Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5343
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 11:40pm

Topic: GT40 Heads...again
Posted By: 81nautique
Subject: GT40 Heads...again
Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 1:33pm
After reading all the old posts I'm still confused, can someone verify a few points for me. I am shopping for gt40 heads for my 81 351w

Do I have my facts straight?

1.GT40 heads have 63cc chamber.
2.GT40P heads have 59cc chambers.
3.Both are a bolt on using ALL existing valve train parts
4. Either casting will fit with my PCM exhaust manifolds, ei: angled plugs?

Also

Did the pro boss motor and the later GT40 motor have the same castings and which one Gt40 or Gt40P.

Hate to bring this all up again but I want to do this right the first time. Thanks.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Replies:
Posted By: pmt2234
Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 1:44pm
I have iron GT40P heads on my 1984 351, and the plugs clear the PCM headers by more than the stock heads.

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 7:38pm
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes

All the PCM ProBoss and GT40 motors used the regular GT40 heads.

The GT40p's were debuted on the Explorer's and Mountaineers in '98. Theyre a slightly better design than the GT40's, as they flow a little better all around despite having smaller exhaust valves (intake valves are the same size). They also give a little jump in CR. I believe the GT40p's put me right around 9.5:1.

I had no problem dropping them right onto my motor- I reused the stock pushrods and rockers. The spark plug angle actually improves clearance to the exhaust manifolds.

I got the p's real cheap on ebay ($230). If I were to do it again, Id get them from Tristate Cylinder head for $550. Once I paid for a valve job and upgraded springs, I spent more than that.

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 8:14pm
Posts like this are like putting out the "bat signal" for TRB.

Tim's boss: What's wrong Tim?
TRB: There's been a disturbance in the force. Someone mentioned swapping GT40's on CCFan...

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Posts like this are like putting out the "bat signal" for TRB.

Tim's boss: What's wrong Tim?
TRB: There's been a disturbance in the force. Someone mentioned swapping GT40's on CCFan...

Judging from his posts,he certainly has done his homework.

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 10:19pm
Joel,

Tim's email isn't listed or I would have just asked him directly. He's the guy I was looking for anyway.

Tim, I looked at tristate today, $540 for the pair. You can find them on ebay for $2-300 plus shipping plus about $300 to have them gone though. tri state it is. Next question will be intake but that ones alittle easier.

Thanks for everything.

-------------

Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Joel,

Tim's email isn't listed or I would have just asked him directly. He's the guy I was looking for anyway.

I didn't mean it in the sense that someone would intentionally be looking for TRB but more in the sense of poking some fun at TRB for being so enthusiastic about GT40 heads and advanced engine work in general. Eh, oh well. Some things just don't go over right in text.

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 11:42pm
We got it Joel. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 8:21am

Joel,

I didn't mean it in the sense that someone would intentionally be looking for TRB but more in the sense of poking some fun at TRB for being so enthusiastic about GT40 heads and advanced engine work in general. Eh, oh well. Some things just don't go over right in text.

Umm, My comment was meant to be humorous too, guess I better work on my delivery. Here's a couple smileys for ya

-------------

Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 9:07am
I believe Jim in Houston may have been the first to try the p's on a CC- or at least the first to document it.

Alan, feel free to email me if youve got any other questions: TRBenj at gmail dot com. Ive also got an Edelbrock Performer looking for a home if youre interested.

-------------

Posted By: Nautique2001
Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 1:56pm
I love Tim's enthusiasm. Always there when somebody has an easy or technical question. He's given out thousands of dollars worth of mechanical advice. I'm sort of "mechanically challenged" in some ways, but Tim and several other folks have tweaked my knowledge. Joel's right, Tim's always right there when you need him.

