Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8259
Printed Date: September-26-2024 at 12:08am

Topic: Why won’t my engine start ?
Posted By: damonwells
Subject: Why won’t my engine start ?
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 9:39pm
1990 Nautique, FORD 351, 500 hours

Yesterday, after running fine all afternoon (with several on & off's), went to start the engine and natta, nothing. No crank, no click, no noise, no nothing. Everything on the Panel worked fine – ignition breaker, lights, blower, bilge pump, etc. Half hour later, my 9 year old son turns the key and presto - engine starts right up no problem. Turned it off and restarted several times, no problem.

Several hours later, same thing happens, it would not start - no noise, no click. I did jump the contacts on the Starter with a screwdriver and the engine started fine.

This morning I checked all connections from ignition switch, to the starter/solenoid & ignition switch, everything looked good & tight. Brought my voltmeter to check a few things, but of course, the engine started right up no problem, so I could not check anything. I suspect the yellow wire from the Ignition Switch goes direct to the Starter/Solenoid, but I did not trace this completely ?

My hunch is a faulty Ignition Switch ? (which I suspect is original) or what about what looks to be a “Neutral Safety Switch” on top of the tranny right under the starter – could this be causing problems ?

Any ideas / suggestions would be great !
Thanks, cheers - John

Replies:
Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 9:47pm
my bet in on the neutral safety switch...do a seach and you'll find tons of info

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 9:53pm
John, I feel you are on the right track looking at the ign. switch and the neutral safety switch. The early ign. switches do go due to a lot of current running through them. You said you have a volt meter. Is it a good ohm meter too? You can ohm out the start contacts and the safety switch and it should be a near zero reading. You do need a good meter though.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 11:24am
I would be looking at the ign switch and NSS as well. My bet is that its the NSS- and it may not even be malfunctioning. Next time it wont start, put the throttle in neutral with the button in and jiggle it back and forth. If it starts after that, the transmission (shift) cable is probably just needs to be adjusted.

-------------

Posted By: damonwells
Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 2:39pm
THANKS !! everyone for the great answers.

Next time this happens, hopefully I'll be able to figure out what's wrong.

cheers - John

Print Page | Close Window