Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9411
Printed Date: September-27-2024 at 8:26pm

Topic: Battery Question
Posted By: dans
Subject: Battery Question
Date Posted: January-12-2008 at 6:21pm
Does anyone out there trickle charge their battery without unhooking it ? I Have been disconnecting it every time & was wondering if this is unnecessary.Sure would be easier to hook up the 1.5 amp battery tender trickle charger with the battery still hooked up. I just don't wanna fry something , thanks.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1404&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1981&yrend=198582 - 82 2001

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-12-2008 at 6:58pm
Dan, Keeping the cables hooked up to the boat doesn't hurt anything. It is sometimes a good idea to disconnect them just to clean up the posts and terminals. If you keep a charger hooked up, make sure it is a "maintainer" and not just a trickle charger as they over time will boil out the electrolyte. I'm in a freezing area and do leave my batteries in the boats disconnected making sure they are fully charged and without any maintainers hooked up. This is from Labor to Memorial days and have never had a problem. Some people do bring their batteries inside to a warm area thinking this is better for the battery. I obviously feel this isn't needed and may be a "old wives tale".

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: January-13-2008 at 12:29pm
Hey Pete, leaving them on a concrete floor....wives tale?

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-13-2008 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Hey Pete, leaving them on a concrete floor....wives tale?

Eric, There is some truth to this one but only if you have a VERY old lead acid battery. The early hard rubber cases were slightly hygroscopic allowing moisture to build up. This moisture in the case would create a electrical path to moist concrete and over long storage times, the batteries would self discharge. Interestingly, a piece of moist wood would do the same thing!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window