Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42912
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 12:24pm

Topic: Transmission Slipping
Posted By: Bauer
Subject: Transmission Slipping
Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 12:46pm
I have a 1988 Barefoot Nautique, 351 PCM. For the first 20-30 minutes it runs great, no issues. After that, the transmission starts to slip out. I was able to limp it back a few days ago. I checked the cable and fluid level and went back out yesterday and it completely stranded me after running great for 20 minutes. I did disconnect the cable and manual put it in gear, and that did not help.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I rebuild/replace the transmission?

-------------
Shane

Replies:
Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 1:01pm
Check the fluid level and make sure its on the high side but it don't look good -

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 1:35pm
Shane,
Has the engine/trans ever overheated? An overheat can warp the clutch plates so they don't make full contact and then slip.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: shierh
Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 5:49pm
D0es it go into reverse?   

Likely it needs to come out. Not the end of the world, these are very simple mechanisms and easy to fix.

Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 6:36pm
Thanks to everyone that replied.   I did drain the fluid and I got about 1.8 quarts out of it and the color was more of a dark purple, not necessarily brown but certainly not red.   I think before I replace it I’m going to put fresh fluid in

-------------
Shane

Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 6:37pm
I don’t know the history of the boat but it has not overheated in the two years I’ve had it.   And both times I went out the engine temperature was running right at 175

-------------
Shane

Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 6:38pm
When it starts slipping it has problems in reverse also

-------------
Shane

Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 7:07pm
Shane,
Use dexron/mercon ATF. NO "fancy" stuff and NO synthetics. I hope it does it.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: June-08-2018 at 7:19pm
Sounds like it is dead. Nasty fluid and no motion either direction is not a good thing. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Posted By: Gneil
Date Posted: August-09-2018 at 10:59pm
Just a thought,... could your trans oil cooler be clogged? My 1980 SN had similar symptoms and I discovered a crimped oiler cooler from the previous owner. Someone had over tightened the bracket holding the cooler and compromised the cooler as a result. In addition my control cable was severely out of adjustment due to worn cable fitting. I ended up replacing the 5" cooler with a 9" one, new fluid, new cable, and rebuilt the controller. mine is much better but still not perfect yet. Some fine tuning is required.

PS. I noticed new borg warner transmissions require new trans coolers or the warrantee is voided... (skidum fine print).

Good luck Shane and keep at it !!!      

-------------
G. Neil
1980 SN

Date Posted: August-10-2018 at 8:57am
Shane,
We'd love to hear back from you regarding the status of the trans. It's always great to find out if we've been able to help.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: MACS81SN
Date Posted: August-10-2018 at 9:35am
You mentioned engine running at 175 degs. The 175 deg seems a bit high if a carb’d engine which should have a 143 t-stat. I wouldn’t expect over 160 after hard run.   Not sure when fuel injection started but 175 would be ok as FI runs 165 t-stats.   Possibly you have a cooling problem?

-------------
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Print Page | Close Window