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Posted By: PLBC
Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 2:10pm
get a room...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5164&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 99

Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 2:28pm
LOL

Posted By: Nautique2001
Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 2:33pm
That's no Brokeback Mountain talk, that's just keeping it real, Ight.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 8:48pm
TRB: What do you want for the Performer? Will it take my Holley ok? I have a 351W in the '80. Thanks. Gotta get me some of those heads someday as well, can't swing $500 right now.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 11:18pm
Jbear, the Performer would have fit your '80 nicely, but Im afraid that Alan has spoken for it already. If you look carefully you can find nice ones on ebay for equally short money.

With all the prize money your '80 has surely won by now, Im surprised you dont have a stockpile of engine parts in the garage. Im sure '79 would help with the install

-------------

Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 11:58pm
Tim; No prise money yet but.......Last time 79 looked under my motorbox he just laughed. I bet I could get him up for the challenge tho. I'll look on e-bay altho I have never had any success getting anything there. Always afraid I am bidding on the wrong thing. Congrats to 81, he will be adding to an already sweet boat.

Opps......PLBC will be tellin' me to "get a room" next.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 8:49am
Sorry about that jbear, I've learned to make my mind up real fast with this hobby. Seems if there's something thats got your interest you need to jump on it while it's still available.

Just ordered my heads too, I was going to rework my trailer this winter but decided hopping up the motor would be much more fun.

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 9:21am

Sorry about that jbear, I've learned to make my mind up real fast with this hobby. Seems if there's something thats got your interest you need to jump on it while it's still available.

Just ordered my heads too, I was going to rework my trailer this winter but decided hopping up the motor would be much more fun.

Alan, awesome. The boat is already fast- it'll be a monster now. I'd like to see this actually done in person so perhaps I'll invite myself over for the swap .

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 9:46am
Head swap party @ Alan's????

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm ashamed to say I still have beer left over from Halloween and may need some help disposing of it. I love the stuff but don't drink much without help.

Got a lot of prep to do so it may be a while

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 10:22am
I'll document the swap for a possible DIY...

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 10:33am
I'll drink the beer. Once again a thread goes from boat talk to beer, I'll take the blame for this one.

Carry on.

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 11:52am

I'll document the swap for a possible DIY...

I'm a shade tree mechanic at best, we could be setting ourselves up for some major critic.

My moto, if it don't fit get a bigger hammer. We should probably stick to drinking beers

-------------

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 12:14pm

I'm in... for swap'n some beers down .... Alan, good decision on the motor work.. The trailer can wait

Let me know when to show up and hold the hammer for ya hahaha..

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I'm in... for swap'n some beers down .... Alan, good decision on the motor work.. The trailer can wait

Let me know when to show up and hold the hammer for ya hahaha..

Moj'

Oh, and Alan, if you could do those wings and beef again that would be great. Don't forget the hot giardinera.

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 12:58pm

OK, please tell me this is not as it sounds, Hollywood with lip balm and a wig, holding the nuts while everyone else screws em in?

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

OK, please tell me this is not as it sounds, Hollywood with lip balm and a wig, holding the nuts while everyone else screws em in?

CQ, I've gotta say this one is a bit of a stretch. They're not all winners.

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 1:45pm
More like we all stand around drink some beers while Alan gets some head. Reminds me of college...

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 1:57pm
Joel & Co.,

Speaking of Chicken Wings, I just came across $200 worth of gift certificates for Hooters. Gift from a vendor. Catch is I have to use them up before dec 31.

So what about getting the chicago area madmen together at Hooters in Downers Grove Some night between xmas and new years. $200 should get us a pretty good start and we'll just split the rest.

Anybody in? I can't drink that much beer or eat all those wings by myself

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 2:36pm
That sounds like a plan- that week is pretty tight for me though- 12/26 my be the only day I could swing for that.

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 2:48pm

That sounds like a plan- that week is pretty tight for me though- 12/26 my be the only day I could swing for that.

I might be out on Kwanzaa too, any other day is totally fine though. Will BKH be flying in?

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 2:57pm
I'm in Magic (that is for wings and beers) ,,, name the day..

