Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5647
Printed Date: September-25-2024 at 12:24pm

Topic: stereo installs........
Posted By: Guests
Subject: stereo installs........
Date Posted: January-31-2007 at 9:56pm
guys looking for someone who can isnstall stereo equip. in ohio..........i have a 94 ski nautique. im hooking up 4 new polk db 650s....i have a kenwood 45x4 headunit.....i also have a brandnew never been used marine battery plus new boat batt. im looking to purchase a blaupunkt tha275 thin series amp to power my polks......install a ma audio m1889i mono block amp to power a power acoustik lt480 12" subwoofer............iwould like to pay someone who has exp. with this type of setup....located in chippewa lake ohio..

Replies:
Posted By: SKI79PA
Date Posted: February-01-2007 at 12:51am
Ryan,
I am about an hour and a half away from you. If you would like to drive out here i would be will to do the work. I used to run a car audio shop so i can find my way around the install bay. I did my first nautique it was a 1994 ski. You can put 2 12 in subs under the spotter seat I had 2 MB quart subs. All alpine 6.5 and mtx amps. Did your boat come with a factory system in it ?             Preston

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/1532/internet-explorer-wallpaper.jpg - My 79 Nautique

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: February-01-2007 at 2:41pm
Ryan,

I could come out there and help you set it up.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: February-01-2007 at 3:14pm
Ryan,
I got the perfect guy for you, he owns sound effects up here in Brunswick, let me know if your interested, he owes me some favors

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: February-01-2007 at 7:36pm
guys thanks for the offers...yes it does have a factory stereo...........eric-what kind of money ami looking at?......randy and preston.......depending on what kind of coin sound effects is charging, i may just let them mess with it.....then again i can get the garage warm with a heater overnight and we could go to town on it one day........thanks agin........

Date Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:21pm
Ryan,

If you get all the wire, etc. you are going to need, and warm up the garage, I will come out and set it up for you. I could come out this weekend or sometime next week. I have done a lot of sound systems. I used to install\maintain sound systems in all the Damon's and BW3's and other bars and such. I know my s*$T about this stuff and do quality work. Give me a call 330-704-6334 or send me an email rwise@neo.rr.com.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:28am
sounds like randy'S the guy, you cant deny a man a weekend pa$$, you better have some cold old milwaukee's ready

-------------

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:46am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you cant deny a man a weekend pa$$, you better have some cold old milwaukee's ready

come on Eric no sh*t beer when someone else is doing the work, they deserve a quality beer not piss water.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: February-02-2007 at 5:26pm
randy-the job is yours..........this weekend is horrible as is the next............sothe weekend after that should be ok......i will let you know as that comes closer.............you can let me know a time, saturadays better imo just incase we need something extra..........what gauge feet etc for wiring should i use.....also have to buy a fuse block?......should i buy a perko swtich, since i have two batteries?.....any ideas would be appreciated........i dont drink cheap beer myself, so i wouldnt expect you too!.......later on in the week we can figure out some details.........thanks again everyone for the offers and help!

Date Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:50pm
Ryan,

We can put aside an upcoming Saturday. Give me a list of everything you have, with model numbers, so I can look at what we are dealing with. then we can figure what gauge wire you will need etc.. You may want to get a couple distribution blocks, but I doubt you will need a fuse block, most equipment today has fuses built in. You do want a main fuse at the battery. As far as the two batteries, I'm not sure that you will actually need two batteries if you only have one or two amps. Maybe someone else can chime in on this, since I am not too familiar with boat set ups. Probably not a bad idea if you run it for a long time with the engine off... Where will the other battery be located? (how close to the existing Battery?) If you do go with two batteries you could use a perko switch or just hook them in parallel. again maybe someone with experience in this situation will chime in with advice...

We will want to start early and have everything we need in advance... we can iron out the details later.

and no cheap beer...

-------------

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:21pm
Don't you guys know that Old Milwaukee was voted "America's Best Tasting Beer"? At least that is what they said on tv. That was my beer of choice until a buddy switched me to Mich Ultra.

Eric; Are you in Brunswick? I grew up in Strongsville.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:34pm
Randy its a very good idea to run two batt. set up with a Perko two batt switch.It is hard to get a jump start in the middle of the lake.By running 2 group 24 deep cycle batts ,you are only a little heavier than 1 group 27.
This isolates batt.#1 from batt.#2 ,and check the combined draw of all stereo equipment,under high volume it will suprise you how many amps it really draws.
this is a good excuse to have the two batt. setup.............. boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 7:28am
79 you aint lyin, aint nothing worse then giving a guy a days labor and he feeds ya cheap beer
John, my shops in Brunswick, I live in Aurora Shores

Boat doc, altenator?
Ryan, Randy let me know if you need a cozy place to work... I want to get in on some of that expensive beer action, seriously the offers open

-------------

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 9:43am
eric are you talking about shop in brunswick?....i take it its heated?........up to you guys, it would be warmer there then inside a garage im sure........again i can stick a heater in there to try and get it to warm up..... i could always compensate ya eric with some free beers and lunch also...........thanks for the offer!

