Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7650
Printed Date: June-29-2024 at 3:22am

Topic: first oil change
Posted By: phospher
Subject: first oil change
Date Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:37pm
i want to change the oil for the first time since i've owned my 1982 american skier. i was just looking for a drain plug and couldn't find a plug under the oil pan. what i did find was pictured below

also, i'm planning on using mercruiser 25w-40 conventional motor oil. think that's good? the engine is a ford commander 351w. How many quarts 5 I think??

I have pump that i found in my bilge too. i'm assuming
that's for pumping the oil out. it's just a clear tube with a hand pump half way up it.

i've changed oil in my harley and cars several times..... just don't want to f*** my boat up.

thanks for the input.

Replies:
Posted By: cfk280
Date Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:40pm
If your boat is on a trailer or on a lift, run the hose in your hand out the drain hole in the hull and drain the old oil. This is the easiest way. Pumping is a longer process and sometimes you do not get all the oli out. Good Luck

Date Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:51pm
so that is definitely the oil drain though right?
i idled along for like 2 hours last weekend and am paranoid that i have gas in the oil and it couldn't hurt to change it anyways.

thanks!

Posted By: stang72
Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:00am
The oil plug is located at the rear of the pan ...I can.t tell whats in the picture , but I am guessing someone rigged a drain hose to the pan...thats good! After the engine is warm run the hose through the hull where the t- plug screws in and drain it into a pan(etc).

5 quarts for a PCM Ford 351...be sure to get a new filter too!

-------------
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3720/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - The Super Air

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:11am
sweetness. how about the fuel/water seperator filter? should i change that while i'm at it? just unscrew and put the new one in right? don't have to bleed the fuel line or anything do i?

thanks guys.

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:23am
No. Today's motor oil is eating cams left and right, not enough zinc-d. look it up, you will need an off-road or diesel oil or a suitable additive.

Pumping the oil is just fine

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: bill1
Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:28am
yes, phospher, that is definitly the oil drain. you don't have to bleed the fuel line, although, you will loose a little fuel when you start removing the filter. is that a one piece fuel filter there in the picture or do you have a cannister with a fuel filter inside with a water drain plug on the bottom?

-------------
bill

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:43am
gottaski, i don't get your comments. are you serious about getting an off-road or diesel oil?
i called my local inboard marina and they recommended he mercruiser oil.

bill1,

it's a napa gold 3225 filter. there is no drain plug from what i can see. just screws into a mount that has the fuel inlet and outlet.

-phil

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:15am
use rotela 15w40 and leave the mercruiser sh*t for mercrusiers.

Or if you want to spend some more cash use royal purple, or lucus racing oils.

yes seriously

as in don't listen to the i/o dealer's/mechanic

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:31am
rotela 15w 40 it is. thanks. another concern of mine......

i smell a bit of gas in the oil. this scares me but i hope it's nothing to big.....

boat runs like a top. haven't noticed the oil level fluctuate at all.....

i realize it could be worn rings but someone give me some hope here... tell me something that won't make me cry.

i did spend a LONG time idling around the last time i was out...

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:49am
well if the rings are worn they can let some gas into the oil not good, a compression test needs perfromed before it's too late and your buying a new motor.

Also the first place to look is the fuel pump expecially if it's an automotive pump and not a marine version, if marine then you need to look at the clear tube going to the flame arrestor from the pump and see if there is any moister or fluid inside of the tube if so the pump's shot and needs replace ASAP.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:58am
phospher,I had issues with the 15/40 with an FL1-A filter. After 15 high speed passesin excess of 5000 rpm's oil press. dropped to 10 psi and developed a lifter tick @ 400 rpm's.
Motor is 331 stroker ,less than 30 hrs.Changed to 40 weight Rotalla T,with a Wix filter.She now holds 30@ idle and 60 @ cruise.Do not know if the filter or the oil or combo of both, just telling my story...............boat dr

Chris, there is nothing wrong with the blended 25/40 M/Cruiser oils,have used it inthe black motors for years and never saw an oil related failure,bur I will not run it im my 331...nuff said on M/Cruiser oil....

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:03am
Is that duct tape on that supply line from the tranny cooler?

cfk280 on some of the older boats,drain plug under the front seat ,pumping is the only option.Does not matter if you gravity feed or suck it out ,the end result is the same............boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:20am
it's actually electrical tape. and i put it there so that the hose clamp from the fuel/water seperator doesn't cut into it because it rubs a little.

it's not patching a hole or anything.

