Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42709
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 1:39pm

Topic: Upgrade to Fuel Injection 351W
Posted By: TurboZinke
Subject: Upgrade to Fuel Injection 351W
Date Posted: May-01-2018 at 2:35pm
Has anyone upgraded their boat from carb to throttle body fuel injection? I found this kit on ebay for $1000. Curious if anyone has used one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EFI-Ford-Fuel-Injection-System-Complete-TBI-For-Stock-Small-Block-Ford-351-5-8L/321923555092?hash=item4af4239f14:g:8DoAAOSwcdBWS5vy&vxp=mtr

-------------
Never miss a good chance to shut up ~ Will Rogers

Replies:
Posted By: chau8238
Date Posted: May-01-2018 at 3:11pm
That won't work on your boat, it uses an oxygen sensor and that won't work with a wet exhaust.   Also, that kit is not for marine use, so not coast guard approved. And lastly, it's for a regular rotation motor, the distributor gear is different for reverse rotation motors.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-01-2018 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by TurboZinke TurboZinke wrote:

Has anyone upgraded their boat from carb to throttle body fuel injection?

Cy,
Someone will ask so I might as well be first! Why do you want to go to fuel injection?

EDIT: I just noticed your hard to start post! When was the carb rebuilt?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: shierh
Date Posted: May-02-2018 at 2:01pm
waste of time and money to try to convert.   

I have an extra holley that I rebuilt and ran.   I may be interested in selling it.   

Posted By: Blamey
Date Posted: May-02-2018 at 6:13pm
General consensus is that if you want FI, it's easier to just get a new boat then to deal with the conversion.

-------------
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: May-02-2018 at 9:23pm
I know a guy that tried to convert his Ski Boat to a fuel injection system. He never got it running well enough that he was happy and got tired of fighting the battle and sold it.
He bought a FI Nautique and is now very happy.   The boat he sold was a 1967 Keaton utility with a 400 Pontiac engine. Keaton was a custom builder in Sacramento and back then the owner chose his engine.   His Nautique is a much better boat for his family and he loves the injection it uses.

-------------

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: May-02-2018 at 9:46pm
I would not consider TBI an upgrade over a Carburetor. You have Ford and rotation problems to deal with as well as reduced economy and horse power.
For that $ you could buy a brand new carb and a brand new prop that would make it run like a brand new boat.
If its any consolation Holley carburetors and I have never really got along. I run a Edelbrock (AFB) style marine carb and it works well for me but requires a wedge whereas the Holleys do not.

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: May-03-2018 at 3:59am
Save the ca$h and don't go after-market EFI. Instead, buy a new QuickFuel carb, Edelbrock intake manifold and new GT-40P heads. That combo will be a better bang-for-the-buck deal.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Print Page | Close Window