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 12:15pm
Saturdays are government days even though i poked at BFN's boat, today my uncles here putting a washer/dryer in his motor home and our tow truck drivers doing his brakes on the other side,
Id be more than happy to have you guys, i might even help, call me and let me know

eric

-------------

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 2:01pm
Jbear, That is a perfect example of why you shouldn't believe everything you hear on TV.
Hope you guys are alright after that storm. looked like it went through your area.

boat dr, Your right, probably a good idea to have the two battery set up with the switch. since we are going to be using the stereo a lot without the engine running. Makes sense. Now I am going to have get another battery and a switch. Where is a good location to install the second battery? I would guess as close to the existing battery as possible. Where do you recommend mounting the switch? if you mount it near the dash you would have to run a lot of 4 gauge wire... would a bigger alternator be in order?

Ryan, if it is going to be as cold as today we may want to take Eric up on his offer... if you have a little kerosene heater like mine, it will be damn near worthless in this cold and wire can be hard to work with when it's cold. This could be a NE Ohio mini-reunion, with a purpose! sounds like fun! let me know what exactly we are going to be using so I can get an idea of what we will need. I'll put together a list.

-------------

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:08pm
guys.........i have ordered ..

blaupunkt tha275 amp- 4 ohms 75 watts x2
                      2 ohms 120wattsx2...this will be powering my polk audio 650'.

ma audio m1889i monoblock-rms 4 ohms400x2 channel
                          rms 2 ohms800x1 channel

1 12" audiobahn eternal subwoofer
1 sealed box.............i have two new marine batts sitting in my basement....one for the boat one as a backup that was never used last summer....my problem now is that the audiobahn subwoofer and blaupunkt amp are backordered!.......so thats what im dealing with

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:25pm
you may want to check your current amp rating on your altenator, if you draw to many amps you'll full field the altenator and burn it up

-------------

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:36pm
Ryan,

Why are you ordering a two channel amp when you have 4 speakers? are you concerned that these are not marine amps? I would definitely make sure that the subwoofer is intended for marine use.i just looked at it real quick and it doesn't look like it would be a good choice for around the water IMO (Cellulose Fiber Cone and foam surround. This stuff will end up getting wet.

-------------

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 8:48pm
randy-i nkow sh*t about this stuff...my buddy says i need a two channel amp for my insides and hre tried to match it up!......marine amps, i hear that a marine amp is not even close to being as effiecent powerful etc as a 'regular" amp.....looking at other setups i see few marine amps!............subwwofer, yes it is a concern to me......buddy says its fine as long you dont expose it to actually water, and said cover ity everynight with a towel.........im basically trying to put together a good system for under 500............i know that audiobahn FUc^!^ pounds...........i orginally wanted the polk db 12" sub but he says it wont do sh*t to be honest............ideas?????????.randy-isnt the best way to get bang for your buck when it comes to wattage........2 on the left channel 2 on the right channel............load will be 2 ohms on each cannel instead of four........

Posted By: ryansbuddy
Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 10:39pm
Hey this is ryan's buddy that's helping him pick out the equipment. I know car audio in and out, but have zero experience with marine applications so you understand where I'm coming from.

To explain the equip choices so far: (Skip if you don't care)
-----------------------------------------------
Ryan won't be doing any 5.1 or other setups that require the extra expense of a 4+ channel amp. (His audio is only 2 channels, left and right, so loading two on each channel @ 2 ohms total will give him the same wattage per speaker as a 4 channel amp costing twice as much or more)

The subwoofer has not and has yet to be picked out... that was a temporary sub I told ryan would be in the ballpark of wattage handling he would need if he wanted to go with a dual 4ohm voice coil, single sub. ( http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6492.html - Here's another one in the ballpark )

Personally I think he'd be better off going with two single voice coil subs (or two dual 2ohm voice coils in series then paralleled together etc) that are rated around 400w rms (Like http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7817.html - Kappa Perfect 12s VQ's ) to match the MA mono amp. (Which was an insane deal, why we're picking out the subs based on the amp instead of visa versa) He could run a dual 2ohm voice coil sub in series or a single voice coil speaker solo, but this would be using half of his system's potential :)

Anyways, he's not sure if he'll have the space for two 12's and I'm pretty sure isometric mounting of subs is a marine no-no since the basket and connectors of one of them would be exposed.

Oh and the buddy telling him using a regular sub is fine and such is another buddy, not me. What Ryan's said he's been told so far is the cone and surround just needs to be non porous like polypropylene.
-----------------------------------------------

Anyways these are my questions for selecting Ryan's equipment:

1.) Surely a plain plywood box isn't suitable for marine use, so what is the cheapest option that is still safe for an enclosure? (I'm not subscribing to Ryan's "it won't get wet" theory :P)

2.) Besides non-porous cone and surround, there are other major differences I see between the performance ratings of marine and auto speakers. Are the voice-coils water shielded/air enclosed thus why on average they can handle far less wattage? Are terminals waterproof? etc (what else besides cone and surround make a speaker "marine"?)

3.) With the answers for 1 and 2 in hand, can you use a regular sub if your marine enclosure is protective enough? And if Ryan's going with a cheap enclosure is he then limited only to marine subs?

