Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49672
Printed Date: September-26-2024 at 2:04pm

Topic: Losing power 94 ski nautique pro boss
Posted By: Mweber
Subject: Losing power 94 ski nautique pro boss
Date Posted: March-16-2021 at 5:40pm
Boat runs fine on idle, but hesitates and dogs down when load applied. Any easy fix ideas before taking into a mechanic? Smells like it is running rich. ???

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: March-16-2021 at 6:07pm
Since I get easily confused on Pro Boss stuff, is this

Fuel Injected or a carburetor?

ProTec ignition or a conventional distributor?

Posted By: Mweber
Date Posted: March-16-2021 at 8:37pm
Carburetor and protec ignition

Date Posted: March-17-2021 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Mweber Mweber wrote:

Carburetor and protec ignition

With the info you gave, it's kinda hard to give any kind of good answer without a better description of the problem but since it's a ProTec ignition system, there are plenty of people around here who will automatically jump up and say it's the ProTec system failing and recommend replacing it with a distributor, with the argument that if it isn't failing , it eventually will fail.

It could easily be that you have fuel system/carburetor issues though instead of ignition system problems.

Is the boat new to you or have you had it a while and this just came up?

Can you give a more detailed description of what is happening?

Posted By: Nauti Gator
Date Posted: April-11-2021 at 11:42pm
I don't know how much you want to invest - but my '93 SNOB runs amazing after replacing both the carb and the Protec.  I have a new Holley along with the DUI distributor.  CCF Forum was lots of help with the upgrades.  Best investments I have ever made in my Nauti Gator.

Posted By: Erikgundy98
Date Posted: April-13-2021 at 9:46pm
Hey, did you follow a write up or do you know if one, that shows pictures of what to leave and what to take off when going through this. 

I am a little lost with some of the instructions on the distributor literature. 

Thanks!
Erik

Posted By: fahtal
Date Posted: April-14-2021 at 2:34am
can you check the spark plugs. maybe they can indicate it is running to rich. 

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: April-14-2021 at 10:27pm
Bogging down is a typical symptom of a problem with the carb’s accelerator circuit.  We need a bit more info for a better diagnosis.  

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: April-15-2021 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Erikgundy98 Erikgundy98 wrote:

Hey, did you follow a write up or do you know if one, that shows pictures of what to leave and what to take off when going through this. 

I am a little lost with some of the instructions on the distributor literature. 

Thanks!
Erik

I spent some time researching this site - there were quite a few detailed posts about the conversion.  Jonny Quest was also very helpful regarding some specific questions I had.  We ran it hard all day last Friday and Saturday and it performed flawless.  I have the Davis Unified Ignition along with their "live wires".  Last fall I set the old ProTech ignition in a box and its now completely stuck in the box from all the goo ozzing out of the ProTech.  And I have a Holly carbed 351 with GT40 heads.  I'm happy to help with any pics / info you need.

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: April-18-2021 at 10:26am
Gator:

I'm glad the engine is running well.  You won't regret the DUI system.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: April-18-2021 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Gator:

JQ

Jonny - one thing I keep wondering is why anyone would replace the original Protec with a pointless distributor and still have to run a coil and resistor?

The DUI is self contained and was an easy install - I think 2 wires if I remember.  

Date Posted: April-19-2021 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Nauti Gator Nauti Gator wrote:

Gator:

JQ

Jonny - one thing I keep wondering is why anyone would replace the original Protec with a pointless distributor and still have to run a coil and resistor?

The DUI is self contained and was an easy install - I think 2 wires if I remember.  

And here I always thought the DUI had one of those things called a coil, mounted on top of the distributor cap Wink

What are those other 3 wires that are associated with the DUI?  They seems to have something to do with that big thing on top of the cap

Date Posted: April-20-2021 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by Nauti Gator Nauti Gator wrote:

Gator:

JQ

And here I always thought the DUI had one of those things called a coil, mounted on top of the distributor cap Wink

What are those other 3 wires that are associated with the DUI?  They seems to have something to do with that big thing on top of the cap

That's true!   I should have said "external coil"  Wacko
Its compact and works well - so far so good!

Print Page | Close Window