Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42836
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 4:23pm

Topic: Fuel pump leak
Posted By: tjs1295
Subject: Fuel pump leak
Date Posted: May-25-2018 at 4:31pm
Hello everyone, I might have the start of a leak of the fuel pump on my 1994, 351 Pro Boss. I've run it three times so far this year, and noticed a very small amount of gas in the bilge two of those three times. The first time was a few days after I did the bucket method in the driveway firing it up the first time of the year. The second was a few days after running it on the lake, Yesterday was my third day out. I did not notice any yesterday, or this morning. I always open the engine cover before using. The only reason I noticed it was because there was about a 2x2 inch brown stain in the bilge right under the pump. It wasn't even enough to cause an odor until I rubbed my fingers on it. I eventually saw a small amount of fuel on one part of the fuel pump. I don't have any pictures, but the pump seems to have three parts separated by two gaskets that stick out. I noticed the fuel on part of the lower gasket. It's basically on the top side of the gasket that's right above where the fuel line enters the pump.

This make me a little nervous, so I'm asking for any suggestions or help. Fix or just replace? I know it's never a good idea to just buy parts if something can be fixed first. That being said, the pump doesn't look expensive. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-25-2018 at 4:43pm
Then and Now Automotive are ones who had rebuild kits but I thought I read that they do not sell marine kits you have to send them in., and they can tell that by the model numbers on the flange that they want when you call. The pump I did on my Holman Moody was in fact a "industrial" pump that Ford supplied to them so technically not a marine pump as we think of them today. You might be just as well off to order a new pump. There were problems with the new marine Carter pumps but I would think if you get it from a reputable vendor they should have sorted that out by now.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-25-2018 at 4:45pm
Tom,
Take a real close look to see if you can confirm exactly where the leak is. Are the sections of the pump body screwed or riveted together? Unless the pump has been rebuilt, you will typically see rivets that can't be tightened up. If screwed, then see if tightening helps. Is there a clear plastic vent line running from the pump to the carb? If so, can you see any fuel in the line? Marine pumps have this as a safety measure so if there's an internal leak in one of the rubber diaphragm's then fuel is routed to the carb and not the bilge. ,

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-25-2018 at 5:03pm
Pete, the pump is screwed together, and I thought I could just tighten it up as well. But, the leak seems to be coming from the section below where it's screwed together. Didn't notice any screws or rivets there. I also looked good and hard at the clear tubing. There MIGHT be a few tiny drops in there close to the pump end.

Thanks Gary for the rebuild/new info. It would be easier for me to just get a new one. Skidim, and Nautiqueparts seem to have the exact one. They don't look hard to replace, but are there any tricks with that "arm"? And would I need anything else like a new fuel line as long as I'm messing with it?

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: May-25-2018 at 6:10pm
Here's a picture Carter single diaphragm on the right, AC dual diaphragm on the left

It sounds like you have the Carter. Like Gary said they're rebuildable but kits are hard to find

On the bottom section there is a 1/4 inch pipe threaded hole where the adapter for the suction line screws in. Usually sealed with one type of thread sealer or another which over the years can leak if that fitting isn't tight.

Also that lower gasket that looks like there are no screws has screws internally that hold that lower section to the center section. You get to them by taking out the screws holding the center section to the top part.

The Carter part number on the new ones is M60389 and some have been known to be "not so good" Ski Dim's number is 0406

Putting a new pump or the old one back in, you're working against some spring pressure when the arm is pushing against the eccentric.

You'll see a shiny wear spot on the top of the old arm where it contacts the eccentric, put the new one in the same way with the arm under the eccentric.

Date Posted: May-25-2018 at 6:30pm
Thanks Ken! Yes, I have the pump on the right. I'm going to get a new one, and hopefully the old one comes out, and the new one goes in. For me, it always seems easier in my mind than when I actually start doing it.

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: May-25-2018 at 6:36pm
When you get the new one it should go in relatively easy after seeing the old one come out.. You won't have any problems.

Then take the old one and take it apart for your learning pleasure.    They're funny little things and the rubber and check valves don't last forever.

Date Posted: May-25-2018 at 9:17pm
Good idea to mess with the old one. Thanks again guys. Will update when I get the new one.

Date Posted: June-03-2018 at 6:51pm
Update. I replaced the old pump with the new one yesterday. Other than battling a few line connectors it was a pretty easy job, just like you guys said it would be. Ran it for a couple hours skiing, and cruising. No leaks at all. Thanks again.

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: June-06-2018 at 3:51pm
A little late to the game but for the future summit has the same pump cheaper
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m60389" rel="nofollow - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m60389

https://www.skidim.com/FUEL-PUMP-ASSEMBLY-PCM-FORD-302_351/productinfo/RA080002A/" rel="nofollow - https://www.skidim.com/FUEL-PUMP-ASSEMBLY-PCM-FORD-302_351/productinfo/RA080002A/

Date Posted: June-07-2018 at 1:43pm
Yeah gun-driver, too late this time. Thanks though. I'm sure there will be future issues.

Print Page | Close Window