is this ok knowing the temp readings above?

Would you recommend I change the sender again along with the thermostat?

When you installed the new sender, did you use any type of thread sealant or tape? You should not use any since the sender body is the ground source to the gauge via the engine block. Why did you change the sender?

I don't suggest running the boat until the problem is found.

Clean all your connections from the sender back to the gauge. Check that you have a decent continuous 12 volts supplying the gauge

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-16-2017 at 6:52pm

No tape or sealants.

Date Posted: July-16-2017 at 8:02pm
Mark,
From the erratic gauge readings, it really sounds like a wiring problem with loose or dirty/corroded connections. As mentioned, do check the sender and 12 volt supply. Do you have a VOM (volt Ohm meter)?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window