Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41593
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 10:16pm

Topic: Troubleshooting a RWP
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Subject: Troubleshooting a RWP
Date Posted: July-23-2017 at 6:48pm
A friend came to me frustrated with his Sherwood RWP on his 88 2001. He lost cooling and was towed back home. He R&R'd the impeller and still no cooling water. He checked the basics like strainer gasket, suction side hose tightness and pump direction with no positive results. He rigged up hoses for a bucket test and the results proved something was still wrong. He brought the pump over and after opening it up, I found the wear plate was really grooved from the raised "O ring" surface on the impeller plus the paper gasket was installed on the O ring side of the wear plate. Removed the wear plate, polished up the unworn side, flipped it and put the pump back together. So, the bottom line is check your wear plates.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-23-2017 at 7:28pm
The real bottom line is Sherwood tells you to replace the wear plate at a major pump rebuild. Major pump rebuild for pleasure boating,light duty low hours is every 4 years,severe duty is high rpm,silt or sand 2 years. With all you guy's and your tubing it might push you into the commercial category, 2 and 1    

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:43pm
Gary,
This is the first time I've heard about Sherwood's recommended service interval on the wear plate. WOW, I know the OEM's love to sell parts since it's a great profit for them but that interval is ridiculous!! This particular plate on the 88 is close to 30 years old. Flip it over (they don't mention that!!) and you get another 30 years out of it. Then there's me and my running impellers for 50 years!

BTW, we've been having a mini tubing tournament and doing mostly beach tube starts. That must be churning up the beach sand that attacked the wear plate!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-23-2017 at 10:16pm
I was at the Miami boat show about 3 years ago. They had a booth and a really nice catalog with all their pumps,parts breakdowns and rebuilding instructions for every pump. And it was free

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Print Page | Close Window