Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49356
Printed Date: May-17-2024 at 10:42pm

Topic: '77 Ski Tique Fuel Level Sensor
Posted By: txleadfoot
Subject: '77 Ski Tique Fuel Level Sensor
Date Posted: October-18-2020 at 4:13pm
I have the fuel tank out and the fuel level sender removed.  Can someone tell me the best way to test it?  I'm getting an Ohm range of .02-.27 when grounding to the chassis of the sender, and the power probe to the top screw housing while moving the wand full range.  Forgive me, I am not an electrical expert!

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-18-2020 at 4:32pm
Shaun,
The most standard full to empty Ohm range for a fuel gauge and sender is 33 to 240. There are others but I'd say you should have the 33 to 240. Did you move the arm to get the reading? But, it sounds to me by the Ohms you are reading that a new sender is in order. 

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: October-18-2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by txleadfoot txleadfoot wrote:

I have the fuel tank out and the fuel level sender removed.  Can someone tell me the best way to test it?  I'm getting an Ohm range of .02-.27 when grounding to the chassis of the sender, and the power probe to the top screw housing while moving the wand full range.  Forgive me, I am not an electrical expert!

I guess the natural question would be ...............what did the gauge read before you took things apart?

With readings like that it should have read pegged on Full all the time when the boat was running.

Are you saying that one ohmmeter lead is connected to the threaded terminal itself and the other to the plate with 5 mounting holes in it?   Just checking Wink

Date Posted: October-19-2020 at 3:40pm
Yes, I have the red lead inside the threaded terminal on top and the black lead touching the rectangular arm holder in the photo.  Is that correct?

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-19-2020 at 5:08pm

Yes, I have the red lead inside the threaded terminal on top and the black lead touching the rectangular arm holder in the photo.  Is that correct?
Shaun,
One lead on the screw terminal and then the other should be on the round mounting plate that fastens to the tank. The rectangle should work but the round plate is where the sender is grounded to the tank.

Have you been moving the arm when reading the Ohms? Then as Ken asked, what was the gauge doing before you removed the sender? 

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-19-2020 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Have you been moving the arm when reading the Ohms? Then as Ken asked, what was the gauge doing before you removed the sender? 

while moving the wand full range.  

Just a guess on my part , but I think the wand is the float arm Wink

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: October-19-2020 at 8:46pm
I personally won't use the "swing arm float level" type fuel sensor anymore.  I have found that the capacitive level sensors to be far more accurate thru out the entire range.  They are tank depth specific only.  It has been my experience that read exactly what is in the tank.  Make sure you order the correct depth and the correct resistance.  

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-19-2020 at 9:59pm
Thats because your not a keep it original guy Duane. Part of the vintage boat experience is running out of gas while the gauge still shows some LOL   Here is Wema's page,they have decent prices but if you do a search you can find better deals.  http://https://kus-usa.com/product/sss-ssl-sender/" rel="nofollow - https://kus-usa.com/product/sss-ssl-sender/

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: October-19-2020 at 10:04pm
Same reason I run an MSD Ignition system.  I like things that work.

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: October-19-2020 at 10:58pm
Gents, thank you for the helpful feedback.  I fear this may be a false alarm!  I "filled" the fuel tank on the trip home from CA with a crazy fantasy that we could run the boat at Lake Meredith near Amarillo (realized bad idea after previous owner warned that the impeller should be replaced).  The gauge read 1/2 full when we arrived home.  Now that I think back, I siphoned 10 gallons out of the tank to maneuver it out to repair the floor.  I did some quick measurements and after some volume calculations I believe the tank should hold 21 gallons, not 10.  I'm sure someone here knows for sure.  So maybe the gauge was correct?  I tried a different ohmmeter today on the sender and it read something like 33-270 ohms.  Sorry!  I'll keep the group updated.

Date Posted: October-20-2020 at 5:27am
Sounds like meter #2 works a lot better

CC listed the tank as having an 18 gallon capacity. The listed volume and a calculated volume won't necessarily be the same either since they most likely leave a little room for expansion of the gas.

So anyway........it holds a lot more than 10gallons

Maybe somebody with a 77ish Tique will tell you what his holds Wink

Posted By: Mille1sj
Date Posted: November-08-2020 at 9:35am
When I reboot our 77 Tique Last year I removed the tank, drained and cleaned. I remover putting around 17-18 gallons in when infilled the tank.

Print Page | Close Window