Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43265
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 2:30pm

Topic: 95 SS GT40 potential heat issue?
Posted By: chefred112
Subject: 95 SS GT40 potential heat issue?
Date Posted: July-27-2018 at 9:42pm
Hello All,

I'm not sure if I have a heat issue. To preface: installed new impeller, new T-stat (from nautiqueparts) and new temp sender. When I 1st installed this setup I ran my boat in the driveway and watched my temp gauge rise to 200 degrees after less than 10 minutes idling so shut it down. After thinking about this for awhile and knowing that temps will be in the 100's during my camping trip, I decided to remove the tstat and run it again.   This time the gauge went to about 160 and pretty much stayed there for the 15 minutes I idled it. So I go camping and while driving around and pulling tubers I watch my gauge and it seems to fluctuate a bit...when I open her up to wot for about a minute or two, I watched the gauge climb to about 190ish and probably would have rose more but I pulled back to cruise around 30 mph and the gauge seem to stabilize around 170-180 degrees...under load this seems to rise a little bit. This is running no tstat. I checked and dumped the strainer and it doesn't seem like much debris there. is there something else to check for? Should I look into changing the water pump out (not raw water pump)... just trying to think out loud here.

thanks, Fred

note: going to boil tstat and see what temp it opens at.

-------------
1995 Nautique Super Sport
1993 Malibu Echelon

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-27-2018 at 10:41pm
Did you have a temperature issue before changing the stuff you mentioned or did it come about after you made the changes?

Did all the stuff come from Nautique Parts like the temp sender so that you know it's the right one to go with the gauge?

Some people don't like anything but a genuine Sherwood impeller either. That's what you get in a PCM package. Some other brands of replacement impellers might not pump so good.

If the issue started after you changed things, then it's probably something you did that caused it and time to recheck your work.

Otherwise I'd check the whole flow path from the hull suction to the exhaust manifold inlets clear and make sure all the hoses are tight especially on the suction side of the pump.

If you previously shredded an impeller, the pieces can end up scattered around in places like the thermostat housing or the inlets to the exhaust manifolds . You would have seen them in the housing but if you unhook the inlet to the exhaust manifolds you might find pieces there.

It doesn't seem like a thermostat problem if you getting high temps with no thermostat at all.

The circulating pump you mention is pretty tough and usually will leak before it's causing any other issues.

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: July-28-2018 at 1:19am
I've heard the circulation water pumps on the 351's are just about bullet proof, and after looking mine over when I had everything out of the boat, I'd suspect it's not your problem.
You might first get a good IR heat gun and verify that the true temps of your engine are what you are reading on the gauge. Gauges can be off a bit and senders can have issues too - not that any of that has ever happened to me      If the true temp is actually high, I'd first suspect blockage in the cooling path like Ken indicated.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: July-28-2018 at 9:50pm
I had a heat issue before the changes which is why i swapped new parts in. The last day trip the motor ran really warm by end of day, couldnt get tstat below 200 so i would run 5 min and turn off for a few.   Luckily ramp wasnt far. When i swapped impeller, old one look new too so i kept that as a spare.

-------------
1993 Malibu Echelon

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-28-2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by chefred112 chefred112 wrote:

The last day trip the motor ran really warm by end of day, couldnt get tstat below 200

Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

You might first get a good IR heat gun and verify that the true temps of your engine are what you are reading

Fred,
Have you confirmed the temps?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-29-2018 at 3:06am
Wer going to the lake next weekend...ill try and take temps then..

-------------
1993 Malibu Echelon

Print Page | Close Window