I don't want to point Ryan towards something that will take a poop if it gets wet, why originally I was only looking at marine subs. But he's hearing from a lot of people that you can run regular subs fine, but I'm not hearing what the conditions of that are. (For instance "You can drill holes in your hull all day and you won't sink" isn't the same without the part about "as long as you don't drive it on water" hehe)

Anyways sorry for the long post, but trying to catch you guys up to speed since in the end you will be hearing about it more than I will ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah and forgot to ask if getting him a capacitor would be necessary, or just another battery instead, etc cause a boat doesn't exactly run/idle like a car... I'm pretty sure he'd have a few minutes tops with his system at full blast before he'd be paddling in a dead boat, so he'd have to idle if he wants to bump for the ladies, and without a capacitor, I'm thinking even on a boat at idle rpm would cause his alternator to give him the finger and shoot itself...

Date Posted: February-03-2007 at 10:46pm
.........wow...........and all iwant is a good pounding system..............randy help!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: February-04-2007 at 7:50am
In my 94 ski i had 4 alpine marine 6.5 speakers. 2 MBquart Subs and all MTX amps. The subs were shot after season one baskets were rusted. They still played but looked crappy. To awnser the question i woulds buy a 4ch amp for the highs beacuse 2ohm is really going to work that amp. On A nice hot day it will start going into thermal protection or blow a up.Where are you buying the stuff from. I still can buy at dealer cost from the shop that i used to run. They sell JL audio Kenwood Alpine MBQuart MTX Rockford Clarion . So if their is some thing that u need i can get it and send it to you . I would ad a dual battery to the system. No Cap your Alt will work double time try to charge that cap . And the battery will go dead when the boat is turned off. If i can help in any way let me know. Like said before i am an hour and 45 from you . we have huge warehouses with heated floors so working in the winter is not to bad.   

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/1532/internet-explorer-wallpaper.jpg - My 79 Nautique

Date Posted: February-04-2007 at 7:58am
You cna use 3/4 MDF and coat it in Fibergla$$ resin. Just brush it on the box inside and out . As for the space issue i put 2 12 in woffers under the pa$$ seat useing the seat as part of the box it was really cool and sounded great we had to put a spacer munder the seat to keep it up about 1.5 in off the gound. The only thing in my boat marine was the apline speakers. I hid the amps up high infront of the driver. I have seen a few other post on installs on planetnautique that were really nice i will try to find the pics

-------------

Date Posted: February-04-2007 at 8:29am
here is a pic of a sub install

-------------

Date Posted: February-04-2007 at 9:30am
i think i only want to go with one 12" sub due to lack of space.........i need to be able to store lifevest anchors towels tools etc up in the nose of the boat........i think 2 12" would close that off unless someone was able to make a custom box like the one in the pic, but now your talking more money........my limit is 500.....yes i understand thats not much but i know it can be done....already have 2 batts. just need to buy a perko.........

Date Posted: February-04-2007 at 9:37am
you could build that box ur self . Roughly about 45 dollars in wood and 1hr of time all u need is one sheet of 3/4 mdf and carpet. Do you have a table saw ? Then when you get your sub fig out the air space and build the box. You limit is 500 for the install or for the entire job ??

-------------

Date Posted: February-04-2007 at 10:19am
speakers amps etc..............not including labor.............no time to make a box...rather just buy one 12' box........

Posted By: BigAir
Date Posted: February-04-2007 at 8:05pm
I built my box out of 3/4 inch plywood. Not marine grade, just good void free wood. I didn't coat it with resin, but I did coat it with black bedliner spray. Trust me, that stuff is tough. The sub I'm using is made by Elemental designs 13OV2 with 2 - 4 ohm voice coils. I can't remember the actual volume, but it's pretty close to what ED recommends. I tune the box to 28 hz with 2 - 3" ports. With less than 400 watts, the thing sounds insane. I believe it's because of the box design and where it's installed. I have it all the way up in front of my 89 Ski Nautique. The sub fires up while the ports fire towards the back of the boat. It's very sheltered and never got wet at all.   The only hard part was building such an odd shape box and then measuring it's volume. I'll take pictures and post them later. If I did it again, the only thing that I would do different would be to go with a quad 1 ohm voice coil sub.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=237&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - My 1989 reverse gel coat Ski Nautique

Date Posted: February-05-2007 at 10:57am
Ryan,

Lots of good information coming in here. Let me add my .02...

IMHO, I would keep it simple for now. especially If you only have a $500 dollar budget. keep in mind that good wire and connectors will cost you too. You can always add on upgrades later. Take your time choosing your equipment, listen to what others have tried. If I were you, I would skip the amp for the 6.5 polks for now, this is something that can be added later easily. Put your $$ into your subs, wiring, and head unit. I agree with SkiPA on the 4channel amp, running those at 2ohms is really going to be pushing that amp to it's limits... Do it right the first time... keep in mind that you will be running this stuff a lot with the engine off, if you get too many big amps you will need two or more batteries on each side of that perko switch. how much space do you want to commit to your stereo equipment? take your time and look at what others have done and what worked or didn't work for them. I would get a marine sub. marine speakers are made with poly or carbon cones and usually rubber surrounds they have plated connectors and the baskets are non-corrosive and will not rust. Keep in mind that not only will this stuff be splashed with water occasionally, it will be in a very hot, moist environment, We have a few months before it gets warm enough to hit the water... take your time and research this stuff. The polk 6.5 are marine grade, so you are good there. why not get the Polk sub to match the speakers? Don't get too caught up in the numbers (watts). Go with quality stuff that will last.

