Forum Name: Off Topic
Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51656
Printed Date: July-05-2024 at 3:19am

Topic: Help needed with cam timing-Ford 312 RR
Posted By: MourningWood
Subject: Help needed with cam timing-Ford 312 RR
Date Posted: June-30-2024 at 2:11pm
Well, it's been too many years for me to remember how to time the cam, and I've lost the picture I had:

Ford Interceptor 312 Y-block reverse rotation.  This setup substitutes 2 constant-mesh gears for the timing chain. There is a particular way to set the marks on the gears, and I'm hoping someone knows...thanks.

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Replies:
Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: July-04-2024 at 10:25am
Call Nautique Parts.com and ask for our old friend Woody, ill bet he knows something about it.
910-247-6201

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: July-05-2024 at 2:12am
I have pretty good engine parts sources, I tried to chase this issue today to see what could be found.  No Luck, I can verify the 312 and 292 Y blocks share the same timing sets so use both engines in your searches.

The 292 timing chain set up is odd.  the sprocket marks both face the Left side of the engine on set up and the chain has 2 marks on it for alignment with the two sprockets.   The Gear Drive your unit uses may have an odd set up like the chain drive.  (left side in engine talk is always determined when you are standing behind the flywheel looking forward towards the front of the car.   So looking at the engine from the actual front the Left side would be on the RIGHT, looking from the front.

IF you happen to have the cam card for the cam in your engine you should be able to rotate the engine with the heads off but cam connected and use a micrometer to measure the actual cam lift in relation to the camshaft and work backwards to the proper timing set up.   Kind of like Dialing in the cam in reverse.  But you need the specs on the cam.  Any New Cam for a 292 or 312 should come with a cam card as a starting point.   Then of course you would need to know the reverse rotation firing order.  

There is a Ford Y Block Forum, Y Blocks Forever,  Maybe one of those members will have the information needed?   Best of luck.
Mark

Print Page | Close Window