Forum Name: Off Topic
Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8712
Printed Date: June-26-2024 at 3:54am

Topic: New member to the family
Posted By: reidp
Subject: New member to the family
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:01am
The boys at the BBC have adopted a 29 yr old, 1700lb bouncing baby girl, and while regretfully not a CC, she's keeping with our non-CC competitive tolerances. Myself, Nautique John, and fellow SN owner Matt partnered on this 1978 Jersey Speed Skiff. We just got it back here last Sunday so we've only managed 3 days of riding but boy is it fun so far. This boat was/is an bonafide race boat and therefore doesn't have a trans, an alternator, or even a bilge pump, yet. So you have to paddle it back up to the dock and sometimes away from it. It's got a very healthy cammed-up 283 Chevy (yeah, that part's killing me, but it's vintage correct)and supposedly runs mid 70's. I've had it 70.0 so far which came at around 6000rpm. The video is Matt behind the wheel on a pass up to about 65. The voice is mine but sounds strange for some reason. Then there are two clips of Marshall and I cutting it up in the Mustangs. We've still got a good month of cruising before we have to put them away.
http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/reidp_photos/CCFan/?action=view¤t=101407boats001.flv">
http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/reidp_photos/?action=view¤t=101407boats009.flv">
http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/reidp_photos/?action=view¤t=101407boats010.flv">     

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Replies:
Posted By: skicat
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:37am
Fun looking ride Reid. Since you said my chevy would be in the shop all the time, you want me to check with my mechanic & see if he has room for yours too?

-------------
Greg

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2427&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985" rel="nofollow - 86 BFN

Posted By: The Lake
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:39am
Reid,

Do you have to nail your shoes to the floor to stay in that in thing?

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:41am
Reid,
That skiff looks like a riot and sounds even better!

btw, welcome to the little boys "Bowtie Club" !!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:45am
Reid, looks great. I want one of those. Don't feel too bad about that 283, it's one of the best engines ever made. Your neighbors are going to love you. Good luck with her. Be careful!

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 12:10pm
Reid, I wanted to say some smart a#@ comment like "you traitor" but luckilly I do know that you do have that quest for speed. The Speed Skiff will give you that fix while you're working on the CC's go fasts!

We don't get to see many of them in the midwest so I'm not really informed on them. The couple I have gotten rides in were shorter. Is this one a longer version so they could get the 283 in it?

Congrats on getting it and I know you will have tons of fun with it.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 6:29pm
70 must be a fun ride. Now you just need a CC that will do it

Which boat is which in the last video? Neither seem to bounce real bad in the calmer water. That was a scary ride in the rough conditions at GL.

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 6:42pm
Skipuss, I'm gonna be really gentle on my Chevy so it'll probably hold together. Plus, I hate to admit it, but sitting on the trailer with the hose hooked to it, while I know I've heard louder, I don't know if I've ever heard a better sounding engine of any make. And as all of us on this site know, an inboard ALWAYS sounds better than an I/O. Unfortunately tho, it's cammed to the point where it doesn't want to idle below about a grand. But maybe we can work on that.

Chuck, it's really easy to stay in the boat, mainly since sitting at the very back you don't feel the extreme jumping as much. But there's an "oh-shi*" handle which you do need to grasp.

Pete, this thing is very short at 16'. I believe the video somehow might make it look longer. Over about the last 40-50 years they've been predominantly powered by 283's with newer "river boats" being powered with milder 350s and the like. They build them today as either lighter race boats, or the heavier river boats for enthusiasts who just want to cruise fast.

EDIT: Tim, I'm closest to the dock. And in the Mustangs with just the driver on board the bounce is still minimal. But yes, as suggested, I will use the Skiff as a study in comparison in the forward velocity development of the vintage CC.       

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 7:18pm
I knew there was a Chevy guy in there just dying to get out!

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

puss, I'm gonna be really gentle on my hold. maybe we can work on that.

Chuck, it's really easy in the back. you feel the handle which you do need to grasp.

Pete, this thing is very short. I believe the video somehow might make it look longer. Over about the last 40-50 years they've been predominantly either lighter, or heavier for enthusiasts of the vintage.

