Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48786
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 12:22am

Topic: Repowering Mustang
Posted By: SugarbushBoater
Subject: Repowering Mustang
Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 7:40pm
Hello - I am looking at a 1966 Mustang as a project. The heads were removed from the motor, motor (Interceptor) is seized. How possible is rebuilding? I have done engine work. but more likely I would like to repower with something newer and remanufactured. But I don't see these motors out there. There are lots of just later - post Y block era.

What's the best approach here?

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 8:08pm
IMOH the engine is the least of your concern How are the stringers, the gelcoat, all the hardware there?, seat frames? How about the windshield- all there? Glass or plastic? Correct Craft trailer? Finally how much is being asked for it .......

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: illiniball2000
Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 8:14pm
If you decide to go with it I have a 302 that was a new long block from Summit Racing that is only a few years old with a DUI installed.

-------------
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite

Posted By: zwoobah
Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 8:50pm
You can often free up a motor by pouring aerokroil, marvel mystery oil, etc in the cylinders and letting it sit, then turning the crank with a giant breaker bar. Check the dipstick for oil first. If you see a lot of water in the oil you'll need to yank the motor. If the oil is clean you might get lucky breaking it free and running it. Take a close look at the cylinders after you get it freed up.

For replacement you can look at a 260, 289, 302. A 351 will fit if you cut and widen the engine cover. This boat would have had a reverse rotation engine originally and you should replace it with another reverse rotation. If you pull the stock motor don't junk it, there are a few specific reverse rotation parts you may need for the replacement.

-------------
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered

Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 10:19pm
Thanks for the comments so far. yes, I know about all the other things to check out. Stringers certainly important. And, I have a lot of auto engine experience. I know you can at times get motors freed up. but then you need to worry about the cylinders, rings, etc. not to mention what's happened with the bearings while it's been sitting. My thought is get a motor in it, enjoy it. rebuilt the original or not depending on what I find. I've rebuilt auto engines before.

of the 260, 289, etc. will they all mate with the velvetglide trans? is it pretty standard crank bolt pattern?

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 10:28pm
Bellhousing would be the concern. A 260 requires a 5 bolt bellhousing. 289,302,351 uses the more common 6 bolt. Chances of finding a 260 easily and in good shape is going to be difficult. A 260 may even be difficult to source parts as well. Brians 302 would certainly be worth looking into.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: June-03-2020 at 8:36am
Thanks, that's a really good point! I didn't know the bell housings would likely be different, that's what I've been wondering. Yes, Brian's 302 sounds good. Wish it were closer to me!

Posted By: illiniball2000
Date Posted: June-03-2020 at 9:15am
I’m sure we could figure out a way to ship it if you were interested.

-------------
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: June-03-2020 at 4:54pm
Unless originality is your #1 concern I would scrap the 260 and move to the 289/302/351 platform. Parts would be easier to find in the future and all of them offer more power. You would need to deal with the bell housing issue but once done you would have the more modern set up.   I freed up my 327 that had been parked since 1978. It took time, a lot of soaking, had to pull the heads, heat the pistons and soaked more. I used the 50/50 mix of acetone and tranny fluid. It worked. The engine turns over freely. Mine will still need a rebuild but even that is much easier if you can rotate your engine. Yours may free up and be fine. Many have in the past.

-------------

Date Posted: June-08-2020 at 5:27pm
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking this boat needs more work than I want to put in it right now. I agree, repower with newer platform makes a lot more sense!

Print Page | Close Window