Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42638
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 6:43pm

Topic: Gelcoat and graphics question
Posted By: MourningWood
Subject: Gelcoat and graphics question
Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 1:07pm
I've read a thread here about sanding/polishing old gelcoat (someone restoring an older SN) but for the life of me can't find....anyone remember this?

Also, for those who have redone painted graphics, after sanding/polishing is the "imprint" of the original graphics gone or has the hull discolored enough to still see them?

Thanks

-------------
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Replies:
Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 1:32pm
The "ghosting" of the old image may be there. All depends on the degree of sanding. it would be recommended to sand enough to still see the image (if the same graphic was to be repainted using the image as your guide).....

The sanding/polishing recommendations are vast on this site and differ among members,
Bottom line is not all gel doesn't automatically come out the same.. If you have good equipment, products and a ton of patients, you'll like the results.. Remember, sanding and polishing will not eliminate spider cracks, so if you have those, they will still be there, just shiny..

Show pictures of the hull and recommendations can be made. You'll start with the min to get back down to a good even color and go from there. You don't just simply start by taking 600 grit paper on a DA..

Test and test again, then you can plan the whole job..

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Print Page | Close Window