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 8:39pm
you can really spin those 283's, without worrying about scattering, they love RPM's, Im just glad to see Chevy in your vocabulary and your boat, i know deep down that your a closet chevy fan.....watch it, its easy to jump sides

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 9:17pm
Very cool Reid. I've always wanted a highly anti-social speedster like a cracker box. The skiff seems pretty similar.

How about some still photos so we can see the details?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: October-15-2007 at 10:11pm
Reid I can not believe you came out of the closet. After the crap you gave me and the BFN at GL... Atleast I got a big bow tie.. Just giving you some crap. That looks like a wild ride, have fun with it.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 12:36am
Reid, you sure drive/accelerate alot straighter than that other guy.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 12:47am
Reid,
I watched and LISTENED to that video again...man that thing sings! Like Eric says...those 283/302s love the "R"s !

Do you know any of the specs on the 283? Has it been punched out? ....What heads are on it? ...Solid /hydraulic cam?....etc?

We used to use the 283 blocks to build 292s and 301s. Slap a set of 2.02 heads on her and stuff it in a 57 Chevy or a duece... didnt get much better than that! They would run well into the 7 grand range...aahhh, the good ol days...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: The Dude
Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 12:55am
Reid, I loved those vids. It's cool to see the boats AND hear them! Thanks for taking the time put them up here.
It's a shame how quiet my boat sounds compared to those...

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:08am
Reid, I've said before I really like those skiffs.

So, how fast have you had it in a turn? When those boats role up on their sides is when it really gets interesting (at least from a spectators perspective).

Isn't it somehting when you fire up the motor and prop starts screeming immediately.

Be careful. Get yourself a good racing vest and a helmet.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:13am
Here are some still shots. I have no specs on the cam, heads, or any other part(s). I do know however that the Edelbrock intake is a single plane(we temporarily installed the puny flame arrestor; it came with a velocity stack which wouldn't stay on), the heads have been ported, at least on the exh side as we had to replace gaskets and they needed significant enlarging. I'll try to get some casting nos. With no tranny you indeed start up almost planing, and not knowing this set-up well enough I would still expect it to idle down a little better. Brian asked about putting the boat into hard turns, well with the rounded chine she rolls right up on her like you'd expect, no flat turns like a CC, not yet with me anyhow. I'm respectfully learning the ropes here as it's totally new ground. But on the straights at higher speeds when the entire hull lifts repetitively out of the water it is indeed a huge rush.

Hollywood, good translation as usual.

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:27am
omigosh...I thought the Donzi was cool...can I get my request in to drive that bomb on my next visit? (provided I am invited again)

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:11am
Nothing like a Jersey Skiff from New Jersey?

That thing looks pretty crazy, great videos, particularly the part where Marshall almost sideswipes you on the holeshot, good stuff!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:19am
Don't you think that water looks WAY shallower than when we were there?

What a cool time that was. So glad you guys made it down there the same time as me and mrs jbear.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 10:29am
you cant help but to stare

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 7:58pm
That boat is mint for a '78. Is it all fiberglass? Who made the hull? It looks nicer than most of the ones on speedskiffs.com.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:14pm
Congratulations Reid, I know a JSS was on your wish list. I'll definitely be over next summer. I had a bit of a rush this weekend riding in this bad boy (65 Stevens). Not super fast but a wild ride. Don't know the guy. Just pulled up alongside because I liked the boat. (they liked mine too)

-------------

Posted By: 67nautique312
Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:53pm
Damn Reid,

Nice Video's!! Where in the hell do you find those kick ass toy's......I think you need to go to rehab for overdosing on Boats......Naaaaaa keep on collecting.....Those who die with the most toy's wins.....so far I'd say your in first place just don't die. ok....

-------------
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 9:00pm
Lary: Very sweet pic...yours is still the best tho I like the other one too.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: October-16-2007 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That boat is mint for a '78. Is it all fiberglass? Who made the hull? It looks nicer than most of the ones on speedskiffs.com.

Bruce, the hull is a Moore Craft, and somewhat similar to most of the rest with slight variances in the deck. The hull is all glass with glass covered plywood bulkheads. There is plywd also in the flat hull bottom under glass as well. From what we could tell, all of the wood is fine.    