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:23am
79nautique,

i don't see any moisture in the clear tube that runs into the flame arrestor. so if the piston rings are worn would I need a motor rebuild or possibly just the rings replaced? how much would a rebuild run me in a shop because that's way over my head.

oh, and i'm selling my harley. just want to focus all my funds to boating...and i'll probably need those funds!

thanks,

-phil

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:26am
you need to look for fluid at the base of the tube at the fuel pump not at the flame arrestor.

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:41am
ah ok. i'll go check.

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:50am
79nautique,

no i didn't see any. the tube isn't very clear so i couldn't really tell. so i disconnected the hose from the flame arrestor and put the tube below the fuel pump so that any moisture would drain out. nothing came out nor did i see any.

thanks,

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 8:38am
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

gottaski, i don't get your comments. are you serious about getting an off-road or diesel oil?
i called my local inboard marina and they recommended he mercruiser oil.

That's because he makes the most $$ on the Merc oil!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 10:51am
Stinky oil could also be carburation, pisin gas after shutdown, or you smellin that dangerous puddle of gas on the back of the intake. When running, the jugs are typically under vacuum, the gas would have to go the wrong way to get in the oil.
A compression test is in order before calling the engine toast.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 11:45am
Where are you smelling gas in the oil? Hard to tell where the smell is coming from until you drain it. I'd do the oil + filter change, see if you smell gas in the drained oil or if the oil seems very thin, then run for a few days and drain a cup of oil out to see if its getting contaminated. Since you have the drain hose its easy to hold the hose up, take off the cap, lower it to drain a bit, then raise it and re-cap it.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:52pm
I think that's exactly what I'll do 63 skier. I'm going to change the oil this weekend. I'm smelling gas on the oil dipstick.

If the rings were bad wouldn't i see a loss of power or rough running? Or perhaps the problem isn't bad enough to affect the engine. I'm hoping it's fine for a while because if I tell my wife I need a new engine a few weeks after we bought the boat she'll kill me. I've put 20hrs on the boat since I bought it with 600hrs.

thanks

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:37pm
If rings are going bad, you might not notice the loss of power, might be only one cylinder, might be bad but not completely shot, who knows. So, the compression test is needed to tell you what shape each cylinder is in, and from there you'll know whether you need a rebuild or not.

To maybe cheer you up a bit, at 600 hours, assuming the prior owner did reasonable maintenance, I think there is a good chance the engine is OK. Run a bit on the new oil and see if the oil has the gas smell, and do the compression test. Ask a local repair guy if you can trailer the boat over so he can do the test, won't be expensive or take long.

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:04pm
thanks 63 skier. i'll do that and follow up here.

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 6:54pm
my wife's dad has a few compression testing tools. i think i'll get one from him and test the compression. i read a post in here on how to do it and it seems pretty easy.

Date Posted: July-24-2007 at 10:28pm
i just replaced the fuel/water seperator. now that the new fuel filter is emtpy will i have any problems starting or will it just fill up right away. obviously the one i took out of there was full of fuel.

i also drained a little oil out and i didn't really smell any fuel.....

the whole dam boat smells like fuel to me... sitting in my garage, but that's probably the vented fuel tank and the little bit of fuel i just spilled replacing the filter. next comes the oil change then i'll keep an eye on the oil for gas in it.

Date Posted: July-25-2007 at 12:20am
probably won't fire right up, but after the engine turns over and the pump starts pumping, it will start up. that is if it has been starting easy before all this servicing you are doing.

-------------
bill

Date Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:48am
oh yeah, always fires right up... so just keep her cranking to let the fuel filter fill with fuel? should i have filled the filter with fuel like an oil filter?

Date Posted: July-25-2007 at 2:00am
no, it fire up in a few seconds when the gas gets to the carb.

-------------
bill

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: July-25-2007 at 10:43am
phospher,

I changed my fuel filter on mine last night. Boat started up with one crank. Make sure you check for leaks on the filter as soon as you get it started.

Also, if your smelling that much fuel please check your rubber fuel lines all the way back to the tank. On my 81 I had to change them all out as the were dry and cracking.

Wash the bilge out with a good bilge cleaner/degreaser then deodrize everything, bilge carpet seat bottoms. Get it good and clean and that might help because these things can stink like an auto garage when they're messy.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:15am
in the event that i find gas in the engine oil and need to get it fixed what can i expect to pay for a marina to rebuild my motor?

need to start preparing wife.

thanks gents,

-phil

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 3:13am
Phil,

I rebuilt my 351 this past winter, excluding upgrading the heads to gt40p I spent about $2000 for machine work and quality components and did the assembly myself. I added heads, intake and new carb and another $1000 to the bill. A marina is going to get between $4-5000 to do the whole job. I would look for a rebuilt short block, get some buddies together and swap it out your self.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 3:56am

in the event that i find gas in the engine oil and need to get it fixed what can i expect to pay for a marina to rebuild my motor?

need to start preparing wife.

thanks gents,

-phil

if your getting gas in the oil most likely it's the fuel pump and not bad rings

-------------

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:51pm
79nautique,

you had me check for gas coming out of the clear fuel pump line that goes into the flame arrestor. anything else i can check to verify if the fuel pump is working correctly? it does look pretty old. i'm going to replace that clear line that runs from the fuel pump because i can barely see through it.

could you explain to me what happens with a broken fuel pump that causes fuel to get into the engine?

thanks!

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:07pm
The pump doe's not break, the diapham cracks or perforates.This allows fuel to ,under pressure,to not go to the carb. In a car or truck it would go on the ground ,in a boat into the bilge.The hose,the clear one,will direct it to the flame arrestor.This will cause the engine to stall or die. This will stop a potentially deadly situation,motor dies and pumps no fuel into the bilge..............boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:26pm
so how does that send fuel into the oil? the boat runs perfectly at all RPM's. i don't see fuel leaking around the fuel pump or into the bilge.

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:11pm

i also drained a little oil out and i didn't really smell any fuel.....

the whole dam boat smells like fuel to me...

Phos, I think you're over-freaking about this a little bit. The conversation has gone from your oil smelling like gas to needing a complete rebuild. Slow down and smell the gas a little more!

You have said the oil level doesn't change, the boat runs like a top throughout the entire powerband, you can smell gas in the oil at first, and now you're smelling gas everywhere in the boat.

Do a compression test, but I think your engine is fine. Gottaski has it right, idling the engine for a couple hours will not fill the crankcase with gas because it's getting burned off normally. You could be smelling gas from a number of different places. Changing the fuel filter/seperator will stink like crap for days. It's normal. Especially if it's sitting in your garage. There could be small puddle of of gas that accumulates on the intake manifold as mentioned earlier. Wipe that out if it's there. I had my tank full one time and we got this really bad heat wave come through. The gas expanded and about a cup came out the vent and on my garage floor. Stunk terrible for days again. Double check that there isn't any leaking from the gas tank and along the whole gas line up to the carb. Check every fitting and connection very carefully. Let us know what you find.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:34pm
I'm kind of thinking along the same lines as Backfoot at this point. You're over-thinking the problem. As long as you've confirmed that fuel isn't leaking anywhere so there is no safety issue, just change the oil and run the boat. Summer is short, don't waste it worrying. Do the compression test when you can, but don't wait, get the boat on the water and enjoy it.

-------------

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:37pm
man you guys are so right. even my wife things i'm freaking out. i guess i'm just so excited i finally have a inboard ski boat and i'm worried something is wrong. i'll change the oil this weekend, check all fitings and see how it goes.

thanks guys.

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 4:40pm
Excited is a good thing. Been there before. As long as you don't have a safety issue and gas is leaking all over the place, go out, enjoy the boat and get a feel for the old girl!!!!! She'll treat you right as long as you treat her right. Change the oil and keep a close eye on it. Also keep an eye on the tranny fluid levels and by all means, pay attention to the gauges. They are your most valuable asset for determining when things are right and when things are wrong. Pay attention to any weird noises or something out of the ordinary (like gas smells) but you need to first find out what ordinary is.

Good luck and enjoy!!!! Keep us posted. I need more fellow American Skier owners to set these CC guys straight once in a while.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 7:02pm
Comments like that Eddie will force us to end this open door policy to all non CC owners. I just kidding of course... Eddie you were right I love the way the BFN preforms on the top end with the MSD ignition system..

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 7:39pm
Mr. Bragg,We need more guys with C/C boats on this site, we will tolerate those with less than, but will not roll over . Eddie there is space in hyperspace for another forum like the one you just posted on.
Be a man , like Keith, and start your own.
But don't use any names that have been used before, like calling a boat line American Skier.
I personally own a REAL AMERICAN SKIER,and it was made by C/C.On top of that it don't have no stinking G/M motor in it.
We will allow you to play, just not change the rules..........This comes with owning a real boat..........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: July-26-2007 at 11:46pm
Phospher...yeah you are freaking! Just clean the whole mess up...check you gas lines when it, running....get the fuel smell gone and have fun!

