Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43363
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 12:25pm

Topic: Excalibur 343 won’t start! Need help
Posted By: Jward
Subject: Excalibur 343 won’t start! Need help
Date Posted: August-10-2018 at 10:06pm
I have a 99 supersport with an Excalibur 343 engine in it. Started having problems when coming out of the hole it just died like I shut the key off. Wouldn’t turn over at all, fuel pump wouldn’t prime. About 10 minutes later after trying about 20 times I turned the key and and the fcc primes and the motor fired right up. Put in a new ignition, fuel filter and fuel pump relay. Last time on the lake, shut the boat off for a bit and it would not start back up, fcc wouldn’t run , wouldn’t turn over. Batteries read good on the gauge, everything else on the boat works fine. Got towed in, next day it fired right up in my yard, no problems. Any ideas out there?

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-10-2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Jward Jward wrote:

. Batteries read good on the gauge, everything else on the boat works fine.

What gauge? On the boat?

How are the battery/cable terminal's? Clean and tight?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-10-2018 at 11:17pm
The boat gauge reads 14v. Checked the terminals and connections to the battery the other day, they all looked good

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: August-11-2018 at 4:19am
Watch what your battery gauge does as you turn the key. If it falls below 12V while you are starting you have a connection issue most likely. Ground or positive.   Could be at the battery or at any connection along the path to your starter.

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: August-11-2018 at 9:45am
Low pressure fuel pump   ?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: August-11-2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Low pressure fuel pump   ?

What he said

Date Posted: August-11-2018 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the help fellas? How would I test the low pressure fuel pump? I did just unplug the high pressure and turned the key and I heard it run. The frustrating part about this is it runs perfect right now in my yard, but craps out on the lake and won’t start again. Hard to troubleshoot

Date Posted: August-11-2018 at 12:40pm
Thanks for the help mrmcd. It did drop to almost 9v when I just started it. But also read about 16v when it started. U think the gauge could be bad and I should check it with a voltmeter? Read somewhere it should never go above 14.5v

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: August-12-2018 at 1:14am
Hi Jordan
Yes, check battery volts with VOM, not with dash gauges. This will not only eliminate dash gauge irregularities/ faults but also confirm the voltage drop as described. If so, don't trust a visual inspection of the cables @ the battery, starter, etc. Physically remove every connection and thoroughly clean the cable contacts as well as the starter & battery contacts, even if they appear to be clean. When reinstalling, make sure they are making good contact and tight. This will eliminate the possibility of a corrosion or contact issue. If the voltage drop still continues you may have a bad/ shorted cell in the battery. There are other, less common possibilities but this should be a good place to start

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: August-12-2018 at 2:37am
If you have the connections off and clean wipe them with a very thin coat of vasoline before putting them back together. It will keep corrosion away 100% till you take it apart again. I never learned why this works but it absolutely does. An old mechanic told me to do it 40 years ago and I have ever since.

-------------

Date Posted: August-12-2018 at 3:42am
Thanks again for the help guys! I’ll have to that Vaseline trick me mcd. Ok cleaned all the cables from the batteries to the ground and solenoid and re-tightened. Checked with a multi-meter, have 12.5v with the key on and it drops to 11 when I crank it up. So I guess I’ll have to take it on the lake tomorrow and bring an extra battery with me and see what happens

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: August-12-2018 at 9:20pm
Jordan before you turn in for the night, disconnect both cables from the battery and put the battery on a slow (2 amp) charge for the night, if it's an automatic charger. If not, 2 amps for 2 hours and continually check the volts till it reads at least 13 volts - the volts will likely drop almost immediately but should stabilize after a few minutes.

After a FULL charge a new battery should be at least 12.7V - 12.9V and should be stable and not bleed back down. The lower the static voltage below 12.7v, the weaker the battery and below 12.1v the battery should be replaced. After your 2a charge cycle and the battery is still at 12.5v you should be fine UNLESS the static volts drop to or below 12.0v after only a few cranks. Voltage dropping to 11 WHILE cranking is normal while the battery is under load. Load voltage dropping below 10 indicates a very weak battery and below 6 or so the battery is bad.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: August-13-2018 at 1:09am
Alright fellas thanks for the help. Much appreciated! Took the boat out today and it ran great. Never cut out and it started every time. Must have been a bad connection at one of the grounds or wires on the battery. I cleaned everything up with a brush and sandpaper yesterday. Must have done the trick! I’ll have check the battery though gt. Thanks for the tips

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-13-2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Jward Jward wrote:

Took the boat out today and it ran great. Never cut out and it started every time. Must have been a bad connection on the battery. I cleaned everything up with a brush and sandpaper

Jordan,
You need a battery post and terminal cleaner. Next time you stop at the auto supply, pick one up

"Sandpaper" depending on what type of abrasive is on it, is not a good idea. Some abrasives like Garnet are non conductive and can get imbedded in the soft lead posts and terminals reducing the contact area and reducing the contact area which increases the resistance. At the very least, use a "Scotchbrite" pad.

Glad we were able to help and you found the problem. Happy boating and remember, NO tubing!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window