Print Page | Close Window

Ski Nautique Lists to Starboard

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50957
Printed Date: April-19-2024 at 5:18pm

Topic: Ski Nautique Lists to Starboard
Posted By: winniskier
Subject: Ski Nautique Lists to Starboard
Date Posted: October-21-2022 at 2:25pm
My neighbor bought this 2000 Ski Nautique and discovered that it lists to starboard both at rest with nobody in it and at speed with two equal weight guys driving and spotting.  His boat does not have ballast tanks. The only accessories that may be relevant are the heater in the bow on the starboard side.  The boat has a hot water shower system.  I am not sure if any of its components are near the heater.
Anyone have any ideas of what is going on? 

-------------
Jim

Replies:
Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: October-21-2022 at 4:48pm
It could have a structural failure that has allowed water into the cavities under the floor that should be sealed.  If there is foam in those cavities it will get water logged and add weight.  Another possibility is that a previous owner has hidden some ballast.  A friend of mine bought a Tige that the previous owner had hidden lead bars around the boat for ballast.

-------------
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: October-21-2022 at 6:05pm
Yea there is a issue with that one. however feel under the driver seat in the cavity and make sure there are no weight plates hidden there. 2 25 pound barbell weights will fit under the driver seat. also check behind the kick panel and make sure no one stacked something there.
many of those boats as great a skiing boat as they were needed weight on the starboard side to run level at slalom speeds. normally we would use a 50-75 pound weight that was easily moved around.

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-21-2022 at 7:25pm
My 95's build sheet notes that on it's water test it listed 1/2". Don't remember which way though.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: October-21-2022 at 9:17pm
I thought this boat would have closed cell foam that would not get waterlogged.  If I am right, would the water have little room under the floor?  Are there any weep hole and if not, could they be drilled to drain the water?

-------------
Jim

Posted By: MourningWood
Date Posted: October-22-2022 at 1:04am
I think if you take off the swim platform brackets, water will leak out (if it's in there). 

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: October-22-2022 at 7:37am
I'd probably call whoever the boat was bought from and see what they can tell him.

No test ride when he bought the boat?

It must ride with a pretty good list with only the driver in it.(Lone Ranger,.... no Tonto  Wink}

Date Posted: October-25-2022 at 8:16pm
The prior owner was not aware of the issue.  He owned the boat for 2 years and could not locate the stern light under the gunwale. Someone suggested there were weep holes to drain under the floor.  If there aren't any, is it possible to add them?

-------------
Jim

Date Posted: November-10-2022 at 9:55pm
It's almost certain their is water under the floor on the starboard side.  Are there any pictures of the stringers etc for a boat of this year?  There are a gazillion pictures of boats with wood stringers.  

-------------
Jim

Date Posted: November-11-2022 at 5:20am
May not be very helpful but there's a cutaway drawing of the boat/stringer/foam arrangement in the link.

Look at page 32 of 36

http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/2000/2000bro.pdf" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: November-11-2022 at 7:00am
Years ago KRoundy cut up a boat,don't remember the year. This is the only picture I saved from it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-11-2022 at 8:01am
He had a 93 and then he cut up another 93.

Here's a link to one of his 93 threads (the boat he was saving) with some info and more pictures

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23485" rel="nofollow - link

I guess you could say 93 and 00 are at least similar Wink

Date Posted: November-11-2022 at 8:21am
And in this link you'll find kroundy's boat blog with all kinds of pictures of all kinds of things.

http://kroundysboat.wordpress.com/page/5/" rel="nofollow - link

Scroll far enough and you'll come to a slide show of the cutting up of the 93 donor hull 

Like Gary's picture........Just chock full of foam with the fiberglass floor over it.  Wink

You'll see that same picture in the slide show of the hull being cut up

Date Posted: November-11-2022 at 11:55am
if you're sure there's water and wet foam on that side and you want to get rid of it without being too intrusive, click on the link below to a thread by Gotta Ski

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50758&KW=&title=boat-restore" rel="nofollow - link

Some strategically drilled holes, a pressure washer and a shop vac and you're in business maybe.

Lke he said there are YouTube videos about this.

