Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9123
Printed Date: September-28-2024 at 11:39pm

Topic: prop question
Posted By: bill1
Subject: prop question
Date Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:18pm
Are the prop, nut, cotter, and keyway the only things on the shaft? The reason I ask is today, I pulled my 81 sn to a the prop shop to have the prop pulled to get a facelift, and when the guy pulled the prop off, something fell from behind the prop like it might could have been some kind of spacer. It was bent up and neither of us knew what it was supposed to be. I assume this guy cleaning up my prop would have told me I need a new one if it was something i needed.

-------------
bill

Replies:
Posted By: bmiller
Date Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:27pm
My 78 mustang only has everything that you have except the extra part your talking about.Are you the only owner of the boat? If not maybe whoever owned it before you did something.If thats the case it was wrong.You should only have the prop,nut,cotterkey,and keyway.

Date Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:39pm
no, i'm not the only owner. i do know someone has worked on the prop before because they did not completely polish out the blades like they should have. so it has come off before.

-------------
bill

Posted By: skyhawkflyer
Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 1:38pm
My 87 SN has a prop nut, thin washer under the nut, the keyway and cotter pin. Thats it.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by skyhawkflyer skyhawkflyer wrote:

My 87 SN has a prop nut, thin washer under the nut, the keyway and cotter pin. Thats it.

The thin washer isn't always needed. It may be there so the shaft hole for the cotter pin will line up with one of the slots in the castlated nut.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 3:10pm
castellated or castlated or castrated......

Pete which of the spelling suits the nut??

Am asking as to the above post and the nut or nuts you are referring to

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 3:24pm
castle nut

I think it's castrated! Now we need a english major to figure out the correct spelling.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 3:42pm
Pete I do the "spell check' and go with the one that looks correct.
Often wonder about this language that we use and how it is impacts our life.What words mean what and how the spelling changes to plural or singular. Often resulting in a word that looks kinda' strange.
Just my Redneck kickin' in , sorry for the babbling........Merry Christmas to all........

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 4:09pm
C'mon guys, it's a 'K'astle nut!
Sorry Pete, couldn't resist...

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 8:48pm
Doc, I went into word perfect and used the spell check and then needed to open up the good old fashion book called a dictionary to make sure it was correct to the meaning. Here it is: castellated

Greg the C and K thing went right over my head. Thanks for bringing it up!! So, Kastellated must be the Scandinavian way of spelling it.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 9:16pm
Pete , I sure do love this site, and the people that inject their own humor ,,,,,

Merry Christmas to all

Kastellated must be the Scandinavian way of spelling it..

How would they spell Christmas???????
        With a C or a K

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: December-05-2007 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

How would they spell Christmas??????? With a C or a K

It's actually spelled the same way with a C. The even bigger event is just before Christmas which is the celebration of St. Lucia. We do crazy things like trying to start fires by putting candles on blonds heads.

This is further enhanced by drinking plenty of glug! (sorry I can't find the umlaut on this keyboard so I had to use the U instead of a O)

Speaking of Christmas, it reminds of the time I went into the post office to get some Christmas stamps. I didn't look at them until I got home and went to use them. Opened them up to find they were Kwanzaa stamps!! The USPS employee I bought the stamps from was a African American!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-06-2007 at 7:05pm
So, I assume the washer is not needed because it was so badly destroyed we couldn't recognize what it was. But I will know more when the prop goes back on.

-------------
bill

Date Posted: December-06-2007 at 7:37pm
Bill, When you get the prop back and install it, you can use a 3/4" stainless washer behind the nut if the castellations don't line up with the hole in the shaft. However, the nut only pushes the prop onto the taper on the shaft. It is this taper that holds the prop on. This taper is why a puller is needed to remove a prop. I have put many props on where I tightened the nut and then backed it off to get the cotter pin in. All this is dependent on the taper fitting properly. There are times especially on a new props and recommended by prop manufacturers that it be lapped into the shaft. Lapping compound is spread on the taper and then the prop is put on and then rotated. This removes the high spots on both the prop and the shaft. To check if it is required, blue layout dye is painted onto the taper and then the prop rotated. The high spots or a misfit taper will show up with bare spots of the blue dye. The bottom line is the nut is used to put the prop on. It stays on as a safety so you don't loose it when shifting into reverse with a bad fitting taper.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Munday
Date Posted: December-08-2007 at 2:02pm
My guess is what you found was the remains of fishing line or other debris wrapped and run over a period of time makes a nice rough washer between prop and strut.

Munday

-------------
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.

Date Posted: December-12-2007 at 6:47pm
just got my prop from its facelift ($125 for removal, facelift, and re-install). now would be a great time to run it because it is 80+ degrees outside. too tired now, just got off night shift for the past 7 days and 12 hr. shifts at that. it went on easily. i didn't use a washer or spacer. looks good as new. hope it runs that way. i asked the guy at the prop shop who made the prop. i figured acme or oj but he told me it is a federal 13x13, probably what come on the boat in 81.

-------------
bill

Print Page | Close Window