Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4888
Printed Date: September-27-2024 at 10:38am

Topic: RTV okay to use on carb?
Posted By: Yak3
Subject: RTV okay to use on carb?
Date Posted: September-29-2006 at 4:05pm
So I had this high idle problem and tried spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb with no noticeable difference. So out of other possibilities, I took the carb off and used red rtv to seal the metal to the gaskets. I called a friend of mine and he said it will work for now, but the gas will eat away at it. Is there any recommendations for sealant for the carb?

Replies:
Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: September-29-2006 at 4:26pm
I foresee 79 having a field day with this one...

-------------

Posted By: joed
Date Posted: September-29-2006 at 4:27pm
I believe your answer is new "felpro" gaskets. I'm just a newbie but I remember reading something about those gaskets being superior. I'm sure more experienced members will chime in.
HTH... Joe

Posted By: Jim_In_Houston
Date Posted: September-29-2006 at 4:34pm
Do not use gasket sealant on your carb gasket. Use a good Felpro gasket. Do not use a thin gasket or a Mr. Gasket gasket.

-------------
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Posted By: Yak3
Date Posted: September-29-2006 at 5:08pm
i'm ordering the gaskets now, just to be thorough, the gasket between the plenum and the spacer should be the same as the gasket between the spacer and the carb correct?   

...79 has been helpful to many people. I haven't seen him once be directly derogatory to anyone. I posted on here cause i didn't know. I thought that's what this forum was about...

Posted By: tommer12
Date Posted: September-29-2006 at 7:23pm
Yak3, no worries... 79nautique just likes to be as blunt as possible. For us, who didnt post the question, it is sometimes entertaining for us to read his poetic sentences of truth about correct crafts. Find the transmission posts.. they are tops on my list! ha

cheers

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: September-29-2006 at 8:29pm
ya know he hasnt been wound up in a while,(79)

Yak, if you can clean the surface well and get a piece of emory cloth 320 or so and put on flat ground and try to sand the sealing surfaces, it helps if you put some pb blaster on the cloth, remember be clean, inspect the surfaces (without turning the carb over)this helps if there is any warpage, if anything is warped you will see it in the unsanded surface

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-29-2006 at 10:46pm
Where is 79 when we need him? I agree with Hw, thought 79 would have a field day. Must be getting mellow!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: September-30-2006 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Yak3 Yak3 wrote:

i'm ordering the gaskets now, just to be thorough, the gasket between the plenum and the spacer should be the same as the gasket between the spacer and the carb correct?   

...79 has been helpful to many people. I haven't seen him once be directly derogatory to anyone. I posted on here cause i didn't know. I thought that's what this forum was about...

boy he's a newbie isn't he. use fel-pro or holley gasket not rtv.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: Jim_In_Houston
Date Posted: September-30-2006 at 4:54pm
lmao

-------------
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Print Page | Close Window