Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51683
Printed Date: October-18-2024 at 4:28am

Topic: Correct Coil replacment
Posted By: jmcl197
Subject: Correct Coil replacment
Date Posted: July-09-2024 at 3:28pm
Hey....got this boat running after sitting for 12 years ....a barn find :)   Looking to see what coil replacement (internal or external resistor) I would need?   1979 Ski Nautique....looks mostly original engine/parts.     Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-09-2024 at 8:03pm
My ultra sharp X ray vision tells me that you have an electronic module under the distributor cap, probably a Pertronix.

Well OK, the red and black wires coming from the distributor yo the coil are a giveaway that there's an electronic module tucked under there  Also the ballast resistor with the wires hooked to one post to bypass it is a pretty good clue too  Wink

Pertronix would tell you that one of their Flamethrower or Flamethrower 2 coils would be good but they also tell you that really any 1.5 ohm coil will work whether it says that it needs an external resistor or not.

A couple of numbers that could be cross referenced or used would be 

Standard FD-471 or BWD E70

Or go to your local parts store and ask for a run of the mill stock replacement coil for a 67 Ford Mustang with a 289 and a 4 speed. 

Stock engine, electronic conversion........no super duper fancy coil needed

Date Posted: July-10-2024 at 7:48am
Thank you so much........Appreciate the information and the time to respond.  Will head out today and grab a new coil.   

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-10-2024 at 7:50am
That would lead to a question like......why do you need a new one?

Like you said, most everything looks original on your barn find Wink

Date Posted: July-10-2024 at 7:59am
Had it out for the first time this past weekend......first time on the lake in double digit years.  Ran great and about an hour or so in started running a bit rough and would stall.    Isolated it to coil being old and maybe breaking down a bit and ran resistance and there were little to no ohms when tested leading me to conclude that it might need a new one.....  Been a fun project and will continue to get it in shape cosmetically and mechanically.   Appreciate it.   

Print Page | Close Window