Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9262
Printed Date: September-28-2024 at 11:31pm

Topic: Dwell Angle
Posted By: Fasteddie
Subject: Dwell Angle
Date Posted: December-24-2007 at 10:11pm
I've been tuning up the massive inline 6 in the 63 American skier. The Mallory distributor plate lists a point gap of .024 and there are no dwell figures stamped. I was taught that the dwell angle is more critical than the point gap because of the coil saturation. When the points were set at .024 the dwell was less than 30 degrees when I closed the gap to .020 the dwell angle rose to about 36 degrees. I did some checking on the dwell for Ford inline 6's and they indicate a dwell of about 35-38 degrees. Should I be concerned with the dwell or just set the points to .024

Thanks

Merry Christmas

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-25-2007 at 4:05pm
The gap is inconsequential- its just an easier way to set a specific dwell. Since your dwell is right on, it sounds like youre good to go.

-------------

Posted By: nuttyskier2002
Date Posted: December-26-2007 at 3:49pm
Eddie, Tim is right on the money. The point gap and dwell are two methods of accomplishing the same thing......coil saturation! You want to give the coil the longest period of time to charge up as possible while keeping arcing between the points to a minimum. The dwell method is the most accurate so if you have the means to check dwell, always use this method.

-------------
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Print Page | Close Window