Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48950
Printed Date: October-05-2024 at 10:34pm

Topic: Water coming out of drive shaft 2003 SAN 210 TE
Posted By: atalbert
Subject: Water coming out of drive shaft 2003 SAN 210 TE
Date Posted: June-26-2020 at 12:37am
Last weekend my impeller went out on my 2003 SAN 210TE with a 330 Excalibur. While trouble shooting at the lake I took apart my water filter and poured water into the system toward the impeller and engine. When I do this water comes out where my shaft comes out of the hull towards my propeller. Is this normal? I called a dealer about 2.5 hrs away from me and they were no help what so ever. (They just want me to bring it in) When i got it home I took apart the impeller and it was shot and I have replaced that. Any advice would be appreciated. Hoping to get it on the water this weekend.

-------------
Austin

Replies:
Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: June-26-2020 at 3:00am
Assuming that you have a standard packing type shaft seal, the shaft seal is designed to drip one drop of water every 10 seconds or so to keep the shaft cool when it’s spinning. If there’s too much water coming through the shaft, you can tighten the gland nut to reduce the flow of water as described above. The procedure is also described in you owners manual.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: June-26-2020 at 7:25am
Originally posted by atalbert atalbert wrote:

Last weekend my impeller went out on my 2003 SAN 210TE with a 330 Excalibur. While trouble shooting at the lake I took apart my water filter and poured water into the system toward the impeller and engine. When I do this water comes out where my shaft comes out of the hull towards my propeller. Is this normal? I called a dealer about 2.5 hrs away from me and they were no help what so ever. (They just want me to bring it in) When i got it home I took apart the impeller and it was shot and I have replaced that. Any advice would be appreciated. Hoping to get it on the water this weekend.

If you're saying that water is leaking externally from the boat out onto the ground along the shaft, it sounds to me like you have a dripless shaft seal in the boat that uses water for lubrication and cooling of the seal and that what you're seeing is normal.

There would be a small diameter piece of tubing tapping into the side of the seal inside the boat on most mechanical seals.

If you have old style shaft packing, then something weird is going on here

A picture of the seal inside the boat would be worth a thousand words.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-26-2020 at 8:27am
Austin,
Yes, I agree with Ken that you have a dripless seal.

I have a question/suggestion. Have you been running the boat out of the water without any water connection? If so I highly recommend not doing it. The RWP (raw water pump) rubber impeller is water lubricated so without water it doesn't take very much time to burn up the impeller. Even the scenario " I had better start the engine before we get down the ramp just to make sure it will start" will do it.

BTW, I sure would at all costs avoid that dealer you called. If they couldn't figure out you have a dripless shaft seal, I wouldn't let them even look, touch and even worse work on my boat.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-26-2020 at 9:31am
Do you have a dripless shaft seal with a water line going to it?

How about a picture?

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Print Page | Close Window