Never having done this, I thought I'd just throw it out there for you to look at/think about Wink 

Date Posted: March-20-2023 at 7:00am
This boat may be for sale now.  Let me know if you have interest.

-------------
Jim

Date Posted: March-23-2023 at 3:09pm
Hopefully at a lopsided price....Wink

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Posted By: bwinn
Date Posted: March-24-2023 at 11:15am
You be the judge.

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/gilford-2000-ski-nautique/7602447758.html

Date Posted: March-24-2023 at 3:54pm
https://ibb.co/FxVMB4L" rel="nofollow">

Carnac here says.................Boat leans right, standup seller not hiding it, priced right.............it'll be gone in no time without a test ride. Wink

Date Posted: March-24-2023 at 6:19pm
clicked on the ad, thought it was gone but I guess it was operator error, it's still there.

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: March-24-2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

You be the judge.

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/gilford-2000-ski-nautique/7602447758.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/gilford-2000-ski-nautique/7602447758.html" rel="nofollow - http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/gilford-2000-ski-nautique/7602447758.html

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: March-24-2023 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Carnac here says.................Boat leans right, standup seller not hiding it, priced right.............it'll be gone in no time without a test ride. Wink

Agree that's a really good price for a 2000 Ski, even if you need to figure out the list.  Pretty amazing slalom wake for 11k.  I look at used boats just for the fun of it and seems like everything worthwhile is 20k plus.

-------------

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: March-24-2023 at 10:41pm
Dang good price…

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: wayoutthere
Date Posted: April-01-2023 at 6:36pm
That's tempting. Way cheaper and faster than a full project.
I would pull the carpet.
After some strategic exploratory surgery;
1. cut out the floor in sections i.e. 6 inches wide X 18-24 inches long real nice and save the cutouts.
2.Remove the foam
3. Not put foam back in.
4. Hot glue tongue depressors to the floor cutouts so they hungover a few inches and set them back in.
5. Tab on some glass, after it dries pull the tongue depressors and finish glassing it over.
5a. Especially glass around the perimeter of the floor to the hull sides, my bet since it's foam filled and glassed over, the guys at the factory just kinda got a little bit of mat up the hullsides, just enough to get it past warranty before it pops loose here and there letting any water that gets on the floor leak into the cavity.
6. Throw in some new carpet and be done with it, go skiing baby !

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: April-01-2023 at 8:37pm
WOT.  It’s calling your name.  Buy it already.  

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: April-01-2023 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

My 95's build sheet notes that on it's water test it listed 1/2".

You know what would be way easier than going through all that work for potentially very little gain?  Have the build sheet pulled at the factory and get it's water test results. What if you did all that and still had a list?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: wayoutthere
Date Posted: April-01-2023 at 9:48pm
Johnny, I couldn't do the kind of work to do it justice. Too new and too nice
Gary, your probably right and that would be a smart play.
Was there ever any word from the factory about why some list or is there a theory out there.

Maybe next spring another boat will come my way. Cleaning out the shed today found the last remnants of the 79 and thought i'd breeze thru and say hi. Really liked that boat.

Someone will pick it up and it'll be a good boat for them

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: April-01-2023 at 11:17pm
Buy it, place about 125 pounds of ballast on the passenger side to level it and use it for the next 10 years or so.Beer

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: April-03-2023 at 8:57am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Buy it, place about 125 pounds of ballast on the passenger side to level it and use it for the next 10 years or so.Beer

Gret idea.  Heck of a boat for the price.  

Date Posted: April-03-2023 at 9:25am
We carry 75 pounds under the passenger seat of a 2017 -200 CB, only take it out if there are two big persons (200 plus} in the passenger seating. or it goes in the back for tricks.
the last year or so of the slant back as well as the first couple years of the bubble butt. many of our promo as well as factory team boats needed 40 pounds no matter what, stuffed in the cavity under the drivers seat.
Today, go to an event, competition (whatever they want to call it theses day's). one will find lead ballast bags as well as boats with water tanks for level as well as electronic wake enhancing that can be tailored to change the wake configuration at the touch of a button.
the boat up for sale is a great deal and would make a perfect candidate for a 6.0 re-power as well as ZO update and overall refresh..