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 4:21pm
Ok, lets hear from Quinner and anyone else interested and we'll set a day. I'm flexible since I'll be goofing off all week on vacation.

We could also go to the Schaumburg Hooters if that works better.

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 4:25pm

We could also go to the Schaumburg Hooters if that works better.

right around the corner from office. I guess I can just crash here afterwards then.

There's also the O'hare location right off of the CTA Blue Line and I-90/I-294

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 5:25pm
Whatever is easiest for you Magic?? Those are all the same for me.. Schaumburg one used to have some real nice "Hooters" at one time.. The one at Ohare id so so..

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 6:44pm
I'm All In! Any idea on what day? 12/28 is about the only date that won't work for me.
Maybe we can even get a guest appearance from Brownie, he may be in town that week.

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 8:54pm
How about 12-26 tuesday night, does Schaumburg help you northern guys out? After work I guess maybe 5 or 6:00. Somebody should check in with Gotwake and PLBC.

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2006 at 9:40pm
Schaumburg is much better for me. That's the only night that will work for me that week.

Posted By: searider
Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 6:58am
Anyone done business with this outfit?

http://www.cylinder-heads.com/ - Clearwater Cylinder Head

-------------
Marc

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/mjconn42/Southwind20/?action=view¤t=13e61aa7.pbw" rel="nofollow - 84 Southwind

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 11:43am
maybe you can use that old beer to verify that the gt-40p heads have a 64cc chamber just like the other gt-40 heads, instead of the miss quoted spec given which is for the D0Oe heads, but what the hell.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 11:56am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

maybe you can use that old beer to verify that the gt-40p heads have a 64cc chamber just like the other gt-40 heads, instead of the miss quoted spec given which is for the D0Oe heads, but what the hell.

79, They state 60cc for the gt40P.

-------------

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:04pm
79, glad to have you back. The p's have 59cc chambers. Here's a good article: http://www.stangpro.com/html/articles/gt40p_files/gt40p1.htm - Stangpro

-------------

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:30pm

Will BKH be flying in?

Unfortunately, I can't make this one, but I will be flying into Chicago on January 14 and staying for a few days. Beers are on me. You think I could get a few of you guys to come out on Sunday or Monday night?

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:46pm

How about 12-26 tuesday night, does Schaumburg help you northern guys out? After work I guess maybe 5 or 6:00. Somebody should check in with Gotwake and PLBC.

Sounds good,,,, 6:00 in Schaumburg on the 26th...
Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Beers are on me. You think I could get a few of you guys to come out on Sunday or Monday night?

BKH

'nuff said.

I'm penciling in 12/26 right now. Moj', you are right on with the quality of O'Hare v. Schaumburg. The best Hooters I've been to is Hamilton ON.

-------------

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 2:20pm

I'm penciling in 12/26 right now. Moj', you are right on with the quality of O'Hare v. Schaumburg. The best Hooters I've been to is Hamilton ON.

Must be the mall traffic doh'... Best one Ive seen was in Denver or Dallas.. Can't remember, it's not like I really go to those places or anything !!! See you there dude .. hahaha

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 3:45pm

Will BKH be flying in?

Unfortunately, I can't make this one, but I will be flying into Chicago on January 14 and staying for a few days. Beers are on me. You think I could get a few of you guys to come out on Sunday or Monday night?

BKH

I'm in.

-------------

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 7:12pm

Will BKH be flying in?

BKH

I'm in.

Count me in. Glenview?

Date Posted: December-14-2006 at 9:58pm
You guys are makin' me jealous.

BKH: When are you gonna "fly in" to central Florida? I know you must have biz there but it is so much nicer down here this time of year.

79: Where ya been? Glad to see ya postin'.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: December-15-2006 at 12:12pm
12/26 in. I even get to cart Quinner's a$$ home.

