Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43351
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 12:19pm

Topic: Reverse slips under power
Posted By: DockDoc
Subject: Reverse slips under power
Date Posted: August-08-2018 at 12:08pm
Looking at a local boat ('93 sport nautique). Dealer took it for a test run and found that reverse gear activates, but when much throttle is applied it seems to slip. Forward gear works fine.

They rebuilt the transmission, and problem persists. Passes compression test with flying colors.

Is this a common problem? I don't know that I"ll buy this boat anyway but I'm interested in test driving it, but also just curious.

Replies:
Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: August-08-2018 at 12:21pm
Not certain regarding compression test, but line pressure , as well as forward and reverse piston line pressure should be available at a test port

It could also be cavitating like a donkey in reverse. Have you witnessed the shaft fail to spin further above a certain rpm?

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: DockDoc
Date Posted: August-08-2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Not certain regarding compression test, but line pressure , as well as forward and reverse piston line pressure should be available at a test port

It could also be cavitating like a donkey in reverse. Have you witnessed the shaft fail to spin further above a certain rpm?

I haven't witnessed anything, just talking to the mechanic.

What would cause it to cavitate?

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: August-08-2018 at 3:07pm
Some models of props often dont hook up well in reverse, and more throttle just makes more bubbles.   A high-cup prop doesn't work well in reverse at all

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Print Page | Close Window