Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42579
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 6:46pm

Topic: Alternator upgrade
Posted By: gt40KS
Subject: Alternator upgrade
Date Posted: April-06-2018 at 6:48pm
Well, of course. I had already purchased a new alternator tor replace the rusting and aging original and while checking over the room full of waiting parts I discovered the folks had sent me the wrong one. I purchased this replacement last fall a few weeks before I put the boat away for the season but never installed it - I figured I'd do that when I had everything off the top to do the head swap. It's been long enough now that the seller won't take the part back or give me partial credit on a new one. I guess they may be worried after this long it might have been installed, used and taken back off. I suppose I can't blame them.

So since I've got a lot different situation now than when I bought that unit I figure this would be the ideal time to upgrade to a higher output than the original 55 amp. I've searched the site over and can't seem to track down a part number or source for such a swap. I've also googled the subject and there are so many options and opinions out there for this I thought I'd pose the question to the many seasoned experts on CCF.

Thanks

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: April-07-2018 at 10:36am
A 3 wire AC Delco style marine alternator will slip right into that alternator bracket. You have to make the hole in the bottom mounting ear of the alternator bracket slightly bigger and do a little shimming with washers between the top bracket and the mounting ear.

Get one with the small single groove pulley and you won't have to change pulleys or even belts.

It can be found at all kinds of different prices and different amp ratings and is easy to wire..

A 1 wire version is even easier to wire but the 3 wire has the advantage of remote voltage sensing and will do a better job if you have something like a big honkin' stereo setup which I seem to think you're putting in.

Here's a link to DB electrical marine alternators You can find 63 amp, 105 amp and 140 amp 3 wire alternators

Note that they're AC Delco "STYLE" aftermarket meaning they're probably from that big country with the tariffs

I have a 63 amp on a GT 40P headed engine and it's been working fine for a lot of years now in spite of the cheap price tag.

If you have a problem with the alternator, you can get AC Delco parts just about anywhere too and they're relatively easy to rebuild yourself.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/alternators/marine/mercruiser/" rel="nofollow - Link

Date Posted: April-07-2018 at 8:21pm
You should get a red alternator to match all that other red stuff and it'll make JQ jealous as hell.

He'll so have to run out and get one

Couldn't find a marine one in red but you could paint whatever you get

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: April-07-2018 at 9:11pm
Make sure the new alternator is Marine rated, it will have spark shielding internally that helps keep you safe.
Most cities have local electrical rebuilders that can take your old unit and build it the way you want usually in 3-4 days.

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2018 at 2:38am
Thanks Ken, Mark. Red sounds good too, though I don't want to overdo it ... gonna have a lot of red in there already. So close to having all the parts ready to bolt on once It gets here - my office, garage and basement bedroom look like a marine flea market
Of course I'll post several pics when I get it home and on the stand in another month.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: April-08-2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You should get a red alternator to match all that other red stuff and it'll make JQ jealous as hell.

Can I get a part number?

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: April-08-2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Can I get a part number?

JQ

I do have a bright red, newly powder coated GT40 intake if you're interested ... may have to arm wrestle Gary for it though    

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: April-08-2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Can I get a part number?

JQ

No............we don't want you blowing yourself up

Print Page | Close Window