Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8475
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 1:31am

Topic: Replacing windscreen 1992 Nautique
Posted By: ChrisP
Subject: Replacing windscreen 1992 Nautique
Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 8:54am
The windscreen on my 1992 Nautique was shattered by a stone while being towed back from the river. I have purchased a genuine replacement ex USA, but the local agent is afraid to fit it since the windscreen is supplied as flat glass, but needs to be bent to fit the frame. Does anyone have any experience with bending the glass? Are there any tricks to it? Is it safe? Is it simple?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Chris Pearson
Cape Town, South Africa

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 1:00pm
Dont worry, the glass will bend. The factory glass was flat as well. It helps to coat all the rubber gaskets with some dish soap.

-------------

Posted By: 93SNautique
Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 1:14pm
I had the same thing happen to my previous SN. Towing at night and get home to find no windshield and lots of glass all over interior. This was back in the late 80's so I dont recall all the details. But i do remember calling Correct Craft and accusing them of sending me the wrong windshield because it was flat and not curved like the frame. And i remember them telling me not to worry, it will bend....which it did.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1458" rel="nofollow - My 93

Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 1:40pm
Well thanks guys. Your replies helped a lot. As you can imagine, shipping a new windscreen 8,000 miles is never fun!

Regards, and thanks again,
Chris

Posted By: CoryWright
Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 9:37pm
Hi Chris, I have a 1990 Super Sport. Apparently, the guy I purchased it from had modified the support for one side of the windshield -- he mentioned it was broken and they had to shorten it a little to get it to work. In any case, this made it difficult to close the center windshield. The day after we purchased the boat, we closed the center windshield and it broke into a million pieces.

Where did you order a replacement center windshield? Any idea where to get a replacement support?

Thanks for your reply.

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 9:58pm
Is it a TaylorMade or WaterBonnett?????

TaylorMade contact #
    Gayle May/Robin
     1-518-773-0636

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: September-22-2007 at 12:28pm
I'm assuming your doing this with the windscreen off the boat. Set up some saw horses and lay some carpet across them so you don't scratch the frame or the glass. Lay the glass down, put the gasket on the bottm edge and starting at one end tap the frame on with a hard rubber hammer. The glass will bend as you go. It sounds a little scary if you've never worked with glass before but it will take the shape of the frame pretty easily. Protect the edges of the glass from hitting anything in this process since it's tempered and will shatter if you tap the edge on anything solid.

The dish soap will help keep the gasket from hanging up and folding over on itself

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: September-23-2007 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by CoryWright CoryWright wrote:

Hi Chris, I have a 1990 Super Sport. Apparently, the guy I purchased it from had modified the support for one side of the windshield -- he mentioned it was broken and they had to shorten it a little to get it to work. In any case, this made it difficult to close the center windshield. The day after we purchased the boat, we closed the center windshield and it broke into a million pieces.

Where did you order a replacement center windshield? Any idea where to get a replacement support?

Thanks for your reply.

Can't find an email address in your post? In any event, the local agent bought the windscreen from Southeast Correct Craft in Florida I think. WaterBonnett told me that they no longer manufacture Windscreens for the 1992 Nautique. You can also purchase a piece of polycarbonate (like perspex, just tougher) and that will work OK. I found it wasn't as good as glass with salt-spray, but with some water-dispersant polish, it worked fine. I made a template and cut the polycarbonate with a jigsaw. Remember to use the correct thickness (same as the original glass). This isn't the ideal solution, but if the windscreen isn't available, it's an inexpensive fix - even if you have to replace it every couple of years because of sun damage!

Good luck

Print Page | Close Window