Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41803
Printed Date: June-25-2024 at 8:16pm

Topic: Boat dies when i put in gear
Posted By: LisaO
Subject: Boat dies when i put in gear
Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 12:42am
Hi, I just got new plugs and wires put om my 1974 Skier.The boat sounds good until i put it into gear in the water...then it dies. The firing order on the engine plate does not seem to work (anyone know the firing order?). Can anyone help please? My boat is a 1974 Ford 302 engine.

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Replies:
Posted By: Nautiquehunter
Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 8:13am
What state are you in?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 8:46am
Do different states have different firing orders?

'74 was pretty close to the time they changed from the 302 to the 351 FO, what does the plate say? A pic showing the marinization would help. What size/type spark plugs does it take (5/8" or 13/16" wrench?)? The 2 FO's are 18456273 (351) and 18736245 (289/early 302).

Posted By: fgroce
Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:21am
LisaO welcome to the forum, what lake do you go to? How about posting some pictures of your boat. Have you been running the boat all summer and just started running bad? Or just getting it wet for the first time. A lot of guys on the forum are a lot of help with keeping the classic boats running. What lake do yall go to? Good luck on getting the problem solved.

-------------
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 8:34pm
Hi! Thanks for everyone's responses. I am in GA and I usually boat on Lake Lanier or Allatoona. I have had my boat for about 12 yrs and let her sit last year. Won't do that again. The firing order I used is one of the ones that you suggested. 18736245. But when I put in gear boat dies. (Someone described it as putting load on) can find out plug sizes etc later when I get home. I am not sure what marinization means tho. Thank you!

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 8:51pm
Pictures

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by LisaO LisaO wrote:

Hi! I am not sure what marinization means tho. Thank you!

The company that took an automotive engine and added marine components so it can be used in a boat. It's the reason Tim asked for pictures.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 9:30pm
Lisa,
I'd like to ask why the plugs and wires were changed. Was the engine running poorly before? Did you replace any other parts?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: villthepill
Date Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:49pm
Sounds like your carburetor idle mixture isnt adjusted properly. Put a vacuum guage on full manifold vacuum and adjust the 2 screws equally 1/8th turn at a time at idle. You want to achieve the highest vacuum reading. Google adjusting idle mixture screws and it will give you a step by step on how to do it.

Posted By: tryathlete
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:00am
Let's make sure the firing order is correct. Then, let's insure the ignition timing is correct before we move past the "last change". Petes right--why was the work done anyways? Was it sputtering before the wires and plugs? Maybe that ancient gas is simply not up to snuff any longer? Is it straight gas down there or do they make you use corn gas (10% ethanol)? Did it have stabil or other preservative in it when it was laid up a few years back?

Timing could be off if the plugs were put one position back or forwards--even if in the correct order.

Look where the light's best. That's what my engine mechanic instructor always told me.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

What state are you in?

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Do different states have different firing orders?

Welcome Lisa and yes Pictures of the engine would help determining what Motor you have and what the firing order should be. What was done to the engine since you last ran it? A little more details on what's going on will help us help you fix the issue. There are several of us CCFans that play on Lanier and try to hang out with each other on the weekends. Usually around Bald Ridge Marina.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:09am
Since she says the engine sounds good, I figure she has the right firing order now because if she had the other one it would sound anything but good and struggle to run at all.

On to the carburetor like Villthepill suggested.

Maybe needs adjustments or cleaning or a rebuild after sitting unused for a year and a half or so.

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:42am
I'm not so sure... I've seen engines idle remarkably smoothly on 7, 6 or even 4cyl. They don't take a load very well though. Using the opposite FO will get you 4/8.

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:09pm
Nice thing about having old Ford 351 plow trucks and an old 351RR boat hanging around that I can do "experiments' on.

Picked on the boat today and went out and swapped the wires around to go from the 351RR firing order to the early 302 firing order.

Turned the key and it did a lot of cranking, some sputtering and almost sounded like maybe it might almost think about starting,.

