Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9173
Printed Date: September-28-2024 at 11:23pm

Topic: minor hull repair
Posted By: 76'SN
Subject: minor hull repair
Date Posted: December-10-2007 at 6:10pm
just curious about a small touch up job on the under side of my nautique. there are 2 or 3 fairly deep scratches that i was told to use bondo to fill in. will this work or is there a better solution. they are not deep enough to leak water.

-------------
hukt on fonix helpt me

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: December-10-2007 at 7:14pm
Chad, Go with one of the gel coat repair kits you find at a marine supply. I wouldn't use Bondo unless you are planning on doing a complete re gel of the whole hull.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: bill1
Date Posted: December-10-2007 at 9:18pm
Find a local or nearby fiberglass shop. they can get pretty close on matching to color. I priced a gelcoat repair kit a couple of months ago and the smallest kit was 100 bucks after you give them a color to match it to. You still have to do the work. A local shop here patched and repaired 3 different places on my boat for 75 bucks.

If it's a new boat, yes, get the kit so it will be matched more closely. It it's an older boat like mine, take it and let someone else do it.

-------------
bill

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: December-10-2007 at 10:01pm
Chad, Here's what I was referring to:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?dispName=Paint%20_%20Maintenance&jspStoreDir=wm51&catalogId=10001&Ntt=Gelcoat+Repair+Kits&N=377+710+995&langId=-1&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&omniTag=Category%3aGelcoat+Repair+Kits&storeId=10001 - gelcoat kits at West

This is a universal kit that you use the tints that come with the kit to come close to the color you need. You mentioned the scratches are on the bottom anyway!

Bill, I seem to remember that you were looking for a good match and the reason you looked at a Minicraft kit.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: bill1
Date Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:12am
yeh Pete, you did suggest a Minicraft kit. But let someone who does this everyday for $75 is a lot less than me ordering a kit and doing it myself for $100. And with the damage on the bottom side of an 81SN, the $75 option here worked better for me.

-------------
bill

Posted By: TRDon
Date Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:20am
I went the cheap route and did a plastic welder epoxy. It was 4 bux and waterproof, dries in 24 hours, is hard in 15 minutes and has lasted 5 years without wear. It was underneath so I really didnt care much about how it looked just that it sealed.

-------------
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport

Posted By: 76'SN
Date Posted: December-11-2007 at 1:56am
thanks for all of the insight. ive actually looked into several gel coat repair kits but since the problem areas are on the bottom i wasn't really planning on putting a whole lot into it. there is a scratch from one of the runners on the trailer and the other is up towards the bow i guess from beaching. just wasn't sure if there were any tricks that turned out decent as alternatives.

-------------
hukt on fonix helpt me

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-11-2007 at 11:21am
Originally posted by bill1 bill1 wrote:

yeh Pete, you did suggest a Minicraft kit. But let someone who does this everyday for $75 is a lot less than me ordering a kit and doing it myself for $100. And with the damage on the bottom side of an 81SN, the $75 option here worked better for me.

Bill, having gelcoat repaired- even if its a very minor repair- for $75 sounds like the deal of the century. I dont think thats a typical price for gelcoat work!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window