-------------

Date Posted: February-05-2007 at 11:17am
I took a picture of the inside of the Kenwood head unit that I removed from my boat. This was not a marine unit. It was installed at the marina where my buddy bought the boat. He told me he paid $900.00 for this system in '93. The speakers were marine but the surrounds had fallen apart anyway from the exposure to the sun.

this was in a "protective case" in the dash. it did hold up for about 12 years...

Ryan, If you do go with non-marine amps, be sure that the chasis and hardware is not going to rust...

-------------

Date Posted: February-05-2007 at 12:05pm
Ryan ,When i install a system in a boat i ask only 2 questions,Do you want to do it right,Or do you want to go cheap?
The answer cannot be yes to both questions...
If you go cheap buy a head unit from Waay World,it will last atleast one year,Kinda like a Timex,use and dispose.
Buy the best your wallet can afford,head unit,and leave the amps till later,same for the sub ,buy one for a car and just figure you are renting,then when it smokes you ain't out anything....Don't Be Penny Wise And Dollar Foolish...........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-05-2007 at 6:09pm
randy boat dr.........yesi have roughly 500 for the equipment not counting a perko wires etc labor.........so i guess im doing it cheap, but i know it can be done.........space is a concern asi posted before...........would love to push 2 12" or 2-10" but on my 94 cb im limited on room.....so that said i think id like to go with one 12" in either a ported or sealed box.....i understand its not gonna be devastating ba$$ or the best quality, and only gonna last 4-5 years......thats moree than plenty!!!!!by then i will have a newer boat(hopefully!).....i already have 4 new polk db650 insides, two new marine batts, and a new marine kenwood headunit 45x4 amps........how important is marine amps?.........i see alot of people(most) running non-marine amps and subs...yes i have been doing a little homework and found out most people are spending more than id ever spend! 1500++ that being said heres my idea......
polk audio db series 12"-80.00...or
polk audio momo 12" sub-100.00
ported or sealed box 25.00-30.00
ma audio ma1889i amp mnoblock 800 watts rms-2 ohms 400 watts -4 ohms..100.00
.....and a 2 channel blaupunkt tha2125 amp to power my insides....total.......90.00..thatsonly roughly 320 bucks.......so i theres still money to upgrade 2 a four channel amp for my insides, and maybe even 2 marine amps.....i see they go for 120-160 in my case......im looking at a website called sonic electronix.........thank you guys for all the input.....

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 12:07am
Ryan,
Why don't you put the cd player and 4 polks in. Listen to it and see what you think. The only problem with not amping your highs is that when you are boating your not going to hear it.only when your just chillin. I can get you amps subs wires any thing you would like at cost ... I think u should build a box like the one i posted in the pic.no i did not build it .

-------------

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 2:08am
Boat Dr is right on the money. Do it right the first time. I wouldn't put anything together with th intention of it only lasting 4 or 5 years. I agree 100% with SkiPA. use what you have for now and you can always upgrade easily later. I'm using my head unit (52Wx4)to power the same Polk speakers you have. I am blown away by how these things sound! I was planning to add an amp to power them at a later date but honestly after reading all the input from SkiPA, Boat Dr and the rest I am somewhat concerned about how much more power would be needed. I want to still be able to run the stereo with the engine off for a reasonable amount of time. I don't want any more than two batteries on board. I need to have room to store stuff. The only thing I will change on my set up is replacing th P.O.S 8" powered Bazooka, but when I do I probably won't over do it and will look for something efficient. I would rather have a system with good tight ba$$ that sounds good and doesn't require 16 batteries. Maybe on a pontoon...

with all that said this is my opinion take it for what it's worth.

1. Buy Marine stuff for your boat. This stuff is engineered for the boat environment circuit board are coated, terminals are gold plated, chasis and baskets will not rust, etc. etc.

2. An off the shelf subwoofer enclosure will not hold up for more than one season and maybe not even that. These things are made from fiber board. I don't think they will hold up around the water. A plain plywood box would work better.

3. Do what you can with what you have. You can always add stuff on later. We can put it together with this in mind.

4. Take your time shopping. research this stuff and Listen to what other people with experience tell you. Froogle is a great tool for comparing prices once you know what you want.

-------------

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 4:53pm
itts all great advice, but again i would never put more than what im willing to put itnto it now 500 for sub box 2 amps.........i think with going with what i described above will be fine......for 25 a box i can buy one a year...i guess what im trying to say is im gonna go against what you guys are telling me to do for the simple fact of money........i want good ba$$ for cheap.....i spendt less than 500 for my car and it was devastating.......you could hear it a mile down the road etc...regardless if i go with the above equipment are you still willing to help.......randy-i can get a marine sub and 2 amps for under 500 easily.....box, ill just keep buying one a year if they dont last..........thanks again guys

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:10pm
Ryan,

Sure, I will still help you. I would still urge you to choose at least a marine sub. The one with the "cellulose fiber" (paper) cone is not going to hold up for long IMO.

-------------

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:19pm
All this talk of subs in wet places got me thinking about materials to build a sub box. Has anyone ever used that "plastic wood" stuff they use to make decking, park benches, picnic tables, etc.. You know the stuff made out of recycled plastic. I think this stuff would make a great sub box, you could use stainless steel screws to a$$emble it, and cover it with marine carpet. I know Home Depot sells the planks for decking but I have never seen sheets of it, but figure they must make them...

-------------

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:13pm
ok ok....im done looking ...ithink.......heres what i came up with.tell me what you think

12" polk db marine sub-75.00 shipped

box- 35.00

clarion 4 channel apx480 marine amp. 180.00
shipped..will power 4 polk db650 insides

bazooka maa1500 monoblock amp to power the polk sub-145.00 shipped...total $435.00...sound good???......everything match up pretty good?...thanks, ryan

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:30pm
Ryan, did you purchase this stuff yet? we can call my buddy for possibly better prices if you want, he DOES owe me a favor, let me know if you and randy want to install at my shop, last Saturday wouldve been great, I waited till 8:30 at night for a guy from Virginia that was suppose to be there at 9:00am. man was i pissed. he called me at 7:00 that morning and said he got a late start and would be there at 2:00 then called at 3:00 and said he would be there in 2 more hours and then at 4:30 he called me and said he was in Morgantown West Virginia and will be there in 2 hours in which Morgantown is 4 hours away....but he finally showed

-------------

Posted By: Chopper
Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:37pm
SKI79PA,
That's a neat install you've done there.!

Did you use fibre gla$$ for the outer (hull side) wall.

What was the purpose for the spacers.?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1540&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 98 Ski

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:43pm
no i havent.........your shop sounds great(its coolddddddddd out)..wow yea that would piss me off.......the price just went up for that guy!!..i was ready to order and noticed a few things were on backorder until who knows when!....then randy,boat dr., skipa all decided it should be marine items..so im having my buddy look over the items in my last post.......
p.s. randy the sux box for 35 is mdf..what a deal ehh!! .....
eric- thats up to you, you might need that favor yourself!!....again im on a 500 budget-labor, beers, wires, etc!.........thanks again guys

Date Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:47pm
to clean up my last post...thats 500 for the sub sub box and the 2 amps.....i undertsnad im going to have wires dist. block fuses labor perko switch etc on top of that!

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 12:32am
Ryan, I think your making the right choice going with marine. it will protect your investment while adding value

I hope you haven't laid down the plastic yet, I shopped around and found some of the same stuff cheaper.

Check it out (click on links):

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=12378 - Bazooka ma1500 - $99.00 FREE SHIPPING!

http://gooddeals18.zoovy.com/product/APX480 - Clarion APX 480M $139.00

thats a great deal on that deal on that Sub @ $79. but that should save you about $85 bucks.

Maybe with the $ you save you can build a box for that sub.

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 12:45am
Ryan,

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard.

MDF+H2O=

-------------

Posted By: MaddMarxx
Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 1:06am
Dont use MDF it will fall apart in 2 weeks!!

Get some marine plywood and do it right!!

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 1:09am
I think we should take Eric up on his offer. I would like to meet him and maybe he can explain how to check my alignment. I'm still a little puzzled on that I will try to get a list of items we will need together tomorrow.

How far are is the Battery/Batteries away from the amps?

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 1:13am
It sounds like MM may be speaking from experience Ryan.

$35x2=$70

Like the wise Boat Dr said "Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish" or something like that...

Do it right from the start and you will get a lot more enjoyment out of it in the long run

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 1:20am
I have three amps that im not using that I will sell cheap!!

Alpine 2/3/4-model# 3527 ,it kicks a$$
rockford punch 45.2 sub amp (made in USA)
Jenson 100w x 4

Yes my MDF box turned into a sponge and fell apart in about two weeks, you can resin coat it but will still have small holes in it..

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 7:52am
Randy before hand, I'll find the section in my manual and post and take a picture of some feeler blades   eric

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 8:54am
Eric I figured out what the feeler gauge is. I'm just not sure where/how to use it

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:22am
dont worry randy it is very simple

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:38am
Resin coated MDF will hold up fine. I made speaker brackets that sit out in the middle of the boat that get sprayed, splashed and rained on and are still rock hard. I imagine your sub box will be up under the dash away from direct water contact anyhow, should be fine.

What's with all the periods...................?

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:51am
Hollywood,

Ryan is planning on using a pre-fab box made out of plain MDF. no resin coating.

Now if he took a pre-fab box and coated it with resin inside and out, it would probably be fine.

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 4:48pm
hollywood......bad habit,really cant tell ya why, just me thinking too fast?? randy- sure i can always resin coat it later(before i drop the boat in the water). i think im gonna go with the setup that i described above...thanks for finding that bazooka amp cheaper.the clarion one you found is a refurb, not too keen on that. id rather pay the 30-40 extra for a brand new one. the battery on my 94 is in the floor, same as yours?. i was going to add a perko and the extra marine battery i have sittin in my basement(new)..randy whats wrong with your alignment? beent drive shaft, or steering alignment?........(hollywood) see i did it again!!

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 10:33pm
Ryan,

Yeah, I know it's a refurb, but for if it worked out of the box, still had a good warranty, and the shipping was the same or less, I would probably go for it. But I'm a cheap a$$. You can just take the $$ you saved and take
Eric and I out to dinner

The Battery in my Sport is under the back seat, I think yours is in the front. Where will this second battery go??

I did some math, and it looks like you will be pulling 118 Amps max. Dude, Thats ALOT of power! You may seriously want to look at your alternator, I have a feeling your going to need to replace that too... And you will probably eventually want two more Batteries, So you can listen for more than 10 minutes with the engine off!
You will want to get:
  • 1- 125A fuse to install at the Battery.
  • (2) 8 gauge wire to run from from battery to distribution blocks.
  • (2) distribution blocks one for power one for ground.
  • (2) Battery Terminalinals to clamp wires to Battery you could get by with one if you ground to the engine block.
  • Are you going to replace the existing speaker wire? I would... go with 12 or 14 gauge.

I am sure I will think of more.
    oh, we will need 4 gauge wire for the second battery and terminal connectors.

I a researching how to set up these Perko switches, a little confusing. some of the have wires that run back to the alternator, so you can switch it between 1,2,and all while under way. Maybe someone with experience with the Perko switch set up will chime in.

Thats all for now.

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:15pm
Randy, i am not a electrical eng. nor have have i looked at the draw of all the components involved here,2 amps sub and the head unit, am i missing something? But that seems like a awful high draw for the stuff he listed, but maybe ?????
Perko#8503DP, this one has a feild wire to prevent damage to the alternator if you turn it off with the motor running.Don't see one that has any ref. to a distributer ,
Wire it as batt.#1 and Batt#2, Batt#2 powers the stereo,amps,etc. turn switch to ALL and it charges both Batts.When engine is stopped turn switch to Batt.#2 Blast till you drop or run out of beer. Turn switch to Batt.#1 start motor,flip to All and you charge up both batts,...............boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:35pm
Doh!

I meant to say alternator not distributer.

I am going to edit my post to clear this up..

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:52pm
Ok, all fixed, sorry that was probably confusing...

Ryan, BTW, Nothing wrong with my alignment,that I know of, just reading here that it should be checked periodically.

-------------

Date Posted: February-08-2007 at 12:07am
OK boat dr I have a couple questions:

1. Ryan's system could be pulling close to 120A when fully cranked. With two batteries to charge and this kind of draw, will his stock alternator be able to keep up or is he going to have to upgrade it?

2. Where would you mount the perko switch. I think in Ryans' boat the battery is in the front while in my boat it is in the back. Where do you think it would be best located in each boat??

3. Where exactly does this "field wire" attach to the alternator?

4. How many beers would Ryan be able to consume   while cranking his system, which is pulling close to 120A, with the engine off a$$uming Ryan can drink 1 beer every 10 minutes?

-------------

Date Posted: February-08-2007 at 8:49am
Randy,
1.I would say that system is going to pull about 30 to 40 amps, at that load, a large ,or 120 amp hr. batt.{trolling motor] will last 3 to 4 hrs.The stock alt. should be a 65 amp, more than enough.
2.Mount it close or in a place that is easy to access, mine is under the motor box,port stringer,raise the lid, turn the switch.
3.Do Not Turn The Switch With The Motor Running,with this said there is no reason to make any splices or mods to the existing wiring harness.
4.If indeed his amp draw is that high,and using a 120 amp hr. batt.he can jam for 1 hr. or 1 six pack,but this depends on a multitude of variables,type of beer,size of the can,10 or 12 oz.in the boat or in the water.The list goes on and on.
5. The best way to find out "RUN" time is hook it up and runner' till she dies.
then you have no OH SH#TS,the battery is dead on the water...........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-08-2007 at 11:35am
Dr,

I was looking at the www.perko.com - Perko website and I have a couple more questions.

1.The perko 8603DP is a "heavy Duty" while the 8503DP is "Medium Duty". Why do you recommend the medium duty over the heavy duty?

2. I copied this right from the instructions which can be found in .pdf (see below) on the Perko website:

So it seems you are able to switch between 1, 2, and all just not to off as long as you have the alternator field disconnect wired to the alternator. BTW, what would happen if you switched to off with the engine running? would that damage the alternator?

I am looking at my alternator and looking at the instructions
http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/catalog/images/Fig.%208603%20Inst.pdf - Perko Switch instructions
and I'm confused. I can not figure out which wire they are referring to on my alternator.Can you look at these instructions and make any sense of it?it seems pretty straight forward except for the alternator connection.

-------------

Date Posted: February-08-2007 at 6:04pm
randy i would put the extra battery up front, alongside the box and amps.the medium duty should be fine around 35-40. my buddy has a similiar setup to the one i would be setting up, in addition to tower speakers and he runs the cheap one, going back to a conversation we had this summer...speaking of summer im ready to go boarding!i just got excited! how much feet will i need randy.im thinking maybe if we do this on a staurady i could always run up to sound effex by erics shop if we need supplies forgotten. if you want you can call me @3304614602 if you have question or concerns..thanks again

Date Posted: February-08-2007 at 7:33pm
just got off the phone with boat dr.(bill).... seems like one hell of a guy!! it was a pleasure to chat with ya..randy we should only need 10 gauge wire for the amps(approx 30 ft). bill stated to not reuse existing wires, they are far too small gauge..go with 12 or 14 gauge..also stated to jump wires off the maps to the headunit so it get plenty of power so it will notr cut out..factory wiring is far too small.run rcas from head unit to the amps, go with one bib ground wire from motor and split it to the two amps..the power comes fro mthe perko switch? also   solder all connections when possible..i hope im explaining this right, there was a lot of info to remember!!!also bill stated that we shouldnt need dist. blocks, and go with breakers instead of fuses!!!..i hope this all makes sense!..thanks again guys-ryan

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:05am
Ryan,
I have a good bit of new 8ga wire and speaker wire. it all has yellow jacketing on it. Send me your address i can cut you off some and send it to you   

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 4:30pm
ski- i love the offer but im gonna need around 30 feet, yes may be excess but i want extra and no slices!!1........i figured this

30 feet 8 gauage for amps etc...
75 feet of 12 gauage for speakers
20 feet of 4 gauge........this should be plenty

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 5:01pm
Ryan,

Actually, you may want to use 2 gauge for the battery connections. I was looking at my battery cables and they are 2 gauge. sorry I was thinking they were 4.
14 gauge should be fine for the speakers. 60 feet should be plenty for the speakers.