Swapped back to the right firing order and it fired right up and ran normally.

That poor old boat, the things I do to it

EDIT see a few posts down, it runs on 4 if some dummy remembers to hook up the coil wire

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:12pm
Keno you're a true lifelong learner. Who else would perform that experiment and report back!

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'm not so sure... I've seen engines idle remarkably smoothly on 7, 6 or even 4cyl. They don't take a load very well though. Using the opposite FO will get you 4/8.

I've seen 4 cylinders run fine on 3 until you load them up. Could be a bad wire--always look at what you last did before it ran badly.

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Keno you're a true lifelong learner. Who else would perform that experiment and report back!

And on top of that, I get to report back that my experiment was done over again cause it was bugging me that it didn't start at all.

So now it's time to eat some crow and say it ran pretty good on the early firing order like Tim thought

A little voice in my head told me that I may have tried it the first time with the coil wire disconnected, so back out to the boat, rearrange wires, make sure the coil wire is connected. Double check everything turn the key and .........

It fired up and sounded pretty good, low idle a little lumpy but not bad.

It actually went into gear and kept running, but I didn't go for a ride to see how a v4 would run.

Thanks for questioning my answer and providing my entertainment for a little while this morning Tim

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:36pm
Ha nicely done Ken, that matches my experience. Can't say I've tried running on 4 under load but 6 will get you up on plane pretty easily. 4cyl sounds remarkably good on the hose (no load).

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:46pm
It sounded remarkably good in the water, much better than I expected putt putting around a little above idle speed

I didn't try to get on plane and go for a ride though.

It was smooth enough to fool you into thinking the firing order was OK at idle with no load..

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 3:34pm
Time for part 3 of this experiment.

One of those other voices in my head said "what's wrong with you, not seeing how it takes some load? "

So..... off to the boat, swap wires around again, fire it up, same slowish idle, bump it into gear and it would stay idling and moving.

Give it any gas at all after that and it would backfire and stall every time.

Probably wiped out a power valve with all those backfires but did prove to myself anyways that, yes it will idle but it won't take any load with the swapped firing order

Swapped it back to normal, and drove back to the dock.with no problems.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 4:51pm
Thats what happened to mine years ago when I rebuilt the HM Ken. No Correct Craft Fan then all on my own. Bought a Crane RR cam they put the wrong firing order on the cam card. Started up fine but when I tried to run it at cam break in rpm it ran lousy. Finally pulled the valve covers and watched the valves. Lucky I didn't ruin the cam.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: MourningWood
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 5:19pm
My question to the OP is the one Pete asked earlier.....how did it run before the plug/wire change?

'Cuz if ran good, then was worked on, and now doesn't run good, chances are very, very good that an error was made in the work done.

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 5:25pm
Keno that is impressive commitment and follow up.
I put you up for forum member of the year!
Nice follow up. I hope your power valve survived.
Mark

-------------

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:23pm
Hi, thanks to everyone for all your help. The boat did run well before the plugs/wires were changed. Problem is that they did not make note of old FO UGG! It was suggested that I change them because they had some hairline splits (damage) to them. I did drain out old fuel and put in new. I have to add lead to the fuel tank.

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:37pm
Lisa,
Who is "they"? A supposed mechanic?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by LisaO LisaO wrote:

I have to add lead to the fuel tank.

NO!! The lead "substitute" is a scam with a very high mark up that marinas love to push! Lead did add some lubrication that did save wear on valve faces and valve seats but not much. When it's time for a valve job, that's when hardened seats can be installed. If the "mechanic" pushing the substitute says any more about it, ask him if he remembers white gas or in some areas it was called marine gas. Guess what, it was straight run gas with absolutely NO additives and the old engines with NO hardened valve seats ran fantastic on the stuff!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:46pm
Are the pictures coming so we can ID the marinizer of the engine and help with the FO?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:51pm
The guy who sold me the boat said I had to add lead. Hmm could have saved a LOT of money. The mechanic that suggested wire changes was auto mechanic. I uploaded some pics but can't seem to get em on my profile yet..do they have to be approved first?

