Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9718
Printed Date: September-28-2024 at 11:28pm

Topic: 1986 Martinique - gel coat cracking
Posted By: j.m.jackon
Subject: 1986 Martinique - gel coat cracking
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:52am
So I'm almost committed to buying another member's Martinique. It's rough around the edges and has been left outside, but all hope is not lost. The boat's hull has been painted, but what concerns me is on the side, there are vertical cracks about every six inches from about halfway down to where the side of the hull meets the bottom. They're not really visible looking straight on, but show up more when you're looking down the side at an angle. Since the boat has been painted, I can't tell if they're just in the paint, or the gel coat.

I haven't seen much information about these boats, but the current owner says that there's no wood in the boat other than the floor and seat frames. Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Behl
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 2:24am
I would say the stringers are also wood and the do rot

-------------
Steve in Indy

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1702&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980" rel="nofollow - Redone 1977 Ski Tique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 9:27am
j.m., I believe the last year that CC made the Martinique was 89 and the first year that wood wasn't used is 93. I feel the current owner is wrong. Hopefully he isn't trying to cover up problems with the stringers. What year is it? It was made for quite a few and with a couple different hulls.

Hope you join the group here of many knowledgable CC owners. Check out the reference section as it does have info on the Martinique. There are some good threads on checking stringers too. If you have any problems finding them, post and we'll help out. Welcome.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: j.m.jackon
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 10:44am
It's an '86, and it feels alot 'larger' than the ski nautique. The engine sits very low in the floor. From what I've gathered, 85 or 86 was the year of a new hull for the martinique. When we started it up, we had to change out the battery, and all the wood in the floor was wet. I can deal with busted vinyl and trim pieces, and even replacing the floor sounds like a long weekend's job, but stringers are something that I don't want to get into.

Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 10:51am
j.m., Most likely it's not only the floor that is wet and there is a problem with the stringers as well. It's not a real complicated job but does require a few man hours! If the price is right then it may not be a lost cause. The deep hull Martinique I believe is the same as the Barefoot Nautique?? Check out "weeding the pumpkin patch" thread.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:37am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The deep hull Martinique I believe is the same as the Barefoot Nautique?? Check out "weeding the pumpkin patch" thread.

Nope, not the same- but probably similar.

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:49am
Vertical cracks to me are a big sign to turn and run. There has to be some major flexing on that hull to cause them. I looked at a nautique last fall that had vertical cracks and it had bad stringers, they must have been rotted for a very long time as this boat was trashed. Pure speculation without seeing your potential boat but you better be prepared for stringer, floor replacement and new gel to get it done correctly. My guess is the paint was a cover up.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:50am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The deep hull Martinique I believe is the same as the Barefoot Nautique?? Check out "weeding the pumpkin patch" thread.

I always thought the hull was the same but the deck was different.

Edit, Scratch that, I was thinking of the Dominique.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I always thought the hull was the same but the deck was different.

Edit, Scratch that, I was thinking of the Dominique.

This is a tough one!! Not finding any info on lenghts and beam that may indicate a common hull, I looked at Barefoots in the diaries. The later years are listed as 20' or is that wrong? Was the barefoot lengthened? I did find a reference that the Martinique was 20'. I do agree that there were the years that the Barefoot/Dominique were the same with different decks. Any comments? Were's Woody when we need him?

Alan, good catch on the paint. Forgot j.m. mentioned that! j.m., I doubt it's just the paint that is cracked but rather a poor job of repairing the gel coat. It cracked again and then telegraphed through the paint.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:15pm
Pete, you mean youre not going to take my word for it?

The 87-88 Barefoot and Dominique shared the same deck and hull.

The '79-90 DD Barefoot Nautique hull was 19'(84" beam), while the 80's Martinique was 20'2" (94" beam).

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:23pm
Tim, I take your word on everything but the way you replied, it didn't sound like you were sure. Ok, I'll go for similar but not the same!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Majic1029
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:31pm
j.m. I also own an '86 Martinique. I love mine and am looking to replace the floor. If you haven't gathered by now, the floor and the stringers are wood.

Then again, I might be up to selling it and finding something that wouldn't require a new floor. I don't have any of the cracks in the gelcoat that you mentioned and mine has all the teak pieces except two cup holders.

Posted By: j.m.jackson
Date Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:38pm
I was in a rush to register last night and got my last name wrong in my userid... it's jackson. =)

81nautique, I'm leaning towards your conclusion, that the paint is a cover up. Maybe not intentional, but the result is the same.

Print Page | Close Window