Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinegar Flush Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
LiquidObsession View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinegar Flush Help
    Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:35pm
Best advice received thus far!!! 👍🏻
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:22pm
Obviously the fix was as a result of something your wife suggested

Just tell her that and keep her happy.

If you're not melting hoses, you fixed something somewhere along the way.

Good job

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:07pm
Ok guys test results are in... drum roll...

Purring like a kitten on catnip!

She ran better and cooler than she has since I bought her. Took her out to Bullards Bar yesterday and checked temps using my IR gun. Temp was extremely stable at 150deg all day.

Did I fix the problem end of last season not knowing it because my faulty gauge told me otherwise? Or did replacing the circ pump, manifold and exhaust hose clear things up?

Unfortunately looks like I'm never going to know for sure what exactly caused her to overheat.

Now to have my gauge repaired.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 12:17pm
If you've proven out that your gauge is wrong and are going to replace it, and you've proven out and replaced potential problem parts, here's what I'd do next. Run it on the trailer with a "timmy T" feeding it water. Don't use other methods, the beauty of the T is that the engine takes the water it needs, and can pull, without anything pressurizing the water feed. That way you are as close to being in the lake as you can get. Run it to verify good water flow out the exhaust, more as you move the rpm up to maybe 1,500 or so. Run it for a good long time at 1,000 rpm and see if any spots on the engine or manifolds get too hot. If you have proper water flow coming out the exhaust and no hot spots on the manifolds then I don't have a clue what problem remains.

There of course is no way to put a load on the engine so there's only so much heat it can generate. But if you had a melting hose problem I'd think you'd find a hot spot like that even running on the trailer. Good luck Ferris.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 12:05pm
It's his day off today

Maybe you unknowingly fixed the problem somewhere along the way or at least I hope you did since normal temps don't melt exhaust hoses etc. like what happened to you in the beginning..

I'd use an infra red gun and check temps or get a capillary tube type temp gauge and temporarily put it in place of your electrical sending unit and see what you have for readings.

Sounds like right now all you can do is run it and check temperature.

I think Bueller is getting ready to take the Ferrari for a ride right about now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 11:10am
Anyone?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 12:06pm
UPDATE and TEMP GUAGE HELP

Result: NO SMOKING GUN!

On the up side my cooling system looks great... down side, we couldn't find any obstructions or bad parts at all that would cause overheating. Since we were already doing a deep dive I replaced the circ pump, thermostat and impeller just in case.

WHAT WE DID FIND:
While testing the temperature sending unit he told me it was working normal but that my gauge was giving bad readings.

His test notes:
----------------
"Ran boat @ idle for 10min"
Actual        Gauge   
119               150
151               180
154               200       Stabilized, sending unit is 128.6 ohms
140 deg should be 121-147 ohms, this looks like a bad dash gauge.
----------------

Ohms and such are out of my wheelhouse so any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated as always.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 8:48pm
Thanks for posting the photo Keno!
So no magic bullet huh? Bummer. Kinda hoping I'd hear "well THERES yer problem!".
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 5:57pm

Here it is, looking OK from this view, you'd probably destroy it trying to get the impeller off the shaft.

Looks a lot better than the 2 piece one in an earlier photo

I seem to be able to see the end of every impeller blade in the photo

Looks like a good spare if nothing else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 4:48pm
Mechanic took a photo for me. I emailed it to you as this site isn't allowing me to upload from my phone.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 2:04pm
Good to hear back

Do you think you could take a picture of the internals of the original circulating pump if you still have it?

Only a handful of little bolts to take the plate off the back of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 11:50am
Quick update: my mechanic and I decided to start at the exhaust and work forward. Pulled every part and inspected parts & hoses. Not ONE indication of any blockage anywhere. Baffling! One of the riser bolts snapped flush with the manifold due to high corrosion so we're waiting until Monday to fix that little hiccup. Replaced circ pump just in case since we were already doing a deep dive into the cooling system. We'll finish our hunt when the manifold issue is fixed and we can start her up.. More to come.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2017 at 12:24am
missing link?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Dave,

Here is the list you really need to follow:
Read the thread and follow the recommendations BEFORE YOU ORDER ANYTHING!!!