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:54pm
Lisa - the profile pictures do need to be approved, but you can upload photos to the thread by using the post reply button and clicking on the tree icon.   you will need to save the photo in a size that is small enough to go on the server, i am not sure what size that is anymore, but if you can save it to the "email" setting, that is small enough.   there is another way to load pictures, but it'snot as easy to explain.   btw, the server keeps track of the photos you have already loaded and requires that you use non duplicated names for each one.

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:57pm
Lisa,
Are you trying to post pictures from a mobile device? If so, it doesn't work very well. Most will email a picture to themselves and then post it from their home computer.

Sorry about the seller being misinformed and the "mechanic" who has problems with FO's!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:37pm
I sent the pictures over from my email. They are in my "file manager" but that is where they seem to want to stay? Tree either takes forever or is not working.

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Posted By: cbr1000dude
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:05pm
Try Google Chrome for your home page. My old computer would not upload to the "tree" icon either until I open CCF in Google Chrome..
My 88 Barefoot when I first got it.

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:10pm
Thanks I will try that

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:12pm

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: August-24-2017 at 5:47pm
Lisa, the correct firing order (as noted above) is: 18736245.
This assumes original or pre '82 replacement engine.
Many "automotive mechanics" aren't aware that the Correct Craft marine motors of that era rotate opposite of a car, thus have a unique firing order.
Please also note the direction that the distributor rotor turns.

Hope that get you going again.

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: August-24-2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Please also note the direction that the distributor rotor turns. .

Distributor will turn CCW on Fords looking down on it no matter which way the crankshaft rotates. Reverse Rotation or not.      That is what screws up most Auto mechanics

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: August-24-2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Lisa, the correct firing order (as noted above) is: 18736245.
This assumes original or pre '82 replacement engine.
Many "automotive mechanics" aren't aware that the Correct Craft marine motors of that era rotate opposite of a car, thus have a unique firing order.
Please also note the direction that the distributor rotor turns.

Hope that get you going again.

The 302 (at least the 4bbl marine version) went to the 351w firing order much earlier than 1982. My 78 Tique used the later FO. My 71 and I think 72 boats used the earlier FO. I would like more info and pictures to see what we're actually dealing with rather than proclaiming to be certain which FO is correct... as her boat is certainly in the proximity of when the change occurred.

Date Posted: August-24-2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Distributor will turn CCW on Fords looking down on it no matter which way the crankshaft rotates. Reverse Rotation or not.      That is what screws up most Auto mechanics

Another thing that screws up auto mechanics is the FO is cast into the intake manifold. Same manifold is used on RH or LH rotation engines My 302 was that way and really messes with your mind.

-------------
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: August-25-2017 at 6:03am
Lisa,
It seems like you are still having issues with posting pictures so, is there a ID plate on the engine or any other markings? What's the "mechanic" saying about the problem? Did he even run the boat after he changed the plugs and wires?
Also, I don't think you answered:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lisa,
Did you replace any other parts?

And, why did you have the "mechanic" work on the boat? Was there another problem?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-26-2017 at 9:10am
Lisa,
Did you get the FO corrected and have you got the engine running? If not, we would still like to help with the FO but still need the information on the engine marinizer. With your recent site visits,tell us what you have been trying in order to post pictures. We have had other members with problems posting pictures too so don't feel bad. One solution is to email pictures to another member so they can post them for you. Links to members emails including mine are in their profiles. You click on the arrow next to the members screen name and a drop down menu will come up. Have you tried Google Chrome yet? I use it without problems.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-26-2017 at 4:54pm

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: August-26-2017 at 7:25pm
Good job with the picture Lisa.

Your tag has a firing order of 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3 (later 302)

but you have the order arranged to be 1 8 7 3 6 2 4 5 (early 302)

You'll notice some clown named KenO did a little experiment the other day and took his
engine with the late firing order and rearranged the wires to see how it ran.