BKH, I am good for Sunday or Monday night (14-15). I feel honored, you flying all this way for my birthday.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5164&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 99

Date Posted: December-15-2006 at 12:22pm
PLBC,

Quinner doesn't have to worry about driving eh, sounds like we're in for some trouble.

-------------

Date Posted: December-15-2006 at 2:38pm

Should work out perfect Alan, grab a six pack for the train out to Schaumburg, chug more at hooters then pa$$ out for the ride home!

Hopefully Kurt will at least slow down this time when he drops me off.

BKH, how about Monday at the Glenview House again?

Date Posted: December-15-2006 at 3:09pm
I'll slow down if you promise not to vomit.

That BBQ chicken pizza at Glenview House was scrumtous.

-------------

Date Posted: December-15-2006 at 3:48pm
Hell, Brownie will be singing at the end of the night LOL...

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-15-2006 at 11:10pm
      I was out at the bar tonight for a Christmas party,got talking to a few ladies here on business from the Chicago area,and mentioned the PLBC boys.They said,"does that stand for 'Powers Lake Boat Club'?"....I said HMMMM.....

So are you guys famous,or notorious?Or is that the same thing out there?

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: December-16-2006 at 2:03am
Glenview house is fine with me. Had a pretty good time there last trip. However, I'm staying in Skokie. Is there anything near
Skokie? Is Skokie more/less convenient?

If Monday's good that's fine by me.

If it's Kurt's birthday, I guess we'll need to throw in a shot or two to go with those beers. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-16-2006 at 7:21pm
26 on the 16th

I'll see if there is anything hoppin in Skokie.

-------------

Date Posted: December-16-2006 at 7:29pm
Well then,we should definitely do the 15th so we can turn you over to the PLBC on the 16th, well primed. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-17-2006 at 5:04pm
Mike, bars are the best place to find PLBC fans. Next issue, were these girls fine representations of the midwest?

-------------

Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: December-18-2006 at 1:11pm
The Chicago Boat Show is January 17-21. BKH, are you still going to be there? Anyone else? The wife and I will be going to that one day. Maybe we can work something out then? I'd love to get together with you guys again.

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Date Posted: December-18-2006 at 1:45pm
PLBC in attendance the 20th. Going to try to drag Joel out to the wakeboarding party afterwards.

-------------

Date Posted: December-18-2006 at 2:01pm
Thanks Rob. I'm in meetings the 17th and 18th, and heading home the eveining of the 19th. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-18-2006 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

The Chicago Boat Show is January 17-21. BKH, are you still going to be there? Anyone else? The wife and I will be going to that one day. Maybe we can work something out then? I'd love to get together with you guys again.

Rob

Rob,
I'm sure me and the fam- will be out for the event.. Let me know what day you're think of?? It would be great to look over what I can't afford with some friends...

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: December-18-2006 at 4:28pm

Rob,
I'm sure me and the fam- will be out for the event.. Let me know what day you're think of?? It would be great to look over what I can't afford with some friends...

Moj'

I think the wife and I are planning on being "sick" the 19th. It's way too crowded on the weekends. And you're right, nothing like looking at a bunch of stuff you can't afford.

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Date Posted: December-18-2006 at 4:36pm
Rob, if you wait until ~5/6 pm it's really not bad.

-------------

Date Posted: December-18-2006 at 5:16pm
Yeah, it's not bad during the evenings, but I'm sure you want to get in early and back on the road.. If you decide to come out Sat or Sun, we'll hook up with ya Rob.. (saving vaca days for summer)

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-18-2006 at 7:25pm

Mike, bars are the best place to find PLBC fans. Next issue, were these girls fine representations of the midwest?

There was three of them.....
,not that I was really looking,as I'm a happily married man.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:45am
Rob,

I typically hit it Saturday right when they open in the AM, usually does not get busy until around noon.