I'm not seeing a link
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 12:28pm
Dave,

Here is the list you really need to follow:
Read the thread and follow the recommendations BEFORE YOU ORDER ANYTHING!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 11:55am
btw... I ask because I'm ordering parts this week so I'm ready to go when the weather clears. The list feels small to me for some reason. So far the new parts list is:
Impeller kit
Thermostat + gasket
Riser gaskets (in case I find myself having to remove the risers as previously discussed)
Riser Exhaust hoses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 11:46am
Thanks again guys... I'm just anxious to get started. The weather here won't clear up and I do not want to start this with the distraction of pouring rain and wind.

I've decided I'm going to start at the intake... check every single point for good flow, seal, blockage, cracks, failed parts etc... and work my way to the exhaust. Too much hunting and pecking has been done at this point. I'll be posting photos along the way so you all can hopefully catch any stupid human tricks I may perform.

Question: since I'll be pulling all cooling parts to check them anyway should I be replacing all of those gaskets as well along the way? Also, aside from changing out the impeller and thermostat (which are cheap anyway) are there any other parts you think I should just go ahead and replace regardless if they're in good shape or not? Sensors, pumps etc? If, for example, say the circ pumps eventually fail anyway it seems logical to just replace it while it's all opened up.
Or is that total overkill and I'd just be throwing parts at it? ;)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 9:50am
Looks like PCM had issues too.See link below from Ball of Spray. Particularly Jody's posts

Ball of Spray link

And here's the service update bulletin mentioned in Jody's post

bulletin

I think this issue was a while after Dave's 2004 engine was made, but it wouldn't hurt to check the circ water pump since it could happen to any pump over time
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Good idea Ken. I had to change my Shamrocks pump due to a seal leak,a PO had used an automotive pump. Although I had no cooling symptoms or issues most of the impeller fins had rusted off from saltwater use. I doubt thats his trouble but I have heard of the impellers spinning on the shafts.

This one was an Indmar 5.7 Chevy, picture was stolen from the Mastercraft website

And here's a thread from CCF also about an Indmar but I bet they all get their circ water pumps from GM when they buy the engines from them

CCF thread

The end result of these broken impellers was overheating and there were recalls to replace pumps. Don't know about PCM issues/recalls but I bet it makes some noise if you rotate it by hand if it looks like these.

That shaft might spin smoothly with no noise and you'd actually have to take the pump off the engine and take the plate off the pump and inspect it

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2017 at 11:24pm
Good idea Ken. I had to change my Shamrocks pump due to a seal leak,a PO had used an automotive pump. Although I had no cooling symptoms or issues most of the impeller fins had rusted off from saltwater use. I doubt thats his trouble but I have heard of the impellers spinning on the shafts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2017 at 10:10pm
Hi Dave

I was thinking about your issues and one thought that popped into my head as something else to check was your circulating pump on the engine if you think your raw water pump is working as it should.

That's the circulating pump, not the raw water pump. Same belt drives both, but it would be relatively easy to remove the belt and spin the circulating pump by hand. It should spin smooth and very easy with no funny noises or wobble on the shaft.

If it had bad bearings it could have been what made your belt start fraying. If they were real bad you'd hear some metallic scraping noises.

you could check that the alternator spins free and easily too.

Like I said, just a thought and easy to check    edit I see it was mentioned on PN a while back but don't know if you checked it,

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 7:05pm
Dave

There's a PM in your inbox
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

But.........a chewed up impeller due to let's say, improper assembly gets worse with every revolution it makes till it's degraded to the point where it no longer is pumping enough to keep the engine or manifolds cool.

And, running it dry. The impeller relies on water for a lubricate. It doesn't take much time to degrade without water. Any chance the engine was run without water even briefly?

Originally posted by LiquidObsession LiquidObsession wrote:

Just to clarify... when I said "chewed up" I meant it wasn't smooth anymore. It was in tact but looked as though it had been heated up... surfaces weren't smooth anymore. Perhaps it had run dry briefly.

The impeller had been run dry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

[QUOTE=LiquidObsession] When it comes to Correct Craft's the experts on this site are more knowledgeable than any mechanic that you will find. Let them help you by doing what they ask you to do and then provide accurate feedback. Even if you have to throw a few parts at it you will still be way ahead financially.

That gives me some confidence. Thank you.

UPDATE: I just looked up a video I took of me installing the impeller the first time. I did in fact pay attention to the "UP" and installed it correctly.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by LiquidObsession LiquidObsession wrote:

So my wife and I chatted last night about this. We're "thinking about" possibly putting this on a credit card. NOT what I want to do but to be perfectly honest I'm concerned I'll only make this worse. I'm also not sure if I should use the same mechanic I've been using (he comes to the house) or go to a shop. Anyone live near Auburn Ca and/or Sacramento that has any recommendations? An honest shop that caters to the blue collar "regular guy"?