Hey SkiPA, I may be interested in some of that 8 gauge. let me know how much you want for it.

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 5:08pm
Ryan,

I was looking at my battery cables today and they are actually 2 gauge. Sorry, I told you 4, you could probably use 4 gauge but I would keep all the battery cables the same gauge.
You may want to keep the wire color coded, especially the battery connections. You wouldn't want someone to come along later and get these mixed up! If you get the yellow wire from SkipA you could easily mark the ground with a black marker.

14 gauge should be fine for the speakers. You will need about 60 feet. thats about how much i used on mine anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 5:09pm
hey SkiPA

I may be interested in some of that 8 gauge. let me know how much you want for it.

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:05pm
Ryan,

I knew I was forgetting something. RCA cables. you will probably need 2 sets depending on your head unit. which kenwood head unit do you have?

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:29pm
do you guys think a reburb'd clarion ammp is ok..i could save thirty bucks!...is it worth it?..really dont know what refurb'd means but...

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:32pm
randy its a kenwood kdc-132 2006 year model..sonicelectronic.com sells them and gives all the good info..still debating on that amp..also i dont see 2 gauge wire, either 0 or 4 no 2!..thats stuff a lil pricey!

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:35pm
reading.....it says preamp/rca outputs one. thats not good is it? please tell me i dont have to buy a need headunit!

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 10:18pm
I have about 500 or so feet of 8ga power and 275 of speaker i think it is 12 and 14 ga . For a fellow correct craft owner no charge . This is all stuff left over from my car audio store. I can get u the 0 2 4 ga . Fig out what u need send me ur address. u can email it to me prestonf@protechsecuritysystems.com

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 10:43pm
Ryan,

We could use the RCA Preamp outputs for the sub amp and use the speaker level inputs on the clarion amp. In a perfect world you would have preamp outputs for front, rear and subwoofer. If you want to replace the head unit you could get the http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Marine-In-Dash-Player-CDXF50M/sem/rpsm/oid/148963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do - Sony CDX F50M on sale for $129.00 at Circuit City. This is the unit I have and I am really impressed with it. I was never a big fan of Sony car audio but this plays MP3 CD-R's and it has auxiliary inputs for an Ipod or satellite radio. for the price you can't beat it Crutchfield sells the same unit for $199.00

BTW, get good RCA cables with gold plated connectors

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 10:45pm
SkiPA,

Thanks for the offer. I will figure out what I am going to need and send you an email. Thanks again!

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:16pm
maybe a new head unit next year......skipa if you want some extra money id be willing to take off your hands 75 feet of 14 gauge, 30-40 feet of 8 gauge, and wwill also need20-30 feet of 2 gauge for batts...im more than willing to pay you instead of some guy on ebay!!..let me know when ya can so i can buy off eby or buy off you...thanks

randy-how many sets and what lengths?

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:20pm
Ryan,

Thats fine, we will just use the speaker level inputs on the amp...

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:32pm
one set

length from back of head unit to Bazooka amp. 15ft??? you know your boat and where you want to put everything. just keep in mind where you will have these wires tucked away at and take that into consideration on the length.

Preston, Can you get me some 2gauge also? I will figure out what I am going to need tomorrow. I need to get on the boat with a tape measure... You could put it in the same box as Ryan's to save on the shipping. I would want pay you something.

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:40pm
ryan,
I can get u the 2 ga but i will have to pay for it. I can get it at dealer cost. All of the other wire i have had in my basement from 3 years ago.    It all good wire if you don;t mind yellow jacketing.

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:45pm
I was pricing those Perko switches at West Marine. Wow, quite a difference in price between the Heavy duty and Medium Duty. $33 for the medium, $150 for the Heavy. I think I will be going with the medium. They have two different models one with the alternator field disconnect which, from what I understand, protects the alternator against damage from accidentally switching to "off".

I think I will get the one with the alternator field disconnect, I can see myself or some other dummy switching it to off and frying the alternator. Two batteries won't do you a whole lot of good with no alternator.

-------------

Date Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:56pm
SkiPA,

let me know what you can get the 2 gauge wire for   I will measure what I need tomorrow and let you know. Where are you at in PA? Maybe you could send over some of my favorite beer, Yuengling. I haven't had one for awhile. yum, yum Can't but it here in Ohio. Yet another reason this state really sucks...