Posted By: Gotwake
Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 12:43pm
Did someone mention beer? HECK YES I'M IN! Prolly late, but IN! Up for the boat show as well, I'll be there (In the "other" inboard booth)throughout most of the show.
PLBC/Quinner. You missed our photoshoot for our upcoming website... There is going to be a retake in Jan-Feb...

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1199&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=2005&yrend=2005 - 2005 Sante

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 12:50pm
By the way...thread has beeen way hijacked.

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1199&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=2005&yrend=2005 - 2005 Sante

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Gotwake Gotwake wrote:

Like HW said, they always end up with beer or babes. I guess that's not such a bad thing.

-------------

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 3:33pm
Magic,
Was Tuesday the 26th the day in Schaumburg then?? Don't know if I really read any confirmation??? Don't want to miss Hollywood and PLBC's ineraction with the orange, cladly dressed boobalas... Cla$$ic ...

Moj

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Gotwake Gotwake wrote:

Wholly schnikees does the one in blue have a large set of floation devices...... Nicely done GW !!!

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 3:42pm
Speaking of Hooters, that blonde's face looks familiar, but the body doesn't. Maybe it's the way she's bending. Am I right Ken?

Moj', I don't spit much/any game at Hooters. Those girls get hit on all day I don't want to be cla$$ified as just another scumbag even if I am. Strip clubs though, different rules.

I'll let quinner do the talking, and swoop in at the end for the kill!

-------------

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 4:02pm
Hahaha, I don't blame ya HW !!! Is Brownie com'n??? No that would be fun to watch hahaha...

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 5:18pm
Mojo, Tuesday the 26th, day after xmas in Schaumburg 6:00.

What the Hell's a Schnikkeee?

-------------

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 5:48pm

What the Hell's a Schnikkeee?

Remember Chris Farley from SNL ????? LOL..
OK Tuesday...

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 8:37pm
Too bad computers don't have "Scratch and Sniff".

Date Posted: December-19-2006 at 8:45pm
I've gotta threadjack my thread back, heads came in today yeehaa. Time to start having some fun.

-------------

Date Posted: December-20-2006 at 9:03am
Excellent Magic... Let's give the heater and the fridge a workout and come by for a motor hop up... Xmas morning OK??

Moj

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-20-2006 at 9:04am

Speaking of Hooters, that blonde's face looks familiar, but the body doesn't. Maybe it's the way she's bending. Am I right Ken?

You are correct (Crystal Lake Hooters) - "Flotation devices"(although you can't really tell in the photo) are a new addition and are fantastic.

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 6:59am
Allen for sh*ts and giggles you should cc the chambers on those new heads before you mount them that way you know exactly what it is, no guessing involved that way.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 8:29am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Allen for sh*ts and giggles you should cc the chambers on those new heads before you mount them that way you know exactly what it is, no guessing involved that way.

Chris, I'd be glad to do it but the only CC I know anything about is Canadian Club. If you can give me an easy how to I'll give it a try so we can get a real answer to the mystery.

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 11:14am
Get a measuring device in CCs (beaker or flask) fill it to known amount above what believed volume of heads are. Fill chambers, subtract remaining fluid, Viola!

or something like that, Chris will tell you a better or more precise way.

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 12:33pm
Measuring device = Shot Gla$$
Fluid = Canadian Club

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Get a measuring device in CCs (beaker or flask) fill it to known amount above what believed volume of heads are. Fill chambers, subtract remaining fluid, Viola!

or something like that, Chris will tell you a better or more precise way.

So it's done with the heads off the engine upside down on a bench. Too simple, that's why I had no idea.

Quinner, how many CC's in a shot gla$$?.