His results were that the engine would idle a little rough and a little slow but sound pretty good actually.

But when it was given any gas after shifting into gear it stalled. This probably sounds familiar to you

You said it didn't run with the later firing order as shown on the tag. I'm not sure why it didn't , but i'd either try that order again. (thats 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3} or another option would be to pull the plugs and put a little piece of rag over each plug hole, then rotate the engine by hand in the correct rotation direction and see what order the little pieces get blown out of the plug holes. You have to start with #1 at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke.You can find that with a rag over the plug hole

By the time you get to the 3rd plug hole you'll know which firing order you have.

First rag to blow out will be #1 when you find TDC on the compression stroke

Second will be #8

And then it'll be either #4 if you have the later order like your tag says...... or if #7 is next instead of #4 then you have the early firing order which is the way you have it now.

You only really need a rag over the #1 8 4 and 7 holes to figure out the order but if you take all the plugs out, it'll rotate easier by hand.

You can rotate it with a 15/16 socket on the front crankshaft bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on..

Cylinder numbering is

Front of engine
   5                  1

6                  2

7                  3

8                  4

and you want to rotate the engine counterclockwise if you're looking from the FRONT, Or in other words rotate it toward the drivers side of the boat

You might have to read this a few times to digest it, but it'll tell you your firing order

Date Posted: August-26-2017 at 7:32pm
By the way, that's a very early Pleasurecraft engine when they were a division of Waukesha Motor Co.

The tag says it's a right hand rotating 302 with 215 HP with a Borg Warner 1 to 1 transmission turning a right hand propeller.

Date Posted: August-26-2017 at 8:10pm
Ken,
Nice trick with the rags in the plug holes. I honestly have never heard of the method. Simple and I like it!! Sure easier that trying to read rocker arm movements!

I have always heard that you can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!

Now lets see if Lisa's mechanic can follow it???

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-26-2017 at 9:51pm
It's not a KenO original Pete

I probably learned it here on CCF

Date Posted: August-26-2017 at 10:46pm
Thank you so much! It will be a few days before I can get the boat back to the mechanic but i will definitely let you know how it goes. Again thanks to everyone for all the help!

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: August-27-2017 at 8:57am
Kens detailed explanation is spot on. If you're 180 off on the distributor (i.e. the balancer marks were lined up on the exhaust stroke instead of compression), AND you use the incorrect (302 vs 351) firing order, the engine will run on 4cyl. Sounds like that may be the case here.

You can try swapping the 6&1 and 2&8 wires (on the distributor end) if you want to quickly test this theory rather than setting the timing from scratch.

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 12:08am
Hi, me again! It seems my mechanic quit (haven't heard back from him). So my friend Laura and I took it upon ourselves to try your advise. We youtubed Top dead center and went from there. We took your firing advise and she sounds really good. (strong!) We cant do the lake test until tomorrow. So fingers crossed! We will let you know after the lake test.    
Thanks again to everyone for their help. Lisa

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 12:36am
Thats great,good luck

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 10:44am
So cool that you figured it out yourself.
Your mechanic should sell his tools & look for a new occupation.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 11:55am
Lisa,
I admire you initiative to undertake the hopeful fix. Keep us informed and we'll be around if needed.

I sure wish you would stop calling the person who worked on your engine a "mechanic". I agree with Chris he needs to find another line of work.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 3:51pm
I think you being a little hard on the mechanic there Pete,can't make a living working on obsolete equipment. The complaint you should have is that the guy took on the job thinking he knew more about something that is most likely as old as himself   
Does not mean he's a bad mechanic. I can still take a finger wheel off a rotary phone but that won't put food on the table- get to the ISP stuff I'd be lost,but at least I'd tell you that.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 9:41pm
Hi! Me again! I just got back from the lake. The good news is that I was able to get the boat off the trailer and run her around in idle speed. As soon as I I gave her gas she hesitated, sputtered, popped, knocked and coughed. Ugg! I think I am fired as a boat mechanic also! Any ideas? Is the top dead center off? The "mechanic" rotated the distributor a little back and forth when he was trying to get the firing order right. Please let me know if I am becoming a pest. Thanks, Lisa

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 9:47pm
You can rotate the distributor back and forth all day and you only change the timing, not the firing order. You need to get it timed properly. That would be a start.

-------------
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 9:59pm
What firing order are you using right now?

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 10:01pm
Lisa,
You're not being a pest at al! You do need to go back to this post Ken made regarding the firing order.
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Good job with the picture Lisa.

Your tag has a firing order of 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3 (later 302)

but you have the order arranged to be 1 8 7 3 6 2 4 5 (early 302)

You'll notice some clown named KenO did a little experiment the other day and took his
engine with the late firing order and rearranged the wires to see how it ran.

His results were that the engine would idle a little rough and a little slow but sound pretty good actually.

But when it was given any gas after shifting into gear it stalled. This probably sounds familiar to you

You said it didn't run with the later firing order as shown on the tag. I'm not sure why it didn't , but i'd either try that order again. (thats 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3} or another option would be to pull the plugs and put a little piece of rag over each plug hole, then rotate the engine by hand in the correct rotation direction and see what order the little pieces get blown out of the plug holes. You have to start with #1 at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke.You can find that with a rag over the plug hole

By the time you get to the 3rd plug hole you'll know which firing order you have.

First rag to blow out will be #1 when you find TDC on the compression stroke

Second will be #8

And then it'll be either #4 if you have the later order like your tag says...... or if #7 is next instead of #4 then you have the early firing order which is the way you have it now.

You only really need a rag over the #1 8 4 and 7 holes to figure out the order but if you take all the plugs out, it'll rotate easier by hand.

You can rotate it with a 15/16 socket on the front crankshaft bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on..

Cylinder numbering is

Front of engine
   5                  1

6                  2

7                  3

8                  4

and you want to rotate the engine counterclockwise if you're looking from the FRONT, Or in other words rotate it toward the drivers side of the boat

You might have to read this a few times to digest it, but it'll tell you your firing order

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 10:10pm
Lisa

Back in the second post of this thread NautiqueHunter asked what state you live in, probably because Google says he's about an hour away from you on Lake Lanier.

I don't know him personally, but he's plenty knowledgeable and I'd bet that he might just be willing to help you out if you were to ask him

And he's looking at this thread right now, according to his profile info.

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 10:30pm

Lisa
Back in the second post of this thread NautiqueHunter asked what state you live in, probably because Google says he's about an hour away from you on Lake Lanier.

I think we should put the call out to anyone close to Marietta who could help Lisa with her timing and firing order. Anyone???

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 10:42pm
Thanks! I found #1 with your method. Then I got lazy and used the order on my tag. She sounded really good and strong....so off i went to the lake! It was a beautiful day and I couldn't resist. I do have problems finding folks that will work on my old boat. Years ago even the Nautique dealership told me that they wont work on a boat as old as mine.

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 10:59pm
Well if she or her friend were named Kim..........

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 8:50am
Maybe it's an issue under the distributor cap

Or maybe this is another case of "about the time you're convinced it's an ignition problem, it turns out to be a fuel system issue"

Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Well if she or her friend were named Kim..........

Easy there fella!!!!

Don't give hope Lisa you're a trooper for trying to get the boat running again. I would assume that since you're in Marietta you probably take the boat to Alatoona. There are several of us CCFans that get together on Lake Lanier and we'll be happy to help, figure and hopefully fix the issue for you if you can drag the boat over to Lanier this weekend as the gang will be getting together.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 2:44am
Thank you! Please tell me where and when. Lisa

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 8:14am
PM sent Lisa.

-------------

Posted By: Jay SE IN.
Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 10:36am
I vote for bad accelerator pump.

Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 11:52am
Lisa

You have a PM with Nautiquehunter's phone number if you want to call him

Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Jay SE IN. Jay SE IN. wrote:

I vote for bad accelerator pump.

Kinda goes along with this

Maybe it's an issue under the distributor cap

Or maybe this is another case of "about the time you're convinced it's an ignition problem, it turns out to be a fuel system issue"

Looks like she'll have some in person CCF help available to her

Posted By: spiralhelix
Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 2:08pm
I really hope the fellas can get your sorted out in person.

Reading through this post and travels to the lake to test, I would encourage you to read http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39603&title=flush-kit-timmy-t-what-am-i-doing-wrong" rel="nofollow - this thread to install the Timmy T and/or also http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24767&title=how-to-run-your-boat-out-of-water-bucket-method" rel="nofollow - another thread on running the boat off a bucket. This can save you lots of time troubleshooting without multiple trips to the lake. Before you know it, you will be wrenching with the best of them and will know your boat inside and out

-------------
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 3:10pm
Sent LisaO a message and talked to NautiqueHunter this morning. Between the two of us we should figure this one out and find the issue if she brings the boat over to Mikes this weekend. I'm headed up first thing Sat morning with Kermit as we're supposed to have beautiful conditions for a Lanier Crew meeting.

-------------

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

I really hope the fellas can get your sorted out in person.

Reading through this post and travels to the lake to test, I would encourage you to read http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39603&title=flush-kit-timmy-t-what-am-i-doing-wrong" rel="nofollow - this thread to install the Timmy T and/or also http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24767&title=how-to-run-your-boat-out-of-water-bucket-method" rel="nofollow - another thread on running the boat off a bucket. This can save you lots of time troubleshooting without multiple trips to the lake. Before you know it, you will be wrenching with the best of them and will know your boat inside and out

Problem is the boat won't run under "Load". Cant really simulate that with a bucket or flush kit. I'm running into the same issue. Need the boat in the water..

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: spiralhelix
Date Posted: September-19-2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Problem is the boat won't run under "Load". Cant really simulate that with a bucket or flush kit. I'm running into the same issue. Need the boat in the water..

ah, you're right. my mistake. There has been a lot of talk about FO and it sounding good at idle, but dying when put in gear.   I don't remember seeing anything about revving the engine while in neutral and it being smooth, and that's where my head was at while reading. Would it be beneficial to get the engine running smooth in neutral at idle and through some rpms before putting a load on it?

Plus, in the future it still doesn't hurt to be able to run the boat at home to troubleshoot other issues.

Glad there are local people to help out!

-------------
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: September-26-2017 at 10:44pm
Hi again! I have good news....but please don't judge. i was in touch with Nautique Hunter and he said he would take a look at my boat (great guy!). We talked for quite a while on the phone. (He is a wealth of information) So before I bothered him...I rechecked my FO and for some reason the 3 and the 4 were switched (don't judge). We did a lake test after work and she ran like a dream! Long story short...the FO on the tag was completely correct...just had to take everyone's advise and find TDC and get the FO right (cant even believe i am talking like this??)
But thank you to everyone for suggestions and offers of help in person. You all are invaluable and so is this site. Lisa

-------------
Thanks! Lisa

Date Posted: September-26-2017 at 11:15pm
Lisa,
Great news!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: September-27-2017 at 12:09am
Thanks for getting back to us!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: September-27-2017 at 2:48am
Yes, thank you for posting the (happy) resolution.
All too often, sage advise is given here, and the results are unkown.
No judging at all. Simple (and common) error.
Most don't have the courage to fess up to it.
Great that the motor is back to full song..

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: September-27-2017 at 4:38am
I've been wondering, way to go checking and fixing your boat!

-------------

Posted By: fgroce
Date Posted: September-27-2017 at 9:11am
Glad to hear it is running. Enjoy the weather, while it last.

-------------
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Posted By: MechGaT
Date Posted: September-27-2017 at 10:55am
A great lesson learned and shared.

-------------
'92 Sport Nautique

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: September-27-2017 at 12:40pm

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Print Page | Close Window