Subject: Mastercraft Submarine
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 4:19pm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BwU192VU8ck

Eric-

How much $$ in trans damage?

Replies:
Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 4:31pm
Holy crap, how the hell did that happen?

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: Briman
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 4:36pm
I'd say he jammed it into reverse. The guys in jetboats do it all the time. Sometimes they even sink em on accident. Brian

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 4:40pm
Good question Eddie. Upon stopping and starting it a few times, it looks to me like he was attempting to slide it, but for the life of me I don't know how you could nose dive it that bad. And I didn't see a big wake in the foreground. A Skier/Mustang/SkiTique hull will plant the nose under water if you try hard enough and that's as it exposes the running gear, and possibly several other CC hulls too(?). How about the newest hulls, can you make them dive? And I guess it's obvious that an open bow will fill up easier.   

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: SeattleFordFan
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 5:29pm
Thats a good moment to test the new Bilge pump you just installed.

-------------
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique

Posted By: The Lake
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 6:24pm
Must be his dad's boat.

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Posted By: bsucics
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 6:35pm
What's the right way to do this (realizing it's probably not the best idea to start with)? I've never attempted, but have always wanted to try a powerslide. Certainly don't want to end up like this guy...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1840" rel="nofollow - 1989 Ski Nautique

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:04pm
full throttle, let off while spinning the wheel.

Not good on your rudder though.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

I watched it several times and that is not a power turn.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:17pm
Eric used the term 'bulletproof' referring to my 10-18...but I wouldn't shoot that at it?!!?

LOL

seems to me that many negatives would come from this; and I agree with the dad's boat comment!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: 68lemans
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:28pm
If I had to guess that is what happende to a family near dayton this week. Some people at my work know the family.... read the story....

Child's lake boating death ruled accident

JAMESTOWN, Ohio — Authorities have the ruled the death of a 4-year-old boy at Lake Shawnee in southwest Ohio was an accident.

The child, wearing a lifejacket, went overboard along with other boaters when their 20-foot boat started taking on water, investigators said Monday. Mark Kreusch of the Dayton suburb of Centerville died instantly Saturday afternoon when struck by the boat.

The boy's father, Jon Kreusch, had turned the boat sharply to head back to a fallen water skier, said John Wisse of the Ohio Division of Watercraft. The boat's front end went underwater, he said.

The other seven people on the boat were safely rescued by other boaters. No alcohol or reckless operation contributed to the accident, authorities said.

"We're satisfied this is nothing more than a tragic accident," Capt. Eric Spicer of the Greene County Sheriff's Office said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/search/content/gen/ap/OH_Boating_Death.html

Posted By: 68lemans
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:30pm
In the Dayton paper it said that it was a malibu.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by 68lemans 68lemans wrote:

The child, wearing a lifejacket, went overboard along with other boaters when their 20-foot boat started taking on water, investigators said Monday. Mark Kreusch of the Dayton suburb of Centerville died instantly Saturday afternoon when struck by the boat.

The boat went under, and then struck the kid? I can't wrap my head around that one...

-------------

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I was told it was the opener for prior lake's ski show, and yes it is a power turn. Tough to turn when you are under water.

You can see the observer getting ready for the spin.

Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:50pm
If thats a power turn, the guy needs to work on his "Rotation and Flotation"

-------------
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 8:03pm
Looks to me like he chopped the throttle a split second to soon, should have had the nose turning a little harder first. Couple of rollers at the same time didn't help. I think he should stick to winding ropes.....Dump Ass

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I was told it was the opener for prior lake's ski show, and yes it is a power turn. Tough to turn when you are under water.

You can see the observer getting ready for the spin.

A power turn includes a bow to stern 180. Alan's probably correct that he chopped the power to soon.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: August-15-2007 at 9:59pm
That is a crazy video, Guess they are lucky no one was injured in that one.

Posted By: 2_Nautiques
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 12:07am
I say he jams it into reverse, watch is arm, and the boats is uncovering hard in reverse.

Isn't this boat on Ebay, "slightly used promo boat"

-------------

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1160" rel="nofollow - 1988 Ski Nautique

Posted By: MaddMarxx
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 12:41am
WOW...That is nuts, It looks to me like he was going for a power turn but his left hand slips off the wheel and he may have put it in reverse at the same time, and with the nose of that boat being so low already and the fact that it is an open bow allowed it fill up with water and way to fast...it just goes to show you if you dont know what you are doing then you should not try it, or somebody may get hurt!

I have been doing power turns in Ski nautiques since I was 15 and I will not do them with anyone else in the boat...

-------------

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:00am
That's in a river with a pretty good current.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:05am
i bet that guy felt like the biggest retard in the world. atleast the boat came back up haha.

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:52am
The art of the power turn!

not one of my best, water was to choppy

-------------

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 3:07am
Cool set of pics Mark. Looks awful good to me.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 3:09am
thanks..and I did'nt even spill my Beer!