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 3:46pm
level the heads with the chambers facing up. four bolts with nuts and washers on them work well. Just screw down the nut all the way down on the threads then place a washer on top of it then set the heads on top. Now you have jack screws on all four conners to level the head. Get a syringe at the drug store or off your local junky your choice, it will have calibrations on the side in cc's fill it with water, get the air out of it and line it up on one of the marks so that you know what the volume of water is in the syringe, then squirt it in to on chamber slowly, you need to have the plug in and tightened or it will leak. keep adding water too the chamber in smaller incruments as it starts to get to the top of the chamber, when it breaks over the edge of the chamber then you should be able to read on the syringe how much is left subtract that from what you started with and you have the volume in the chamber.

using a small syringe with finer calibrations vs a larger one, so say a 10-20cc syringe filled severals times is going to be more acurate then a 100cc syringe. or a compination off both, using the small one at the end to get a better resultant.

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 4:04pm
Will the surface tension of the water allow it to "bubble" over the height of the deck?

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 4:20pm
Yes.

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 4:27pm
that is if you add it slow enough but you should be able to see when it is level with the top, then see it bubble up due to surface tension and know to stop, well if you have common sence that is. It will be close enough for all practical purposes, the main thing is the size of syringe and being able to add small amounts rather than larger amounts at a time.

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 4:32pm
shot of CC 1.5 oz = 44.3 cc's

so that would be about a 2 oz shot to fill the chambers if they are 59cc

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 5:01pm
Common sense huh, now your pushing it.

The syringe thing might work for me, I used to have to give my old Rottie insulin shots for diabetes every morning and may have a syringe left around.

You guys will be the first to know but don't hold your breath waiting.

-------------

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: December-21-2006 at 8:20pm
The method I most observed was similar to 79's with the syringe, but a piece of plexigla$$ was/is placed over the top of the chamber with a needle-sized hole drilled in it. This takes care of "bubble" effect.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: December-22-2006 at 8:33am
Reid, this is the way i have done it,even without the plexi,there is a large difference between 59cc and 63cc. none of those heads were spot on as to displacment. Quality control not a big issue......... boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: December-22-2006 at 7:55pm
10-4 Doc. Many of the mfrs have listed as much as a 3-5cc range when listing the chamber size on a specific head, and then list one single number as either an avg or nominal fig.

Side Note: Personally, and this is just from several engines we have, I'm big on the higher comp in our engines with these favorable power to weigh ratios. I don't know that I'd want 10+:1 comp in a cruiser under a continuously heavy load, but in several we've a$$embled with 10:5 and greater (theoretical/advertised based on piston and head combo of Keith Black KB-116 domed pistons and D0OE-60cc 351 heads) the results seem to speak for themselves with no knock or detonation even with aggressive timing and torque and acceleration is incredible. Not having another explanation, I attribute it to a continuous flow of cool water and thus the ability to maintain optimum engine temp. Elect ign doesn't hurt either I guess in terms of not fouling plugs and other issues a$$ociated with high CR's in vintage autos, esp when driving slow or heating up. Also, many of us use premium fuel when it's available whether it's required or not. Might as well take avantage of it. In essence, I'm not saying go build a 11:1 ski boat engine, but if you're looking at new heads which just might raise your CR to the 10+:1 range, don't worry about it and enjoy the power, if that's what you're after.

We're pulling into Mr.Jbears neighborhood next Tuesday, the 26th, and hopefully towing down our old beater testbed '69 Mustang so that he and whoever can take a fun testimonial mid-50s mph ride. It's the next closest thing to Bill Burgess' nitrous rocket. SS-201 Bill, you out there? I'm also looking forward to planting my butt in jbear's trophy winner. I'm stoked. If you're in the neighborhood, hook up with us please.    

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Date Posted: December-26-2006 at 8:31am

Sounds good,,,, 6:00 in Schaumburg on the 26th...
Moj'

Is this still a go people?

Date Posted: December-26-2006 at 8:46am
I'll be there.

-------------

Date Posted: December-26-2006 at 10:15am
Booby's and Beer, I will be there!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: December-26-2006 at 10:44am
Good to go. I'll be there between 5-6 depending on traffic .

-------------

Print Page | Close Window