-------------
stang

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3720/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - The Super Air

Posted By: The Dude
Date Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:10am
wow, doc is bringing it!

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Date Posted: July-27-2007 at 11:58am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Comments like that Eddie will force us to end this open door policy to all non CC owners. I just kidding of course... Eddie you were right I love the way the BFN preforms on the top end with the MSD ignition system..

Jim, I'm glad that you're enjoying it. It does make it so smooooooth. Did you end up going with the 6A and the MSD coil too? It was really fun to play around with the different springs and advance bushings to get it dialed in. I met a guy near here with a BFN who also installed a complete MSD setup in his boat and both of us have experienced the same issue that I need to warn you about. The mechanical advance started to rust up on the pivot points and would not advance as it should. It took quite a bit of judicious cleaning to get freed up and mine didn't give me problems until I had 6 years and well over 500 hours logged, but it is something that you should look at as part of your regular maintenance. What happened with mine was that it would stay at the initial timing until it hit 2000 RPM or better and go to full advance. Then when you throttle down, it sometimes would hang at 20 degrees advance or better.

-------------

Eddie

Date Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Mr. Bragg,We need more guys with C/C boats on this site, we will tolerate those with less than, but will not roll over . Eddie there is space in hyperspace for another forum like the one you just posted on.
Be a man , like Keith, and start your own.
But don't use any names that have been used before, like calling a boat line American Skier.
I personally own a REAL AMERICAN SKIER,and it was made by C/C.On top of that it don't have no stinking G/M motor in it.
We will allow you to play, just not change the rules..........This comes with owning a real boat..........boat dr

Knew I would get a rise out of someone out there!!!!
Thanks Doc, you came through.

-------------

Eddie

Date Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:30pm
Not to apologize for the above post, just to clarify my wording.We welcom all to this site, just as those of another brand to our reunions.
Just try to be apart OF,rather than a apart FROM.We all have a common intrest in these unique boats,we share and we scare.This is what i would try and as important is "please don't try or do that .As well as been there done that ,cost me a lot of money and grief.
this is what this site and its members are all about,share,care and swear.We have this
"Don't Tell and We Won't Ask"

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: David F
Date Posted: July-27-2007 at 5:10pm

i want to change the oil for the first time since i've owned my 1982 american skier.

No wonder you are having problems. 25 years before the first oil change is bit too long. Just a bit...

-------------

Date Posted: July-29-2007 at 3:38am
ok, changed my fuel water separator, changed the fuel tube that runs from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor(it was so dirty i couldn't see through it), changed my oil and filter and replaced with rotella 15w-40, and tightened up a loose belt that would squeal a bit at start up. i was out on the boat all day today and everything looks great. i checked numerous times to make sure i didn't have any fuel or oil leaks after the changes. i also looked at the tube running from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor while the engine was running and there was no fuel going into the tube.

i'll keep an eye on the oil now to see how she looks. it was hard to tell when i drained the oil if it looked really thin. i think i did smell a bit of gas though.

thanks guys.

-------------

Date Posted: July-30-2007 at 2:55am
Of course you thought you smelled gas in the oil...you are preconditioned to a biased expectation!

Go run the thing and take an oil sample from the drain hose ...let it set and see if there is any separation.The sense of smell is often times influenced by the mind...true fact!

also...if it has been a long time between oil changes...I would change it again after a few more times out on the lake...get a good clean new oil supply! My personal preferance is no BS straight 30 weight for older engines!

-------------
stang

Date Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:13am
i checked the oil and smelled it the last time i was done using the boat(last weekend). The oil looked good and I didn't smell any gas. I just checked the oil again today and I believe I'm smelling the gas again. Could anything cause gas to get into the oil while the boat is just sitting not being used? It's only been 4 days since I last used it.

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: August-02-2007 at 11:48am
Get it running and then warmed up good. Pull off the flame arrester. When you shut it off, look into the carb throat and see if there is any fuel dripping from the carb into the intake. That would be the only way that gas could be getting in the oil that I can think of. If fuel is flowing when it's shut off, you have a float adjustment issue or the needle/seats are dirty and need cleaning or replacement. This would also cause hard starting issues when you have it warmed up. If gas isn't dripping from the carb, I think you're smelling things.

-------------

Eddie

Date Posted: August-02-2007 at 12:45pm
thanks, i'll check that out. i've never had any hard starting issues yet...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window