Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9994
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 1:23am

Topic: Tranny issue
Posted By: kapla
Subject: Tranny issue
Date Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:25pm
Hi this is my situation with my power plus 1.23 tranny. When I go reverse and then to neutral the transmission stays idling in reverse. It wont go to neutral unless I give a little strike forward or if I idle in neutral gear. I guess its cable regulation as apart from that the tranny doesnŽt slip. Oil is changed every 100hs. Thanks Sebastian

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:46pm
Sounds like a cable adjustment issue to me as well. Try removing the cable from the trans and try operating it by hand to see how it feels.

-------------

Date Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:54pm
I bougth a new set of trans and throtle cables so IŽll post back when installed to let you know if problem was solve...

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: March-31-2008 at 10:25pm
if this ends up not being the problem, first and foremost always check the cables as indicated.

these trannys have 4 basic problems
1. water inside causing complete failure, which is not the case here
2. cracked forward drum, wont cause the problem you have
3. ring gear for reverse plantary comes loose and you completely loose reverse
4. reverse return snap ring land breaks and you get drag in nuetral (most likely if cable is in adjustment)
oil changes will not effect breakage, you really have to watch the forward to reverse shifting on these transmissions, make it a habit to shift into nuetral letting the prop stop and then shift into the other range within the means of being safe, remember the prop is spinning one direction and you nuetral skip and it allows the prop to do a complete 180, i know someone is thinking this is a ski boat and you are suppose to do this....this will add many hours to the transmissions life

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: April-01-2008 at 11:46pm

this is an example of a cracked forward drum out of a PCM trans, this will be found both in the 1:1 and the 1.23:1, in the 1:1 it can crack from to harsh of a shift or mis-alignment, this is probably the most frequent problem these transmissions have, it can be avoided by making sure the boat is in align and shifting at idle allowing the prop to stop turning and then shifting it into the other range, of course if you hit an object with the prop this also likely will happen to the drum. it basically is the weak link in the transmission.

-------------

Date Posted: April-01-2008 at 11:47pm

This is a Borg Warner planetary that was installed into a rebuilt transmission and the customer installed the trans into his boat completely overlooking alignment, i gather the boat would have been out .050 or so and he pulled the coupling halves together with the force of the bolts and never paid attention to the alignment. The transmission case was completely grooved at 12:00 o'clock position. all 6 of the planet gears were rounded as you see in the picture

-------------

Date Posted: April-01-2008 at 11:48pm

this drum failed due to water contamination, as you can see the top ring area is broken from pressing the drum out of the case, the hook style ring expands into the groove that wears into the case and then is impossible to remove without breaking, if you notice the bottem ring has clearance on the sides due to the water destroying the lubricating qualities of the oils and causing the rings to sieze in the groove in turn rotating in the case

-------------

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: April-02-2008 at 12:33am
This will possibly be deleted but will ask the question anyway.

Were the pics taken before or after a trip to YOUR rebuild bench............Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: shawnmc
Date Posted: April-02-2008 at 1:18am
bad form boat dr.

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: April-02-2008 at 1:22am
Thats Boat dr,I thought it was a legit question,mybad...........Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:11pm
Eric I still didnŽt got the chance to check for cable adjustment but since i noticed the problem (5 months ago) it didnŽt got better nor worse. So iŽll wait untill the end of the season to adjust and check everything.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:55am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

iŽll wait untill the end of the season to adjust and check everything.

Why? All it takes is 2 minutes of your time with a 5/16" wrench to dial it in if all it needs is a cable adjustment.

-------------

Date Posted: April-12-2008 at 11:34am
TR, theres always time to pull them when they burn up

-------------

Date Posted: April-16-2008 at 8:41pm
This weekend IŽll check adjustment with a friend, IŽll will also check the alligment as well. Regarding this last issue you think is a hard task for a regular person with some mechanic skills, or it have to be done by a pro? what tools should i consider to use undergoing this job?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window