NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

okie boarder's house

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 2:00pm
The fridge has electrical and plumbing roughed in. The cooktop has gas and electrical roughed in. No, the exhaust hood isn't roughed through the roof yet.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Everything has been roughed in so I'm not sure we can change cooktop or fridge location at this point, either. .

Andy,
It doesn't take much to move NM electric rough ins! Is the exhaust hood roughed through the roof?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Andy,
The work triangle as mentioned is between the frig, range and sink. I scaled your drawing at about 28' including getting around the island. Since the sink has been roughed in you are stuck with it's location but you have plenty of room to work the frig and range in other locations. Keep in mind you need counter space on each side of the range and sink for "set down" areas. Think about a counter depth frig since standard depth sticks out reducing your working isle.

Just an opinion but your contractor may be a skilled cabinet maker but what about his finishing skills? I've seen plenty of on site built cabinets where the finish starts showing it's age in some cases less than 5 years. On site, there is no way a factory finish can be duplicated. I suggest you look at cabinets before making the decision. Linking isn't working and I don't want to do it manually but google Holiday Kitchen and used their dealer finder to see if you have one close to you. I have never seen a better made cabinet. Stay away from the big box stores!!

I noticed Duane mentions stone for counter top. Besides the higher cost, keep in mind it's porous so it can be a microbial breeding ground and is a PITA to maintain. Consider a solid surface.

Everything has been roughed in so I'm not sure we can change cooktop or fridge location at this point, either. I was looking at counter depth refrigerators at first and found a lot of disadvantages being pointed out like higher cost, less room in the fridge and more limits on models and features to choose from since there aren't as many offerings in that style.

The finishing of the cabinets is up to us...we're handling all paint and finishing throughout the house to help with cost savings. We're still contemplating on what type of finish we're going to do on the cabinets, but we're leaning towards an antique whitewashed type technique with a dark glaze over the top to make it look old farmhouse style.

I'll check out Holiday Kitchen to see what they offer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Pete, maybe you misread my post. Granite is the best top you can buy. IMO

Duane,
Sorry but you haven't done your research.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pete, they don't have a range.

Excuse me!! Would a drop in "cook top" be more appropriate?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

We remodeled our kitchen recently and installed a "pot filler" above the stove. Saves a lot of steps to the sink. Also to help with the budget we built our granite counter tops from 24X24 tiles from the TILE SHOP. 5/8" thick granite with almost no chamfer on the edges so you butt them up tight with no grout lines. They have all the inside and outside corners along with the front trim (martels I think). Just a thought. Can post a couple pics if you want. Duane

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend for the pot filler? From what I looked at they seem rather expensive. We are planning granite and our contractor worked out a special deal with his stone guy to get us a really good price. What was your price per sq ft with the tiles? Yeah, pics would be great.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:53pm
If granite is not stone how would you classify it?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:49pm
[I noticed Duane mentions stone for counter top. Besides the higher cost, keep in mind it's porous so it can be a microbial breeding ground and is a PITA to maintain. Consider a solid surface]
Granite??? Pete, maybe you misread my post. Granite is the best top you can buy. IMO
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:40pm
Pete, they don't have a range.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:30pm
Andy,
The work triangle as mentioned is between the frig, range and sink. I scaled your drawing at about 28' including getting around the island. Since the sink has been roughed in you are stuck with it's location but you have plenty of room to work the frig and range in other locations. Keep in mind you need counter space on each side of the range and sink for "set down" areas. Think about a counter depth frig since standard depth sticks out reducing your working isle.

Just an opinion but your contractor may be a skilled cabinet maker but what about his finishing skills? I've seen plenty of on site built cabinets where the finish starts showing it's age in some cases less than 5 years. On site, there is no way a factory finish can be duplicated. I suggest you look at cabinets before making the decision. Linking isn't working and I don't want to do it manually but google Holiday Kitchen and used their dealer finder to see if you have one close to you. I have never seen a better made cabinet. Stay away from the big box stores!!

I noticed Duane mentions stone for counter top. Besides the higher cost, keep in mind it's porous so it can be a microbial breeding ground and is a PITA to maintain. Consider a solid surface.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:19pm
We remodeled our kitchen recently and installed a "pot filler" above the stove. Saves a lot of steps to the sink. Also to help with the budget we built our granite counter tops from 24X24 tiles from the TILE SHOP. 5/8" thick granite with almost no chamfer on the edges so you butt them up tight with no grout lines. They have all the inside and outside corners along with the front trim (martels I think). Just a thought. Can post a couple pics if you want. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 11:53am
Hmmm, not sure how we would like that layout. Were you thinking between the cooktop and oven stack, or between the cooktop and sink? I'll have to measure it out on site, but by my drawing, we may be right at the 23' threshold.

We've had some discussions on the general layout with a couple friends and family members. While we're bucking the norm a bit, we felt like this layout gave us sort of a two triangle configuration with the island being common to the two triangles. I think islands typically tend to throw a bit of a curve ball in the mix, right?

