Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=756
Printed Date: July-02-2024 at 11:54am

Topic: Water In the Cylinder
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Water In the Cylinder
Date Posted: August-24-2004 at 2:16am
I need dianostic help. I just had a new Holley 4160 installed on my 351w to resolve a warm start issue. Fired it off immediately and the boat idled great. Took it out on the water and heard several stack fires or back fires (never heard either on the boat before so not sure which). Boat quit at 1100+ RPM in neutral and wouldn't restart. Removed the plugs and discovered water in the 2nd to last plug on the starboard side. Replaced plug turned it over - more water. Removed plug and watched it spit water. Thoughts?

Notes: 79 Nautique; 351w; Holley 4160; electronic ignition

Replies:
Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: August-24-2004 at 12:14pm
No good thoughts. Sounds like the exhaust mainfold or head gasket is shot.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August-24-2004 at 1:37pm
are there rust trails or water running down the exhaust manifold where the lower meets the upper? is it a salt water boat?

Posted By: David F
Date Posted: August-25-2004 at 12:54pm
Does not sound good. Replacing the carburetor would not have caused the problems you are outlining. Backfiring through the carburetor usually means that the timing is 180 degrees out of phase or you are trying to start the engine backwards. Water in the cylinder usually means either a cracked cylinder head, a bad head gasket or an internally cracked exhaust manifold. If the cylinder accumulated significant amounts of water and you attempted to start the engine, you may have bent a connecting rod.

I suggest you check all items listed above. If you did not touch the distributor, I would focus on the head. Pull the exhaust manifold, cylinder head and see what is going on. Check for a bent rod by carefully comparing the piston travel relative the others.

After reassembly and before starting, put the #1 cylinder at top dead center (compression strock) and make sure the distributor rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire. Good luck.

Print Page | Close Window