-------------

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 3:13am
Better yet!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: NAUTI84
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 10:19am
Nice set of pics Mark!
A bunch of years ago a guy in knew in RI sunk his Nautique doing this.
My understanding is that he got back into throttle to quick (probably about where Mark's 4th pic is) and cork-screwed the boat under.
Wife and kids in boat. Ripped windshield off, sunk boat, and he and his wife were banged up a little.
Everyone please be Careful!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=421&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985 - EX-NAUTI84

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 10:19am
in the power boat world thats called stuffing the boat, who wanted to know if these boats could handle a little chop,
now if you could do that all the time i would consider you an ace..

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 11:15am
MM, upon closer review and with my computer's spray filter on, I noticed a small ding in your prop, plus the bottom does need polishing. Were these shots pulled from a video? And if so, post it. Another good view, but harder to get, is the inside of the turn, from where the water is swept, and then from where the pending delayed side wave comes crashing that soaks any backseat participants. You can avoid that if you quickly throttle back up a tad bit for just a second and pull out of the path, but it's normally fun if they're dressed for it and know it's coming. So for any guys trying this for the first time or practicing to get the hang of it, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do this without asking your riders to brace themselves. If the surprise you're aiming to deliver is the soaking, then warn them to hold on and they'll still get drenched and they'll enjoy the whip even more.     

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 11:32am
Also a word of caution if you do a lot of power turns. Check your engine mounts every once in a while. The mechanic working on my dad's 70 Barracuda one time couldn't figure out why they were loose!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 11:40am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do this without asking your riders to brace themselves.

That's all that needs to be said about power turns. Everyone has their own opinions on whether or not to do them but please listen to those words of wisdom.

When younger I used to do power turns just about everytime I went out, damn near hurt a few unsuspecting riders. I had a passenger decide to change seats just as I was starting a spin, she didn't get hurt but it could have been big. That was an eye opening event.

I have purposely never spun the 81 so my kids won't get any bright ideas.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 12:22pm
Cool trick, but I don't do them. It's got to be hard on the boat, and it's hard to complain about jet skis if I'm out there doing the same crap.

Posted By: racintj
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 12:29pm
The worst thing is this guy will probably try to sub the boat each time he is out now...as well as half the people who see the vid.

-------------
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 1:14pm
I see Mark prefers power turns to the right, I prefer to do them to the left. With a passenger in the front, and no one in the back, my little boat will pull the prop out of the water every time. It seems to me the boat spins faster to the left. Could it be prop rotation? And yes, tell virgin riders to hold on before the turn. It's so funny to watch their expressions when the water slaps in on them.

Reid, a perfect time for a repost of your spin video.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 1:58pm
Tim, this seals the issue with you.Passenger safety is at the bottom of your list ....
Youth is wasted on the young....
Wisdom on the old.........

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:12pm
What are you talking about? and you're only 10 years older than me.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: SkiBum
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

Isn't this boat on Ebay, "slightly used promo boat"

I was gonna buy that boat

-------------
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks - http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:31pm
Tim, at the ripe old age of 53,I will say the last ten years have been the most difficult.
Pride and ego were the biggest hurdles to clear,if these are kept in balance,I will remain teachable.With this I will be of best service and use to my fellow man.
I hope my growth continues at the rapid pace it has encountered at the half century mark........best wishes on your journey............billy

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 5:43pm
Billy, you're getting philosophical in your older years. And not that the subjects are related, but Tim's a great and safe driver. He reiterated the need to tell riders to hold on, but admittedly, half the fun is the reaction from the soaking. As for the gas line, well, I've got the same set up including filter, AND I will change it very soon. I was not aware of the "outboards only" detail which Pete posted. You're right though, we must continue to learn.

Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

I see Mark prefers power turns to the right, I prefer to do them to the left. With a passenger in the front, and no one in the back, my little boat will pull the prop out of the water every time. It seems to me the boat spins faster to the left. Could it be prop rotation? And yes, tell virgin riders to hold on before the turn. It's so funny to watch their expressions when the water slaps in on them.

Reid, a perfect time for a repost of your spin video.

As for spin direction, I prefer the left spin also, and according to my book on props, a RH prop pushes the stern to the right when going forward probably aiding a left turn spin moreso.

As for the spin video, you mean this one? Looking back it's not a really good spin, but the only one I had on video. It bounced a little once while coming around instead of raising the stern and whipping in one motion.

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/reidp_photos/?action=view¤t=70Must-OliveOyl-PowerSlide.flv">

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 5:47pm
After watching those spins and side slides, my kids think it's a good idea to remove the fins.

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 5:51pm
Yeah, that's the one Reid, spin/slide/180 or whatever we will call it. And on doing the power turn to the right, which swings the rear to the left, you're fighting the prop rotation. That's why the left turn seems easier and quicker.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

The art of the power turn!

Looks like MM, Reid and Jeff Kostis should get together and write a how-to article! I know at least one guy who would benefit from reading it.

I have to say that Jeff's powerturns were more extreme than the ones posted so far, though. I could tell it was a good one when I turned around at the finish and saw a wake coming from the nose of the boat.

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have to say that Jeff's powerturns were more extreme than the ones posted so far, though.

I would guess that is true Tim, but on the other hand, being in the front seat at the time probably gives you a slightly different perspective than watching from the safe distance from which these videos and photos were shot    

-------------

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 6:44pm
Yeah- airborne and skipping sideways was pretty extreme!