Larry, a flat bottom like that Stevens was actually an earlier desire of mine until I road in a skiff, and I still like the those but they're now way out of focus. BKH and the CA boys probably see them all the time. Does that thing have a vintage 392 Hemi?

Paul, I could probably sell my boats and ownerships in others and still not have the cash to buy a new one. Heck, quinner's got more in his stereo than I have in the normal engine. I just love old boats.   

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:57am
Nice skiff Reid.There were 3 up here about 10 yrs ago,all had Chevy's in them.They must have been recreational ones, trans and lighting,but they haven't been around for a long time.The video dosen't do it justice tho,I'll bet it looks faster in real life.
Maybe next summer we can get all the blue Mustangs together for a video!
Is that motor left hand rotation?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: p/allen
Date Posted: October-17-2007 at 2:13am
Cool boat Reid . Maybe some day Wendy and I will be able to go down and take a look. Unless we see it at GL first . I dont know as if barney would be able to catch you in that .

-------------
Pat
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/72ccfan/100_5977-1.jpg - My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Date Posted: October-17-2007 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Nice skiff Reid.There were 3 up here about 10 yrs ago,all had Chevy's in them.They must have been recreational ones, trans and lighting,but they haven't been around for a long time.The video dosen't do it justice tho,I'll bet it looks faster in real life.
Maybe next summer we can get all the blue Mustangs together for a video!
Is that motor left hand rotation?

Thanks Gary. I've only seen one in my life that didn't have a Chevy,...so far. The engine is standard rotation, mounted backerds (is that the way he spelled it?)meaning flywheel forward, so it's turning a RH prop.

Speaking of light blue Mustangs, there's decent looking '68 for a great price ($2500) on "boattraderonline.com" up in Wisc.   

Pat, don't think this thing'll show up in GL, unless it turns out we need a diversion for Barney. Get one of our most antagonistic members to drive it in circles at the other end of the lake. Who could that be?

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:27pm
With it being mounted with distributor in the the front,you can always pretend its a Ford motor. Some would never know the difference anyway!

-------------

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: October-25-2007 at 6:00pm
That thing sounds damn good for a chebby and looks the part too. I love the matching engine paint. That was a cool vid of the blue boats they both sound nice as well but not as stout as that skiff.

Posted By: MaddMarxx
Date Posted: December-16-2007 at 3:18am
reid..get a new motor in that puppy and bring to the river in Feb, boat dr, wants to race you!

-------------

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 2:53pm
Great idea MM. The new engine is ready to drop in now. It's gonna have a vortec 358 for a short spell (without quite the HP of the 283) until we find another good 283 donor. 62wood has offered up one but he refuses to deliver it from IL to NC for free(?). But that'd be a great place to run that boat. I'll work on it.     

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 2:58pm
What happened to the 283?

-------------

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Great idea MM. 62wood has offered up one but he refuses to deliver it from IL to NC for free(?). But that'd be a great place to run that boat. I'll work on it.     

Reid, two major ice storms within a week (two weeks ago) ...no power,heat, water, etc for almost two days.... now about a foot of snow on the ground(ice is still underneath)...hasnt been above freezing for over three weeks and winters not even started yet..... if I bring the 283 down ,can we stay at your place for a while........like April?

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:42pm

Bruce, I can only think of two reasons that Reid would pull the engine. More HP for speed or he blew up the 283!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce, I can only think of two reasons that Reid would pull the engine. More HP for speed or he blew up the 283!!

Pete, How you say ..... Kaaaaaabaaaang?!??

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Pete, How you say ..... Kaaaaaabaaaang?!??

Reid has been awful quite lately!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 4:04pm
I'd like to hear that story. Was it a major malfunction at WOT? What's it like having one of those things right in front of your feet let go at 7,000 rpms.

-------------

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 9:08pm
Yessir, she blew up. Broke a rod in half and then proceed to kill the block, the crank and a piston. And while I wasn't in the boat at the time (thank the Lord), Nautique John and I could hear it coming up the lake and all of a sudden we heard the engine die and went out near the water to see what we could see. About that time my phone rings and it's Nautique Matt saying to come get him. Tell you more later.   

