Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41782
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 8:26pm

Topic: Two thermostats?
Posted By: swilliams
Subject: Two thermostats?
Date Posted: August-20-2017 at 3:46pm
Doing a bit of maintenance and had a slight leak at a hose clamp on the engine water pump(no big deal). Pull off the hose and found that in the thermostat housing there are two t-stats. Now I know that this engine only is supposed to have only one. It's location is in the upper portion of the housing held in by an o ring. This second t-stat is mounted at the base of the housing which you would find in a typical intake manifold to thermostat application. Why would someone do this? I have been running a bit hot(about 180). I think I'll remove it and change the correct one while I'm in there. Motor is the original Omc 350,260 hp. Any thoughts? Thanks,Steve

-------------
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: August-20-2017 at 5:00pm
Why do people do a lot of things?

I'll answer that , bcause they don't know what they're doing or they're too smart to read a manual

I'd figure somebody before you was having issues, popped the housing off of the manifold and their question was "why don't I have a thermostat in here?"

So using his automotive know how he put one in there and never knew the marine thermostat housing had it in a different spot and ended up with 2 thermostats.

That's my guess

Posted By: swilliams
Date Posted: August-20-2017 at 7:23pm
Yeah there's a bunch of em out there.Changed t-stat out and ran it on the fake a lake.Gets to about 170 and the manifolds are cool. Not lake conditions but so far I'm ok with it. Next weekend!

-------------
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.

Print Page | Close Window