Back Story: I don't have money to burn. Where other folks go on vacations during the year and ALSO go out on the boat... This boat IS our summer vacations. Boating goes back 3 generations in my family... it's in our DNA.   And my limited experiences with boat shops so far have been that they overcharge and take their time. (My experience)
So one... it's extremely important for me to get this fixed. Two... I don't have the resources to have a shop spend weeks and a couple grand figuring it out. I know... then don't own a boat.

When it comes to Correct Craft boats the experts on this site are more knowledgeable than any mechanic that you will find. Let them help you by doing what they ask you to do and then provide accurate feedback. Even if you have to throw a few parts at it you will still be way ahead financially.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I didn't say impeller, I said pump, when replacing the face of the pump it can be installed at the wrong rotation/orientation, that is why the word TOP is stamped on it. Trust me, I have serviced that pump dozens of times on my boat and have almost reinstalled incorrectly more than once.

I've made the mistake of installing the pump in upside down. Easy mistake to make. I use the hose method with forced water, so it didn't cost me a fried impeller. I learned after that and now my pump has UP and an arrow pointing up to help me remember.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 12:52pm
So my wife and I chatted last night about this. We're "thinking about" possibly putting this on a credit card. NOT what I want to do but to be perfectly honest I'm concerned I'll only make this worse. I'm also not sure if I should use the same mechanic I've been using (he comes to the house) or go to a shop. Anyone live near Auburn Ca and/or Sacramento that has any recommendations? An honest shop that caters to the blue collar "regular guy"?

Back Story: I don't have money to burn. Where other folks go on vacations during the year and ALSO go out on the boat... This boat IS our summer vacations. Boating goes back 3 generations in my family... it's in our DNA.   And my limited experiences with boat shops so far have been that they overcharge and take their time. (My experience)
So one... it's extremely important for me to get this fixed. Two... I don't have the resources to have a shop spend weeks and a couple grand figuring it out. I know... then don't own a boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 12:24pm

This quote was from a couple of days ago talking about maybe your last overheat.

(Beginning of quote) The impeller was definitely chewed up after that overheat.
My question is... if I damaged the water pump back in the beginning why would it perform just fine (even now) during fake-a-lake driveway idling but fail out on the water? Isn't a failing pump a failing pump regardless? I get great flow out of the pipes as confirmed by my mechanic when he came to check it all out last season. (end of quote)

I figure, just to keep you off the vinegar kick, I'll point out that a chewed up impeller doesn;t happen because you have cruddy exhaust that needs cleaning.

But.........a chewed up impeller due to let's say, improper assembly gets worse with every revolution it makes till it's degraded to the point where it no longer is pumping enough to keep the engine or manifolds cool. So.......stay off the juice and look at the pump like mentioned before Agreed. I think I'll be looking closely front to back on the entire RWC system at this point.

Just to clarify... when I said "chewed up" I meant it wasn't smooth anymore. It was in tact but looked as though it had been heated up... surfaces weren't smooth anymore. Perhaps it had run dry briefly.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 10:05am

But.........a chewed up impeller due to let's say, improper assembly gets worse with every revolution it makes till it's degraded to the point where it no longer is pumping enough to keep the engine or manifolds cool.

And, running it dry. The impeller relies on water for a lubricate. It doesn't take much time to degrade without water. Any chance the engine was run without water even briefly?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 9:50am

This quote was from a couple of days ago talking about maybe your last overheat.

(Beginning of quote) The impeller was definitely chewed up after that overheat.
My question is... if I damaged the water pump back in the beginning why would it perform just fine (even now) during fake-a-lake driveway idling but fail out on the water? Isn't a failing pump a failing pump regardless? I get great flow out of the pipes as confirmed by my mechanic when he came to check it all out last season. (end of quote)

I figure, just to keep you off the vinegar kick, I'll point out that a chewed up impeller doesn;t happen because you have cruddy exhaust that needs cleaning.

But.........a chewed up impeller due to let's say, improper assembly gets worse with every revolution it makes till it's degraded to the point where it no longer is pumping enough to keep the engine or manifolds cool. So.......stay off the juice and look at the pump like mentioned before
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic