Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50178
Printed Date: October-03-2024 at 8:33pm

Topic: Dies at idle
Posted By: adamo
Subject: Dies at idle
Date Posted: August-30-2021 at 10:19am
I have a 83 southwind with a 351. The boat runs Awsome until it is run pretty hard for about 20-30 min. It runs good above 1000 rpms and accelerates and everything well. The problem is at idle and mainly at idle speeds when in gear. It wants to miss a beat and die. It will start back up no problem, don’t even have to give it gas. But as soon as I put it back in gear it tries to die. It does not do thst until it’s been driven a while then just gets worse and worse the longer I drive it but at higher speeds it does perfectly. I was wondering what could be happening to cause this? The motor runs right at 150-160 but I can feel the carb and air filter getting pretty hot and wonder if it’s getting to warm with the hood down. I feel it has to be a carb issue

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: August-30-2021 at 6:00pm
Could be carb, could be ignition (like coil).  Check both systems.  Look down carb throat while it idles.  Dripping from venturis is bad.
Check spark for intensity (when problem is present).  Take a spare plug with you so you can just pull a wire to check.  Make sure you don't smell gas at this time . . . 

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Print Page | Close Window