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: April-03-2023 at 9:29am
Ive left the floor in place and extracted all the foam out with just some (11)  5" hole saws, then reglassed the holes, leveled, added some more ply everywhere. will never get soggy again. 
putting foam back is one's user discretion

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: April-03-2023 at 10:48am
We carry 75 pounds under the passenger seat of a 2017 -200 CB, only take it out if there are two big persons (200 plus} in the passenger seating. or it goes in the back for tricks.
the last year or so of the slant back as well as the first couple years of the bubble butt. many of our promo as well as factory team boats needed 40 pounds no matter what, stuffed in the cavity under the drivers seat.
Today, go to an event, competition (whatever they want to call it theses day's). one will find lead ballast bags as well as boats with water tanks for level as well as electronic wake enhancing that can be tailored to change the wake configuration at the touch of a button.
the boat up for sale is a great deal and would make a perfect candidate for a 6.0 re-power as well as ZO update and overall refresh..

-------------

Date Posted: April-03-2023 at 11:11am
Jody, what's a 6.0 re-power cost these days, just ballpark number?  And what's the HP rating of the 6.0 drop in?

-------------

Date Posted: April-03-2023 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

My 95's build sheet notes that on it's water test it listed 1/2". Don't remember which way though.

Same mold? 

Bought a year-old '95 with same 1/2" stbd. lean. (at speed)
My then relationship w/ Correct Craft got boat on the water during '97 AWSA certification tests at Folsom Lake, Ca. They confirmed the lean and then added a 'wedge' (slight hook) to the starboard aft hull at transom. Solved.

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Date Posted: April-04-2023 at 9:06am
David,
A new 6.0 non cat bobtail sitting on my floor with all the adapter mounts and electrical adapter plus shipping and tax is near the $13 K range. HP is 409.
i also highly recommend replacing the transmission at the same time. another $2500.
Zero off is $1600.00
getting started on a 94 Sport, total budget $35K includes new engine and transmission, All cables as well as all underwater gear serviced , new gauges including zero off. bottom clean as well as hull detail and complete interior and sea-deck..
I think the boat was a family hand me down, so 0 cost to the owner for the roller..

-------------

Date Posted: April-04-2023 at 12:20pm
Thanks for the info, interesting.  With the price of boats these days a repower makes more sense than ever.

-------------

Date Posted: April-05-2023 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

David,
A new 6.0 non cat bobtail sitting on my floor with all the adapter mounts and electrical adapter plus shipping and tax is near the $13 K range. HP is 409.
i also highly recommend replacing the transmission at the same time. another $2500.

So what transmission sells for 2500 bucks to go with the new engine ?

Date Posted: April-05-2023 at 9:18am
Keno,
Yea I just called in an order for a new 80 kit. my price significantly higher then the one sitting on my floor ordered about 3 months ago. $700 higher!!
DIM wants $3900.00 retail..
So in three months they have jacked up the price $700, in over a year $1000.00!
One of the big things that have changed is availability of these units.. they are now stocking them.. no more 9-6 week wait.

-------------

Date Posted: April-06-2023 at 11:55am
I would have to ask, why are they not rebuilt?   Are parts available these are pretty simple transmissions I don’t understand why they are not rebuilt unless the aluminum case is being destroyed when a bearing fails but even that could be machined for a repair sleeve for reasonable money?
I say this since I am currently rebuilding a GM 6L80 6 speed automatic and all parts are available same day locally for about $1500 and it is far more complicated than the boat transmissions.   

-------------

Date Posted: April-06-2023 at 12:49pm
PCM no longer supports this model and the unit was propriety to PCM. the major failure in these are cracked clutch disk drums or sealing drum rings that walk out of the groove and tear up the groove. replacement drums have not been available for nearly 10 years now or more. they are not really friendly for rebuilding in the best conditions as there are a couple specialized tools for these units. now Clutch disks are unavailable as well as other small items for that unit.
I had and have a number of them (cores) that i pulled down trying to rebuild 1 out of the four i took apart there were not enough good parts to rebuild.... Cracked drums all. bottom line is the only people with replacement parts are far and few in between. also the 40 series is a bit more complicated then the borg 71/72 units as well the newer 80 series resembles the borg in many ways, Having not been into one yet , though i would wager a lot of the parts that go into the 72C may also work in the 80???

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2023 at 1:16pm
Thanks for explaining.  Extra good reason for regular oil changes in the tranny of the 40 series I guess.  Are the failures related to hours used or hard use/abuse?   I hope a new affordable option pops up as there are so many of these boats on the water.
There are a ton of old Malibu and other ski boats out there with the 1:1 tranny’s but it would be a shame to change over from the Nautique power train.   I have a buddy selling his old Malibu today, he has not started it in 5 years but is selling the boat for $1500 with the 351W and tranny still in good shape.    Sounds like just the Powertrain has more value than he is selling for.   His interior is shot and the gel coat is faded but boat and trailer with a good Powertrain for $1500 seems cheap.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I hope a new affordable option pops up as there are so many of these boats on the water.

I think that if you ask PCM the new "affordable option" is the 80A/80I. Wink

Getting water in the 40 series seems to be the biggest killer

Date Posted: April-07-2023 at 7:03pm
Would that be from a bad tanny cooler Ken?  Got me thinking about upgrades.

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2023 at 8:06am
Bad cooler would be the most likely thing unless you submerge.it Even then, the dipstick or the vent/relief valve would need to leak.

The vent/relief is a check valve and water won't flow into the transmission through there unless it leaks.

Date Posted: April-08-2023 at 8:15am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

https://ibb.co/FxVMB4L" rel="nofollow">

Well Carnac is obviously slipping a little since the boat still seems to be available

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/gilford-2000-ski-nautique/7602447758.html" rel="nofollow - link  to the ad on Craig's List

Maybe since ice out was declared on Winnipesaukee, a test ride will sell it

Bring some weight to balance the boat 

Posted By: Faceplant
Date Posted: April-08-2023 at 9:00pm
I was very proud of myself. Made a delivery in the area this past Wednesday and I didn't go to see it. Customers sort of frown at you when you show up in a semi. Ask me how I know. Told my wife what I didn't do when I got home. She patted me on the head and said " good boy - good boy " . I've picked up enough stuff from across the country. Seems like a good price though.

-------------
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.

Date Posted: April-17-2023 at 12:46am
New owner?

Date Posted: April-17-2023 at 6:31am
Carnac tells me the boat showed up on FB marketplace and disappeared shortly after that.

It was there yesterday and gone today

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-18-2023 at 7:05am
And now it’s back up for 15k with no mention of the lean?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/207828538622590/?mibextid=6ojiHh" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/207828538622590/?mibextid=6ojiHh

Date Posted: April-18-2023 at 7:45am
And the plot thickens, Wink

Same registration numbers NH 0727 BK 

https://ibb.co/2Nypq3K" rel="nofollow">

How long will it last this time?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-19-2023 at 11:11am
I contacted the seller and he confirmed it is the same boat (duh) and confirmed the list/lean when asked. Also said he’d resell at $11k if I were interested (I am not).

So only moderately shady for an unsuspecting buyer.

Date Posted: April-19-2023 at 12:31pm
Thanks for the follow up Tim

Date Posted: April-21-2023 at 1:49am
At 11K I think it is a very good buy.   You just don't find those hulls at affordable prices.

-------------

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: April-21-2023 at 7:38am
Boat shows well in the picture - especially uncovered in the rain.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: April-21-2023 at 7:59am
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Boat shows well in the picture - especially uncovered in the rain.

That's a New Hampsha' boat wash Wink

Date Posted: April-29-2023 at 1:59pm
Sold again.............wonder what happens next?

https://ibb.co/44bcGBS" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June-01-2023 at 6:13am
https://ibb.co/JznR22Y" rel="nofollow">
Check out those registration numbers 

I guess he buffed out the list....or not Wink    It still shows up in the pictures

And the price just keeps going up and up

http://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1277594733134140/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post" rel="nofollow - link  to the ad

Date Posted: June-04-2023 at 5:37am
Seems you can see the list if you look hard enough!

-------------
Jim

Date Posted: June-04-2023 at 5:46am
Here is a picture of the boat pulling a skier in NH on 12/31/22.  

-------------
Jim

Print Page | Close Window