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: December-17-2007 at 11:07pm
Ouch..bad enough for it to blow but destroying the block and crank it tough.
Blowed a 302 yrs ago, you could shake the front of the car and hear the water slosh around in the oil pan!

-------------

Posted By: MaddMarxx
Date Posted: December-18-2007 at 3:38am
we have a 283 block for you down here, stop by and pick it up when you pick up your new boat!   P.S. Dont forget to bring my GT-40 heads!!

-------------

Date Posted: December-18-2007 at 8:41am
Here, in a previous life is Reid behind the helm with Jerry in the mechanics seat. 4 Packard engines with a total of 6400HP!! I would have to say that the quest for speed has carried through to his present life!

He blew this one up as well!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-18-2007 at 11:30am
Wheres the ski pole?

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 67nautique312
Date Posted: December-18-2007 at 12:20pm
Reid,

Sorry to hear your luck....Damn that sucks!!!

-------------
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: December-20-2007 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 67nautique312 67nautique312 wrote:

Reid,

Sorry to hear your luck....Damn that sucks!!!

Thanks Paul, as you're being nice referring to it as luck. We've chauked it up to stupidity, as we weren't holding enough oil pressure for some reason, but we just kept banging on it. We got this 358 longblock for $450 and swapped everything over so we can continue to run it, and then we're gonna build another 283 this spring.

Pete, that's some engine set-up I had there, wasn't it. It's been so long ago I can't remember what kind of drive system I was using. Do you recall? I can't say if I had them in tandem or what, but it would fly. You tend to loose a lot of memory going from one life to the next.          

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: December-20-2007 at 12:55pm
Well I am officially jealous that it wont be nice enough up here to blow anything up for at least 4 months yet..

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: December-20-2007 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Well I am officially jealous that i wont be up to blow anything for at least 4 months yet..

-------------

Date Posted: December-20-2007 at 2:04pm
Reid, I wish I knew more about Miss America's drive train but can only guess by looking at the picture. They are mounted with the trans ends facing each other so I would have to say that each starboard or port pair went to a common gearbox and then to a down angle output to twin screws. It's also hard to see but the opposite ends where the carbs are sitting are probably where the PTO driven blowers are. Someone did restore her a few years back. Had it at a ACBS show and when starting it a backfire started a fire. Major damage and the boat was banned from future shows. Notice no flame arresters on the carbs!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-20-2007 at 3:35pm
Reid, I found some info on the drive train that Gar Wood used. Look like he set up the Packards like I thought.

Popular Mechanics, 1934, pp.536-9, 124A)
"Miss America X it was Wood's idea to use four twelve-cylinder motors not as four distinct motors but as two power plants. He wanted them in banks, two in line on the starboard side and two in line on the port side. Four motors had been hooked together before but with clutches between and the gear boxes forward.

This arrangement required dangerously long propeller shafts at the speeds Miss America's propeller wheels were to be turned. Wood wanted the gear boxes in the middle of the banks, giving his boat short, sturdy shafts that would stand the strain. In effect, what Wood wanted was to make two motors function as a single unit, with the crankshafts of each bank synchronized and turning as one shaft! Engineers said the oscillations of the shafts would be so great as to wreck the gear boxes with the motors running at any appreciable speed. But Wood stuck to his idea which was to spline the engine shafts in each bank in a specially designed and specially constructed gear box. Each gear box was to be the heart of each tandem, with two shafts fitting into a main driving gear through a splined hub which was common to both. And it worked."

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-20-2007 at 4:28pm
How fast did Miss America X go, Pete?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: December-20-2007 at 6:14pm
124.915 MPH I know they didn't have GPS back then so I don't know how they were able to get that accurate!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-20-2007 at 6:23pm
Holy Crap! Was that a record at the time?

Timing between two points can be a very accurate measurement of velocity. I'd guess a flying mile measurement would have been doable in the 30's

Thanks for the insight Pete. I always appreciate our resident encyclopedia.

-------------

Date Posted: December-21-2007 at 8:15pm
Pete, great work like Steve said. Thanks. The one thing that really bothers me is how much smarter and more mechanically inclined I obviously was in my previous life. I can't seem to find even half that speed today.    