The cabinets will be custom made, on site, and is one of the tasks we are doing to keep within budget. Our contractor is skilled at finish carpentry and he typically builds the cabinets and trims them out. For our house, we will be working together to build everything out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 8:56am
Andy,
The maximum total distance (work triangle) between the frig, range and sink should not exceed 23'. You've also got the island blocking one of the legs of the triangle. Move the frig over on the wall with the range.

What make of cabinets have you been looking at?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 8:50am
So, we have been working on finalizing the design for the kitchen cabinets and decided to make one change, which was to put the oven stack in a corner. The layout and elevations have been sketched out and looks like we have a pretty good design. Here are some pictures showing the design. Any thoughts or suggestions?

We were actually at the house this weekend doing clean up, and laid out the design to see how it would look an feel.

Pulled the truck in the garage while we were there. Looks like it's going to fit just fine. ;-)

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:10am
Agreed. We mainly reduced the number per room in some areas.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 10:36am
Andy,
Reducing the number of recessed lights is a cost reduction but keep in mind if you compare them to the cost of installing a ceiling hex box and then the cost of a ceiling fixture, the recessed are cheap.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 7:49pm
Things are continuing to progress along. HVAC rough-in is done. Plumbing and electrical rough-in is close. We've had a few things come up that affected budget, so some changes are being made to adjust, and we may take on some additional tasks as part of the process. As you may remember in the plans, we did a lot of can lights, so there are very few fixtures. We actually went through and eliminated quite a few where there was a bit overkill in some rooms. If all goes well, electrical will be finished this week, along with windows, then it is on to exterior finish.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 11:02pm
Continued progress. Last week and into the he weekend, the framing has been finished and the roof is up. The electrician is now getting started and further work on the plumbing is taking place. If all goes well, we should be sheet rocked and textured by mid to late February, then we start much of the finish work. I'm sure we'll be out working on the house every chance we can get so we progress quickly.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 2:32pm
When we looked at things Saturday, we looked for the collar ties, and they are in on every rafter. They also added purlins with 2-3 supports at various points.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Yes Collar ties! Forgot to say that also. Every other at least, but if it was mine and that scenario I would do every single one

I'm pretty sure he said collar ties are going in. These framers seem top notch based on what I've seen. The tie everything together very solidly and seem to do things right.

Good deal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 1:22pm

Yes Collar ties! Forgot to say that also. Every other at least, but if it was mine and that scenario I would do every single one

I'm pretty sure he said collar ties are going in. These framers seem top notch based on what I've seen. The tie everything together very solidly and seem to do things right.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 1:21pm
Trusses are a more expensive option here versus the stick build roof. Those roof joists are 2x8's.

We had a bit of an issue getting the temporary power connected and didn't want to delay our progress, so we rented a generator. The temp pole was approved, permitted and set...we're just waiting on the electric coop to schedule the job for connection. It required me getting involved instead of just my contractor, like in the city. Also, our recent ice storms have kept all the electric companies busy.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 12:01pm
Kinda strange that they are using a gen-set instead of a temporary power pole. In this area a temporary meter is the first thing they set.   It is part of your permits Just seemed strange.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:50am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:30am

Pete I asked him about snow fall. Initially looking at the pictures they look to be 2x6's on the main "larger" roof. Without knowing the "run" on that room, but 2x6's seem to be cutting it close on the span tables. Hopefully they can post the ridge I several spots. But I bet theres some bounce in the mid of those rafters when standing up there.
Exciting stuff right there though for you and your family

I agree. It looks like the max run with a 2x6 and a 20psi load is 12' on 16" with SPF and only a 9' span on 16" with a 40psi load. It sure wouldn't work in a snow load area!

The other nice feature of roof trusses is they don't rely on the wall cap plates to maintain the vertical to horizontal loading. No collar ties ether however all they do is bend the rafters down with a load.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:15am
Garage space looks sweet.

Keep the pics coming.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Andy,
Snow loading wasn't the reason I asked about the roof trussing. It's from an economical point. The labor and lumber involved with a stick built roof far exceeds having roof trusses factory made. Too bad it's not a common method down there.

Pete I asked him about snow fall. Initially looking at the pictures they look to be 2x6's on the main "larger" roof. Without knowing the "run" on that room, but 2x6's seem to be cutting it close on the span tables. Hopefully they can post the ridge I several spots. But I bet theres some bounce in the mid of those rafters when standing up there.
Exciting stuff right there though for you and your family
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:07am
The storage space you get with a stick framed roof is well worth the added cost at times. Attic trusses are available but they are very heavy and cost savings are diminished. As a carpenter, I always enjoyed framing the roof.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:01am
Andy,
Snow loading wasn't the reason I asked about the roof trussing. It's from an economical point. The labor and lumber involved with a stick built roof far exceeds having roof trusses factory made. Too bad it's not a common method down there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Digging the 3 bay garage!...Lookin good Mon'!

Thanks. It seems huge when you're standing in it, but I think we'll be glad we oversized it and made it more like a shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic