Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43072
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 2:20pm

Topic: Boat starts and runs then dies
Posted By: srh63
Subject: Boat starts and runs then dies
Date Posted: July-01-2018 at 5:18pm
After sitting for 15 minutes or so it starts up runs for about 5 or so. Then dies so like it's running out of fuel. Try cranking no start let it set 10 minutes or so and will start on a 1996 GT 40 with 400 hrs. Runs great besides this problem.

Replies:
Posted By: andrewmarani
Date Posted: July-03-2018 at 6:30pm
I see no one has weighed in. I have a ford 351, so different motor but I did have a similar issue. After we had been skiing for a while, the engine would start sounding rough at idle while we were setting up for the next pull. Sometimes it would stall out and would be hard to start. I traced the issue to the carburetor gasket after research on this forum.

Sometimes, when the engine is hot and you have a thin (read standard) gasket between the carburetor and the engine, too much heat can transfer from the engine into the carb and it causes issues. The heat can also cause an air leak between the carb and the engine through the gasket.

The solution is to buy a thicker gasket to go between the carb and the engine. The one I bought is roughly 1/4" thick from Discount Inboard Marine. Not sure if I had an air leak or some other heat related issue, but the problem went away.

Welcome to the forum.

-------------
Builder

Posted By: tryathlete
Date Posted: July-04-2018 at 12:32am
Your problem sounds like a slowly dying low pressure fuel pump. For better advice you need to consult the infamous Poor Man’s GT40 troubleshooting guide

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PN=1&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis" rel="nofollow - Poor Man’s GT 40 troubleshooting guide

Posted By: srh63
Date Posted: July-04-2018 at 12:39am
Thanks I think it's the low pressure pump.

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: July-04-2018 at 11:17am
Originally posted by srh63 srh63 wrote:

Thanks I think it's the low pressure pump.

What fuel system is on your GT-40? If it's the one without the fuel canister your HP pump is on the way out.

Print Page | Close Window