-------------

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 12:00am
skipa thats fine..

ok fellas heres what i ordered so far:

1 12" polk db124dvc subwoofer
1 polk momo sub grill
1 bazooka ma1500 monoblock amp
1 boss inline fuse holder water proof gold terms
1 5 pack of 100 amp fuses
1 medium perko switch..not alt wire
1 clarion apx480 amp......i neeed a sealed box with around .88 cubic feet, no more than .92 cubic feet...having a hard time finding one that is fairly cheap...no i do not want to build one guys!....so i need rca's and a box...ill keep googlin!

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 12:06am
what about a crossover?

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 12:46am
built into the amps........not necessary imo

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 12:59am
found the exact match for the polk subwoofer. sealed box requires .88 cubic feet..
ported box 1.25??...im going to go with a sealed box due to the marine enviro..its a box made by subzone, that has .88 cubic feet, 60.00 shipped..my question is that it states it holds up to 12 awg wire spade lugs single or dual banna plugs. is this ok considering were going to be running 8 gauage to it?..would like to know before i order the box...thanks...almost there!

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 1:01am
oh ok ..just asking.

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 1:46am
ryan,
you must be getting drunk or tired. you are not running 8 gauge wire to the subwoofer. the 8gauge is for the power and ground. your using 14AWG wire or the 6.5 speakers. you could use the same for the sub. I have enough 12AWG I could bring for the sub if you want...

agree... no need for a crossover.

-------------

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 1:51am
hey ryan,

you could have stayed up and built a box for that subwoofer...

someone said they sprayed their box with bed liner. sounds like a cheap and easy way to go. you could even find a local shop that does this and ask them if they would hit your box while doing another job. probably be cheap...

-------------

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 8:35am
lol a little both, i sat in front of this damn computer for about 6 hours last night trying to save a few bucks!...randy that would be great, i think the bigger the wire to the sub box the better, correct?.......ok its all ordered, im crossing my fingers nothing is backordered!..good idea on the box, never thought of that...have a good weekend!..thanks for all the ideas and help from everyone..im excited to see how this thing will sound....thanks again, ryan

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 9:02am
Ryan,
The bed liner idea wasn't mine, I read that here. Sounds like it would work...I have the speaker wire for the sub covered for you. Did you end up going with the refurb Clarion? I think a refurb would be fine as long as it comes with the manufacturer warranty.

-------------

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 9:17am
RYAN,
A custom box is about 100 or so dollars . Do you have a local car audio shop? Just stop in and ask how much to build a custom box take that pic of the install i posted. Good luck

-------------

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 9:46am
randy yes it did, the number were adding up fast..says itfactory wrapped manuals wires etc...the box is already bought..its a solobaric sealed box 5/8 mdf construction with gold plated terms....has an inner volume of .83 and my sub needs .88..can always make a box seem louder with a handful of fill...too big and it doesnt get the lows and can end up with cone sepeeration...its all ordered..

1 12" polk db124dvc subwoofer
1 polk momo sub grill
1 bazooka ma1500 monoblock amp
1 boss inline fuse holder water proof gold terms
1 5 pack of 100 amp fuses
1 medium perko switch..not alt wire
1 clarion apx480 amp.....
1 set of mobile spec cometion rca's 17 feet
1 kicker solobaric box.......for a grand total of.............$433.00 including all shipping and handling......leaving me with an extra 67.oo for wires...i knew this could be done for under 500.00, even goign with all marine garde items...even have money in the equipment budget for wires!!!.not bad ehhh!

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 10:05am
Ryan,

looks good...
you may need a bigger fuse. I would have gone with at least a 110A. Your Clarion Amp has 2x25A fuse and the Bazooka has 4x15. If you add them all up you get 110A, you normally want to go with the next highest rating, like 115A or 120A.
We can use the 100A and push it to the max and see what happens...

-------------

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 11:24am
oooops.....no biggie

Date Posted: February-10-2007 at 11:44am
Be fun to try to blow 'em anyway!

-------------

Date Posted: February-11-2007 at 2:57am
Read this:

http://www.thejump.net/fishingarticles/Ship-Shape.htm - Battery Isolator

http://www.marine.com/product_info.php/cPath/225_227/products_id/29154?osCsid=5136930a8fd6cf4677ed045781e6a035 - Battery Integrator

Looks like the integrator may be a better way to go...

-------------

Date Posted: February-11-2007 at 9:33am
randy im gonna stick to my 28.oo perko isolator switch....that integrator is a little too much for my blood..100+. i know the perkos are proven so imo why waste the money, yes maybe if i was sailing or off shore boating then id be able to flip a 100+ for a few integrators...have you heard anything from skipa?. randy why im thinking do you or eric want my stock clarions..they are 100 watts each max rms...if not, ill just save them to save them, not that i would ever put them back in!...is the weather ever gonna warm up here,its damn cold!

Date Posted: February-11-2007 at 11:00am
Ryan, thats fine, I was just throwing it out there to see what everyones opinion was. I may choose to go with the integrator, I like the Idea of not having to worry about switching back and forth.
Does anyone have any experience with a battery integrator??
I haven't heard from SkiPA. A friend of mine told me last night he could get me the 2gauge wire I will need for the battery connections. I would still like to get about 20feet of 8gauge off of him. Maybe we should drop him an email?
I don't really have a use for the old clarions, unless I build one of those coolers like Root has...

-------------

Date Posted: February-11-2007 at 11:40am
I AM STILL HER JUST WATING FOR YOU TO SEND ME AN EMAIL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window