Larry- It's always more of a rush in the passenger seat since you're not the one in control

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 7:47pm
reid..nice video, but wheres all spray? if did that the guys on your dock would be soaked! and when I slowed it down I saw all the chips on the hull and smoke coming out the back!

-------------

Posted By: Root
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 7:49pm
MM thats some cool motion pics,   I tryed a spin a few times and it seemed like it was pretty hard on the boat.

I dont think I was doing it right though,   ran about 30 and cut real hard and never lifted off the throttle.   

how is it done?    might wana try it once just to see.

-------------
RootRacing

Posted By: David F
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 8:02pm
That is an amazing video (submarine). On of the comments below the vid is from the driver who said it was clearly an accident and he did not mean to do it. It just seems the boat dove for no reason. Wow.

-------------

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: August-16-2007 at 8:44pm
Reidp, I went through your photobucket, who owns all those boats in the warehouse??

Also, the boat inside the trailer got me, so cool!!!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: August-17-2007 at 1:01am
Luchog, A number of the older CC's in the warehouse are project boats I've picked up over the years. Others belong to boat buddies from the neighborhood and we all needed a location to store and work on them. So we came up with the BBC as a joke, i.e., Boys Boat Club, complete with a fridge full of beer, stereo, and lots of B.S.. Not so busy in the summer, but it's a neat hangout in the cooler, non-boating winter evenings here in the Carolinas.

The boat inside the trailer got me too, right in the butt. Looks and works better in theory, but I'm not giving up yet. I need to simplify it somewhat so just my wife and I can negotiate it. Thx.   

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: August-17-2007 at 1:05am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

reid..nice video, but wheres all spray? if did that the guys on your dock would be soaked! and when I slowed it down I saw all the chips on the hull and smoke coming out the back!

Dude, you know that's Rodney's boat. I would NEVER do that with my own. But if I did that with your boat, I'd even drown the guys on the next dock over.
PS: I know you didn't see any fiberglass chips and the smoke was coming off the prop.

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: August-17-2007 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Root Root wrote:

MM thats some cool motion pics,   I tryed a spin a few times and it seemed like it was pretty hard on the boat.

I dont think I was doing it right though,   ran about 30 and cut real hard and never lifted off the throttle.   

how is it done?    might wana try it once just to see.

your going to slow almost need to be WOT then cut it hard maybe a slight counter steer before turning hard and killing the power then a small burp of the trottle to get the bow back up and not getting soaked.

Also if you don't know the condition of your steering cable then I wouldn't do it unless you have a tow boat close by to tow you in when the cable breaks.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: Root
Date Posted: August-17-2007 at 4:01pm
79 Thanks for the instructions and the warning.   Just replaced a broke throttle cable and not shure of the condition of the steering cable.

Think I will just leave that powerslide alone for now.

-------------
RootRacing

Date Posted: August-18-2007 at 2:24am
boat dr; Gotta agree with you....goin over 50 was a real eye-opener for me. Looked at lots of things differently. Sometimes wonder what I was thinking at times. One reason why I like reading your posts.

Luchog or anyone else: I had the honor and pleasure of a trip to the famous BBC. Every boat in there has a story...even the stars and stripes mc. I had to climb in or on every boat in there. Then the trip is finished with a cold one. A couple hours you won't forget..a tour led by Reid.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: October-29-2007 at 1:34am
I cant find this video anymore, Did someone save it somewhere? I need a link to it, or something cause I didnt save it anywhere....

-------------
Travs

1980 Ski Nautique

Posted By: jslow68
Date Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:39pm
I too wanted to show a friend who has that exact same mastercraft the video. So If anyone has it let me know.
Thanks!

Date Posted: October-31-2007 at 2:20pm
You can't save videos from YouTube, and who ever originally posted it took it down.

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: October-31-2007 at 2:56pm
I want to see it too, could'nt pull it up

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: Thephantomkaw
Date Posted: January-02-2008 at 5:41pm
Nooooo!! They took this off!!

-------------
~Michael~

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: January-02-2008 at 6:49pm
Its possible they sent it into AFV or another video show and they made them take it off as you have to sign over the rights to the video in all forms in pertuity etc etc..

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: The2001.com
Date Posted: January-03-2008 at 12:07pm
Actually I had this video posted on The Wakeboard Report for some time and had a story for it. The driver even contacted me to give me the full scoop once he found the article.

Months later, the boat turned up for sale on a few MasterCraft enthusiast sites! Oops. I can assume with solid confidence that the video of the boat submerging was adversly affecting his ability to sell it.

So he pulled the video for that reason - not because it is heading for AFV.

Posted By: east tx skier
Date Posted: January-04-2008 at 5:46pm
I had the registration # written down for that reason as I was unofficially looking for a boat when that video first started making the rounds. I guess I must have thrown it away when I got the Nautique.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2383&sort=&pagenum=7&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: June-19-2015 at 12:58am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768" rel="nofollow - It's Back Up

Thought it would be fun for all the new kids.

Date Posted: June-19-2015 at 10:47am
so awesome

-------------

Print Page | Close Window