Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7864
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 3:24am

Topic: Through-Hull Exhaust Tips - How to Seal
Posted By: 63 Skier
Subject: Through-Hull Exhaust Tips - How to Seal
Date Posted: August-06-2007 at 1:55pm
Not on the '63, on another boat I have ... I'm re-installing exhaust tips, they have a 3-bolt flange outside the hull. My first inclination is to use silicone sealer, but when I removed them it looked like bedding compound was used before. Which is correct for this? If silicone, any particular type to use?

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-06-2007 at 2:17pm
Well, This will be about the 5th time I've said it but I really hate silicone. It doesn't stick to anything including itself! The only place it works is when it's compressed between two surfaces.

On older boats, where the exhaust pipe and the flange are 2 pieces, the inside of the flange of the ID will have a chamfer on it. The hole in the hull will also be chamfered on the outside. These chamfers were there to hold flax packing just like you put in the stuffing box on the prop shaft and rudder. The idea being that the flange will compress the flax around the pipe but still allow any movement of the pipe due to heat expansion.

If you don't want to put the packing back in, I would use 5200 to seal it and not the GD silicone!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-06-2007 at 2:40pm
This one is not the 2 piece, the flange is welded to the tip. 5200 it is, thanks for the suggestion. I had some weeping last year and want it sealed correctly. With the 5200 if I ever need to take it out again, will it come apart?

By the way this is a '75 jet boat, I hope I'm not breaking CCFan bylaws by asking non-CC related questions here!

-------------

Date Posted: August-06-2007 at 3:10pm
Yes, The 5200 will break down with some heat - Not enough to harm the glass or the gel. I happen to like and have mentioned the hot wire method. Since it is a item that you will not be removing on a regular basis, I feel the security of the 5200 seal is the way to go.

You mentioning the jet doesn't bother me as long as you're not using it to pull tubes!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: August-06-2007 at 3:15pm
Pete, many thanx for keeping this site pure.We do have standards here,as what is permissable.

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: August-06-2007 at 3:21pm
No tubes, in fact I've yet to pull a skier with it, though my nephew wants to give it a try when I get it back in the water. Just a fun project to work on, for some reason I enjoy the jet drives.

-------------

Date Posted: August-06-2007 at 4:25pm
I do know they are fun but not the best boat to ski behind. You need a 200' long rope!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-06-2007 at 4:38pm
Why would you need such a long rope???

-------------