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: December-21-2007 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

124.915 MPH I know they didn't have GPS back then so I don't know how they were able to get that accurate!

Because the 124.915mph is not a top speed. It is the average speed over a mile course, which of course if very easy to calculate with just a stop watch. The Miss America X was the first boat to average more than 124mph over a 1 mile course. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-21-2007 at 10:08pm
Brian, Good point with the stop watch! If the stop watch indicates 1/10 seconds, it would be very easy to come up with a speed taken out to thousands!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-22-2007 at 12:05am
Come one Reid it's easy to get that kind of speed. Just ask the guy running the stop watch not to start it until your three quaters of the way through the course. I am kidding of course. But 124 that is fast. I like to hit speeds of 150 and above in a car on a regular basis. I boat I am good with 60MPH.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: December-22-2007 at 1:22am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

I like to hit speeds of 150 and above in a car on a regular basis. I boat I am good with 60MPH.

What do you have that will do 150 and above?

My 2002 BMW 540i is electronically limited to 155.

-------------

Date Posted: December-22-2007 at 1:26am
2002 ZO6 corvette, I have seen 176 in it. I have also seen 178 in my brother's 2003 ZO6. He had a longer stretch of highway then I did. Plus I have an 86 mustang with a mild build and a 2.78 gear in it. It tops out at about 160 but takes a lot longer then the vettes to get there. Oh yeah plus other brother just brought home his shelby GT-500 two weeks ago. That thing is sweet.

-------------

Date Posted: December-22-2007 at 2:17am
Damn, you boys gots the toys!

-------------

Date Posted: December-22-2007 at 1:28pm
That't nothing! I had my 98 Explorer 5.OOOOH to 103, and it's now at 334K miles, by the way. James, if I come up/out to see you, will your brother with class, you know, the one with the GT500, take me for a ride?

Steve, I've actually been hunting my wife an 02-04 vintage sport pkg 540 wagon, and simply because of the 4.4 V8 and the prices are decent, and because I like the Bimmer wagons. But I'm just learning about them. My brother has a 3 series '05 wagon and he sorta got me interested, but I want a little more size(dog room) and a bit more umph (needs to be able to tow a CC Mustang).

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: December-22-2007 at 5:42pm
I love the 540, Reid. Mine has all the sport/M components (except for the engine, of course). 6 speed manual as well. The thing is solid as a rock and a blast to drive. I think the 4.4 is rated at around 300 hp and 280ish ft/lbs. Shouldn't be a problem tugging the Muskrat around.

I drove our Durango (with < 30,000 and only 2 trannies at the time) to test drive a '98 540 with 65,000 on the clock. The 540 was soooo solid that when I got back into the Durango, the damn thing felt as if it was falling apart (which it was, slowly).

That proved to me 2 things - I'll never own another Chrysler product, even though I think they are very nicely styled and I'd rather drive a used BMW than a new anything else for the same money.

I have been leasing a 2 year old BMW for 3 year span as a company car for the last 6 years. My current car is up in March and I think I can sneak a '06 550 under my budget! WHOO HOOO!

-------------

Date Posted: December-22-2007 at 10:45pm
Reid,

If you were to stop by anytime after May and before October. Yeah I would take you for a ride in it. My brother Jerry owns it, but he'll let me take it out when ever I want. Unfortunately he has the fast car in the family right now, as my brother Dennis and I have both sold our corvettes.

-------------

Posted By: WLKONH2O
Date Posted: January-04-2008 at 3:07am
It was a great day... She never ran better...
It was a sad day...

Reid and Nautique John to the rescue... Thank God for good old blue...

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/wknonwtr/?action=view¤t=TowIn283Dead.flv
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/wknonwtr/?action=view¤t=TowIn283Dead.flv">

Matt

-------------
WLKONH2O <><
96 Ski Nautique
Race City Marine
Inboard Parts & Repair

Posted By: WLKONH2O
Date Posted: January-04-2008 at 3:25am
Reid - I told you I wouldn't go so fast with Laurie in the boat...

-------------
WLKONH2O <><
96 Ski Nautique
Race City Marine
Inboard Parts & Repair

Date Posted: January-04-2008 at 11:08am
That is such a nice looking boat.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window